Sign in to follow this  
ga

Fasten belts sign, Auto or ON?

On is ofcourse ON ;), but Auto what is the sekvens for when Belts sign comes ON/OFF.....................

Off above 10,000 with auto or when flaps fully retracted (if not retracted till above 10,000). Turn on with extension of flaps or under 10,000

On all the American Airlines flights I have been on, I have never seen the seat belts get turned off until the captain comes on the PA to tell us we are at cruise. When they go on is more variable. Usually when the descent rate is significant. I remember a time when the captian got on the PA and was very specific, saying we had been descending at about 1000 feet per minute for a while but now were going to pick up the pace, so he turned on the seat belt sign, so I have since used that as a guide. Thus, I never use AUTO.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

On all the American Airlines flights I have been on, I have never seen the seat belts get turned off until the captain comes on the PA to tell us we are at cruise. When they go on is more variable. Usually when the descent rate is significant. I remember a time when the captian got on the PA and was very specific, saying we had been descending at about 1000 feet per minute for a while but now were going to pick up the pace, so he turned on the seat belt sign, so I have since used that as a guide. Thus, I never use AUTO.
I use ON till I'm above 18-20,000 then I switch it to auto and leave it

I use ON till I'm above 18-20,000 then I switch it to auto and leave it
I'm doing exactly the same!!! You copy my style tongue.png

Usually when flying with pax you will use on and off. Turning it on while descending through 10000ft, is a good indicator for the flight attendants to start securing the cabin. As in the cockpit you also want the cabin sterile. You don't want pax up walking around and having to get everyone secured as you configure. Turning it on at 10,000 allows time for the flight attendants and pax to secure the cabin. Imagine flying into Denver in which the approach comes quickly after passing 10000. We would only set auto during prefight when there is only crew onboard or during pattern work.

Usually when flying with pax you will use on and off. Turning it on while descending through 10000ft, is a good indicator for the flight attendants to start securing the cabin. As in the cockpit you also want the cabin sterile. You don't want pax up walking around and having to get everyone secured as you configure. Turning it on at 10,000 allows time for the flight attendants and pax to secure the cabin. Imagine flying into Denver in which the approach comes quickly after passing 10000. We would only set auto during prefight when there is only crew onboard or during pattern work.
Not really on topic, but are you a real world airline pilot? Thanks. I'll take your advice for the AUTO!

It is like speaking about sex of angels... For me Auto or On it is the same because does not affect the simulation at all. But if you have an add-on which rates you flight using some kind of drivers (e.g. use of lights, landing v/s...) it could have a difference. biggrin.png

I will add again that on all my flights on AAL, I have never seen the seatbelt sign used to signal the cabin, that is what the no smoking sign is for. I see it chimed at about 12-15,000 feet, and then chimed again around that same time on descent. Now the NGX does not have a smoking sign, instead it is just a chime. I suggest if you want to follow real life ops, chime that to signal the cabin, and not use the seat belt sign.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Not really on topic, but are you a real world airline pilot? Thanks. I'll take your advice for the AUTO!
Yes, I flew DC-10s and I'm now current and qualified in the G5/550. Thats how we operated it in the DC-10. No smoking stayed on all the time and we cycled the seat belt at 10000. The flight attendants would anounce electronics use after we cycled. I'll admit, i've left it in auto before and the head flight attendant paged and asked us to turn it back on after a passenger attempted to use the lav.

I will add again that on all my flights on AAL, I have never seen the seatbelt sign used to signal the cabin, that is what the no smoking sign is for. I see it chimed at about 12-15,000 feet, and then chimed again around that same time on descent. Now the NGX does not have a smoking sign, instead it is just a chime. I suggest if you want to follow real life ops, chime that to signal the cabin, and not use the seat belt sign.
I dont know about other airlines, but where I work, the sequence goes like this:- Between 15000 and 12000 feet the FSB goes on, to give us, Cabin Crew, plenty of time to secure the cabin.- We lock the lavatories- The Senior Cabin Crew Member does a speech, announcing a final pass of the Cabin Crew with empty drawers to clear the rubbish (known as "final waste"). During this speech, he or she also asks to stow the tables, put the seats upright, fasten the seatbelts and stop using all electronic devices.- After the speech, the Crew goes round for the final waste.- After the final waste, the crew puts on their uniform vests, after which they do their area check. ( We check for seatbelts, setbacks, window blinds, electronics, hand luggage and loose objects near overwing exits,...)- We tell our Senior our part of the area check is done.- We get a "Cabin crew prepare for landing" callout from the flight deck.(The time between this step and the next could be 10 seconds or even 10 minutes, depending on circumstances)- The Senior announces "Cabin Crew be seated for landing". She or he then gives the Cabin Secure to the flight deck.- The lights go out, except our work lights in case we still need them.- At around 1000 feet, the flight crew cycles the Smoking sign, and we dim all lights and assume our brace position.- A few minutes later (at max): touchdown!It helps when there's 4 Cabin Crew Members on board, since you can really work as a team in that case. If you're number 4, you can do you area check while your fellow CCM gets rid of the waste bags. In the cabin, just like up front, teamwork is of the essence to make a flight go smoothly for both the passengers and ourselves.

On some airlines the no smoking switch is not functional and the sign is always on.

Regards

Andrea Daviero