Sign in to follow this  
danielwest

Landing speed

I have some difficulties landing properly mainly because of speed issues. My last flight was into EHAM (ILS18R), fully rigged for the ILS approach (Cat-I, no autoland). Flaps 30, Vref set via CDU (148 kts). MCP speed set to 153 (148+5, wind was marginal), spoilers armed, autobrake level 1. About 1000ft I disengage AP and continue manually. A/T switched off subsequently, using throttle to maintain Vapp of 153 but when I flare and retard (flare starts at 50; retard around 30-20 ft), my speed is so high that I shoot up again. It feels as if the true Vref is a good 25 knots lower. Because of this speed decrease, I almost fall down onto the tarmac giving me a hard landing :( Anyone experiencing this or can someone give me some pointers? I only experience this with the NXG. I have flown the iFly and I don't seem to have that problem there. Another question: My reverse thrust kicks in really late, as in ... really really late, I think around 90-80 kts whenI hear the reverse engines roar. At that time I already covered a significant part of my role out. Any news on this too? Cheers, I appreciate any help that can be given :)

Hey Nameless, What was your Estimated Landing Weight? For Reverse - you have to check your hardware isnt overriding the keyboard commands. Cheers, Chris.

Hello Chris, Landing weight was around 59.1k About the reversers: I should check the settings then. Though I didn't have the same problem with the iFly. EDIT: 738WL - LF about 73% Cheers, Daniel

Slowly retard throttles between 100ft and 50ft, and gently flare at about 10ft. Gives me smooth landings all the time.

Dave P. Woycek

Slowly retard throttles between 100ft and 50ft, and gently flare at about 10ft. Gives me smooth landings all the time.
Thanks, I am going to try that :)Cheers, Dan