Sign in to follow this  
ga

Do real pilots use the moust Autoland or Manuell land the plane?

I myself(100% amature simmer) use autoland(ILS) 90% off the time when landing, see some post that this is devided on the subject on what real pilotes use, any real comersial pilots in here that can confirm what you guys use moust use , manuell or auto land(ILS) ;)

According to airline policy. Most pilots, I think, try to do it manually from time to time just to stay proficient.In the sim, I rarely ever use autoland. Trevor

At Ryanair it is all Manual landings but an autoland must be made within a given time frameto conform with JAA (JAR).We use TOGA for takeoff and engage the autopilot at 1000 ft.Mostly fly the whole route using LNAV and VNAV. Frederic.

I think it changes from airline to airline and country to country. In the USA, most pilots will land manually, unless weather requires them to autoland. I also flew in a country in Asia, pilots were much more likely to use autoland.

Matt Cee

Thx Gents, Frederic are you a 737 pilot, just woundering since you always give good answers and you say you guys in Ryanair etc. ;)

History has shown that pilots don't like to give up their landing to the autopilot. We at American (and I assume other airlines) have had planes have to divert because the weather was at autoland minimums and the plane had not had it's madatroy auto land to maintain currency. They actually put notes on the flight plan when the plane is nearing then end of it's currency and the pilots still won't give up their landing. I guess they figure let the next guy do it. Plus when you do an auto land in good weather you must tell ATC so they will keep other planes out of the ILS protected zone. Pilots have been violated for this because the plane will agressively follow the LOC and GS even if it is interfered with by ground traffic. Of course here our 737s aren't even certified for auto land. We use the HUD for all low visibility landings. It is much cheaper to keep certified and Captains are required to use the HUD for all takeoff and landings anyway so all they need to do is enter the HUD landing in the computer to keep it current.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Thx Gents, Frederic are you a 737 pilot, just woundering since you always give good answers and you say you guys in Ryanair etc. ;)
Retired from flying since 2009.Am now involved in professional flight simulation and cockpit building for simulation. I flew with Ryanair for 12 years.Glad to be out of it really.What I do now is much more interesting and exciting.Flight Simulation is a huge industry worldwide now. I truely love the NGX !!!A major leap forward in the flight sim world. Fred.

Some operations may require you to use it for currency. I have only used it once(cargo ops) and that was during a training flight. Just remember that the airport must have a CAT3 approach in order to use it. I would figure you would use it when CAT3 mins are the only option to get in. Other that i would think it would be used for currency or a ops check of the system.

Sometimes Otto will land the plane, other times Manuel will land. Just depends on whose leg it is.

I myself(100% amature simmer) use autoland(ILS) 90% off the time when landing, see some post that this is devided on the subject on what real pilotes use, any real comersial pilots in here that can confirm what you guys use moust use , manuell or auto land(ILS) ;)
From the JustPlane and other cockpit videos that I've watched, they disconnect the auto pilot between 1000 and 500 ft and land manually.Autoland is saved for extremely low visibility or as required to keep the aircraft current.
Retired from flying since 2009.Am now involved in professional flight simulation and cockpit building for simulation. I flew with Ryanair for 12 years.Glad to be out of it really.What I do now is much more interesting and exciting.Flight Simulation is a huge industry worldwide now. I truely love the NGX !!!A major leap forward in the flight sim world. Fred.
Gosh, I love to read posts like this. Really gets me excited about having the NGX.
History has shown that pilots don't like to give up their landing to the autopilot. We at American (and I assume other airlines) have had planes have to divert because the weather was at autoland minimums and the plane had not had it's madatroy auto land to maintain currency. They actually put notes on the flight plan when the plane is nearing then end of it's currency and the pilots still won't give up their landing. I guess they figure let the next guy do it. Plus when you do an auto land in good weather you must tell ATC so they will keep other planes out of the ILS protected zone. Pilots have been violated for this because the plane will agressively follow the LOC and GS even if it is interfered with by ground traffic. Of course here our 737s aren't even certified for auto land. We use the HUD for all low visibility landings. It is much cheaper to keep certified and Captains are required to use the HUD for all takeoff and landings anyway so all they need to do is enter the HUD landing in the computer to keep it current.
That is pretty much what I see on the cockpit videos that I watch. They will make a big deal out of it if the pilot chooses to perform a full autoland on the video and it is just when it is time to keep the a/p current.

I thought CAT II ILS was able to be used for autoland as well? Am I wrong in this?
CATII will get you down to 100ft. CATIII will take you lower. That's why that runway has to be certified to CATIII requirements. Different markings, lights, emergency power, etc. You can try to autoland on a CATII runway, but it would'nt be legal.

I was surprised to learn when I worked at Southwest Airlines that they took the Auto-Throttles out of the -700's when they first began to receive them because none of their earlier 737's had them in there, and they wanted all the flight decks to conform as much as possible. Hence why they downgrade the displays (in my opinion) with the "old school" avionic displays.