Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

At what point on Final should i disengage the autopilot?

Your choice, some airlines require the pilots to hand fly under 10K, others disengage at 500ft

Jay

Your choice, some airlines require the pilots to hand fly under 10K, others disengage at 500ft
Airlines requiring pilots to hand fly below 10000? The tendency nowadays is to forbid it until final approach and only if stabilized (no unstabilized approach corrections by hand)

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Airlines requiring pilots to hand fly below 10000? The tendency nowadays is to forbid it until final approach and only if stabilized (no unstabilized approach corrections by hand)
Not in the US mate, pilots were losing their 'touch', might be different in Europe

Jay

Not in the US mate, pilots were losing their 'touch', might be different in Europe
Interesting.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

What a load of bull.
Sounds very improbable to me as well, but who knows... some airlines there have WWI leather jackets as uniforms :)Let's wait for someone with US flight experience to clear it up. All i know is that in Spain there's nothing written. You just go manual when you can. In Emirates, as structured as it is, hand flying is a big no-no, except touchdown.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Sounds very improbable to me as well, but who knows... some airlines there have WWI leather jackets as uniforms :)Let's wait for someone with US flight experience to clear it up. All i know is that in Spain there's nothing written. You just go manual when you can. In Emirates, as structured as it is, hand flying is a big no-no, except touchdown.
The only crews with bomber jackets, I believe, are from Virgin. A British company run by a very, very rich man. They also paint girls on the nose of the planes like old WW2 planes too. US airlines have dropped to the bottom of the world barrel in the last 15 years, scraping everything they can for a buck... Giving leather jackets for crews, haha... Too funny!I will say that he was right about it being up to the pilot to decide upon approach, but only at maybe Denver or Mexico City would a 10,000' disconnect make sense.... And to say it's mandatory, or something close to mandatory at 10,000', because pilots 'lost their feel' is way over the top and a gross inaccuracy.

I do not want to hijack the thread, just one quick question. Is there shortcut to silence AP off alarm? Someone suggested to press disconect button twice, but when I press that button second time, AP engage again.

At 2000 feet I turn off the autopilot, have a flight attendant tie one of my hands behind my back and put a patch over my left eye. Which is what any self-respecting pilot would do.

Guest tonyf38

It's certainly not mandatory to disengage autopilot at 10,000', don't know where you heard that, but you can if you choose...

I do not want to hijack the thread, just one quick question. Is there shortcut to silence AP off alarm? Someone suggested to press disconect button twice, but when I press that button second time, AP engage again.
press the A/P red flashing light in front of you just above the PFD/ND after you disconnected A/P.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

That is because you have to map the actual A/P disengage buttons to the letter Z and then map the letter Z to a button on your yoke. You have to do the same for the autothrottle.The keyboard mapping you have to do through the CDU in the NGX config. Then disable flight simulator's original Z letter assignation. For mappint the keyboard letter to your joystick, you can use fsuipc. click click click... first click disengages the system, and the second click turns the aural and visual warning off. Regarding the uniform thing. I remember on a layover we saw a crew who were just reaching the hotel and they were wearing leather jackets. I remember our captain mentioning that it might have been American Airlines, but he wasn't sure. Are there any other apart from Virgin using leather jackets?

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Hey Omar, are you an Emirates pilot? Three cockpit simulators here in Dubai... Personally I hand fly after established on glideslope. As what I observed in watching JustPlanes videos, pilots don't hand-fly until either established on the localizer and glideslope.

Hey Omar, are you an Emirates pilot? Three cockpit simulators here in Dubai... Personally I hand fly after established on glideslope. As what I observed in watching JustPlanes videos, pilots don't hand-fly until either established on the localizer and glideslope.
No, I'm not an Emirates pilot. I was a flight attendant at emirates while I was doing my pilot training. But that was some 5 years ago. Before Emirates, I flew as a flight attendant as well, in Air Europa, based in GCLP. While in Emirates, I really learned a lot as most of the pilots I knew, knew I was training... so they were extra teachy with me. Also, when i was flying in Air Europa, I already had a PPL and was starting my ATPL theoretical. On my days off, i would fly extra crew* in the cockpit on full 2 leg flights... yeah, im a freak, as most of my colleagues would spend their days off at the beach. On these flights they'd let me do some flows on the ground, load up the CDU and sometimes I would do all communications (thanks pmdg, seriously). *flying as extracrew is common in Spain. It means that, if you hold a company ID and a pilot license or a cabin crew certificate, you can politely ask the captain of any flight if they would take you with them. It usually done by airline employees when they are based far from home, so that they can just go home every time they have a couple days of. Instead of flying home, i would just jumpseat during the whole flight to destination and back to the base. I owe a lot to the couple captains who helped me with these things. In Emirates it was not allowed, so i would just take my time off during the flights to sit in the cockpit and read the FCOM. In Emirates they only let me do things 2 or 3 times. It's a very structured company and they are very strict about things like these. I didnt get any flying experience, of course, but coupled with what I had learned during ATPL, i really learned a lot about all these airplanes. By the way, that there is a photo of me in an Emirates' a330 wearing my student pilot uniform... such a poser :)

Omar Josef
737/757/767