Sign in to follow this  
ga

Do real pilots use the moust Autoland or Manuell land the plane?

I myself(100% amature simmer) use autoland(ILS) 90% off the time when landing, see some post that this is devided on the subject on what real pilotes use, any real comersial pilots in here that can confirm what you guys use moust use , manuell or auto land(ILS) ;)
If you can, get your hands on one of the 737NG DVDs, you'll get a good feel for how real airline operations work. There's a good WestJet 737-700 one out there. There's also a Norwegian 737-800 one I haven't seen yet but I hear it's pretty good... In short, most airline pilots disengage the AP somewhere below 2,000 AGL and hand fly it in. Why use Autoland when you don't have to? Boring...

Brandon Burkley

I myself(100% amature simmer) use autoland(ILS) 90% off the time when landing, see some post that this is devided on the subject on what real pilotes use, any real comersial pilots in here that can confirm what you guys use moust use , manuell or auto land(ILS) ;)
Manuell auto lands. I think I saw that on Cinemax one night.

Chris Hicks

Thx Gents for your replyes ;)

CATII will get you down to 100ft. CATIII will take you lower. That's why that runway has to be certified to CATIII requirements. Different markings, lights, emergency power, etc. You can try to autoland on a CATII runway, but it would'nt be legal.
I should have phrased the question a bit better, as I was wondering about specifically the Boeing 737. You seem to suggest that any autoland on a CATII ILS is not permissible, which is flat out wrong, there certainly are CATII autoland capable runways in the world. The same DH rules apply, even with the plane about to land itself, the pilot in command must see the runway at 100 feet AGSL.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Autoland is for wimps, especially at LOWI laugh.png

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

but you gotta keep the autoland current. have to use it once in a while. I have done it three times. Once on something like the third or fourth flight with the NGX to try it out and see how it works. Then I did two back to back ones, one with the PASS and one with the OP autoland to see the difference and see if I would get any of the issues people were reporting with them. All three times the plane did a heck of a job landing, but I can do better landing it myself :)

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

From the OP is sounds like you are confusing an ILS approach with an Autoland. To put it into perspective, since the beginning of this year I've operated 132 sectors (Which is quite a lot for me compared to normal but I spent a month on short haul there in June, typically at this point in the year I'd have done about 90 sectors but I digress). Of those 132 sectors, I have carried out 2 Autolands, I hope that put some perspective on it for you. Rónán.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

To put it into perspective, since the beginning of this year I've operated 132 sectors (Which is quite a lot for me compared to normal but I spent a month on short haul there in June, typically at this point in the year I'd have done about 90 sectors but I digress). Rónán.
Out of curiosity Rónán, what's a typical roster on long haul for the A330 pilots in Aer Lingus like? Could you maybe give us a run through of it?

I should have phrased the question a bit better, as I was wondering about specifically the Boeing 737. You seem to suggest that any autoland on a CATII ILS is not permissible, which is flat out wrong, there certainly are CATII autoland capable runways in the world. The same DH rules apply, even with the plane about to land itself, the pilot in command must see the runway at 100 feet AGSL.
One thing is the category of the procedure and another completely different concept is the category of the equipment on the ground.This is one of the things that has been so simplified in flight simulator that have made people think that an autoland capable runway is just a really cool one... when actually an ILS system's category will seriously determine the stability of the system, and mainly, the continuity of the localizer's signal down the runway.ILS are categorized by a number and a letter from A to E. The number defines the level of guarantee of functional continuity and the efficiency of the system. But the letter defines the most important aspect. That aspect is, how far down the runway will the localizer's signal be reliable.CATII T systems provide full localizer signal only until the threshold.CATII D systems provide localizer signal 3000ft after the threshold.CATII E systems have localizer signal up to 2000ft before the end of the available landing surface (LDA).ALL CATII ILS systems require visual reference after decision height. In fact, even CATIIID ILS systems are not suitable for CATIII procedures as they require visual after DH and the localizer will only extend to point D (3000ft after threshold).

Omar Josef
737/757/767

One thing is the category of the procedure and another completely different concept is the category of the equipment on the ground.
Very interesting, I learned something new today - thanks! Is that an exhaustive list, or are there more categories?

Out of curiosity Rónán, what's a typical roster on long haul for the A330 pilots in Aer Lingus like? Could you maybe give us a run through of it?
Well to explain it, let's say I start work on a Monday, I'll head out on Monday about 1200Z, I'll leave the states on Tuesday evening about 23-2400Z depending on the route and arrive back into Dub anywhere between 0600Z and say 1100Z on Wednesday morning, I get the rest of Wednesday off, I'll get Thursday off then on Friday I'll do another trip, arriving back on Sunday morning, I'll get the rest of Sunday off, and then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off, and then the cycle will start again on Thursday at 1200Z. Hope that helps,Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Very interesting, I learned something new today - thanks! Is that an exhaustive list, or are there more categories?
I have the book here with me. This book was actually written by my navigation teacher (who's really famous here in Spain for the book). It might be hard to find this information on the internet because in his book you'll find a lot of information that is not included in the ATPL sillabus. I'll google it, if I can't find it, ill just write it. Gimme one minute.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Opearational categories: Well, you all know those, right?ILS SYSTEM DESCRIPTION:Defined by the use of 3 characters:Roman numerals.I, II, III. They indicate the category of actuation of the hardware and provide information on the efficiency of the equipment.Letters from A to E.These letters define the capacity of the system to maintain localizer signal down the runway. Each letter signals a defined point down the ILS signal.Point A: Located on the approach path, 4nm before the threshold.Point B: Located on the approach path, 3500ft before the threshold.Point C: Located as far before the landing threshold threshold as the point at which the glide path is at a height of 30ft.Point D: Located 3000ft after the landing threshold and at a height of 12ft.Point E: Located 2000ft before the end threshold and at a height of 12ft.Point T: Located where the runway center line intersects the threshold and at a published height. One digitfrom 1 to 4. This digit defines the level of continuity of the service and how the signal might be affected by false signals creating false glide slopes and such problems. Examples:ILS CATII T 3 is a ground ILS installation that allows for CATII approach procedures, provides full signal of the localizer up to point T and requires visual reference after the decision height.ILS CATIII D 1 is a ground ILS installation that allows CATI approach procedures, provinding localizer up to point D....ILS CATIII E 4... the big one... Allows CATIIIb procedures, has localizer signal up to point E and does not need visual reference at all. If CATIIIC was approved by JAR-OPS, then this would be the type of ILS ground equipment to be used.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Retired from flying since 2009.Am now involved in professional flight simulation and cockpit building for simulation. I flew with Ryanair for 12 years.Glad to be out of it really.What I do now is much more interesting and exciting.Flight Simulation is a huge industry worldwide now. I truely love the NGX !!!A major leap forward in the flight sim world. Fred.
Ehi Fred, you quit the real flight world for the simulated one, we all hope for a future in the real aviation world... Probably there is somothing wrong... :)

Well to explain it, let's say I start work on a Monday, I'll head out on Monday about 1200Z, I'll leave the states on Tuesday evening about 23-2400Z depending on the route and arrive back into Dub anywhere between 0600Z and say 1100Z on Wednesday morning, I get the rest of Wednesday off, I'll get Thursday off then on Friday I'll do another trip, arriving back on Sunday morning, I'll get the rest of Sunday off, and then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off, and then the cycle will start again on Thursday at 1200Z. Hope that helps,Rónán O Cadhain.
Thanks, your my new Idol, 30 years time and I hope to be in the pointy end of a transatlantic jet. Out of interest though, what do you do on the layovers with all your spare time?