Sign in to follow this  
Spook

Red Arrow Has Crashed

Odd that he didn't eject. I expect that we'll get to find out after the inquiry. Those pilots are the best of the best though.

Indeed they are, and an epic loss. Do they need to be at a certain hight to eject?

It's been forevere since I posted. Sorry to have to post on an occasion like this. We just had a crash here in KC at our airshow. Bryan Jensen crash his Pitts Special "The Beast" and was killed. My FB page has all the links. Jeff Nielsen.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Indeed they are, and an epic loss. Do they need to be at a certain hight to eject?
I don't know, but the ejector seats in those Hawks have rocket boosters apparently, so I guess that gives some advantage when ejecting from not too far above ground. I'm sure if it was possible to eject he would have.

My sympathies to his family and friends. Dual controls? What's up with that! I should think one control is enough.

Dual controls? What's up with that! I should think one control is enough.
Dual controls is for training. The BAE Hawk that this team uses primary role is a training aircraft. This is why it has dual controls...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Hawk

Matthew Kane

What if something happens that reguires him to take his hand off one of the controls at a crucial time? which I believe is what caused him to crash . Too many things happening at once for him to recover.

I heard a report that he had just made a 'high-G' turn to line up for histurn in the approach queue for a landing at Bournemouth. Obviously apossibility of 'Grey-out' ?. I saw this occur once - many years ago I was watching an air display at theold Woodford airfield (Now Vauxhalls plant at Ellesmere Port, UK) wheresix meteors were performing the loop. One of them did not exit the loop onthe dive and went straight in. That sound of the 'C-R-U-U-M-P' as the aircrafthit some 300 yards away stays with you for a long time. That report, if I recall, concluded that the pilot had suffered from G-forcesand had been rendered unconcious. A very sad incident. My sincere condolences to the family, and the team. Bill Cusick