Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

How difficult to fly is the J41?

My flight1 atr 72 is not functioning properly, and I was thinking, since I've tried everything to get it to work, and can't that I'd go for another short haul airplane, if I can fly the ATR 72, how difficult to learn is this aircraft? I can also fly the other PMDG fsx aircraft (747,37ngx, md11). Patrick Boynton

It's not difficult, it's only hard to slow down i descend etc, but it's one of the very best addon planes for FSX. You should only remember that it's not as complex as other PMDG products, it lacks panel state save function, it can't fly holds and stuff like this, but everything else about it is masterpiece IMO ;)

Hm, I have never tried this with any addon aircraft so I don't know.

Only thing I found difficult was operating the engines. They are tempermental to say the least.

Will I be able to save flights and return later? Patrick Boynton
You should be able to save and load a flight with the JS41.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

The JS41 is my favourite FSX aircraft. It's easy to fly, but be careful with the engines: it's easy to fry them, and it's frustrating when it happens ... and you don't know why. My advise to avoid frustration? Follow the tutorial carefully, especially the bit about the start locks. Have fun!

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

She is my favorite aircraft too ! Quite easy to handle but very complete, I take her for short trips of max 1 hour, no time to get bored, always something to do ! Full featured FMS, nice autopilot, but also very enjoyable to fly by hands.

My advise to avoid frustration?
A quick correction: of course, "advise" in my previous post should be "advice." I agree with Jwam: the JS41 is very enjoyable to fly by hand. Again, I'd advise [correct spelling, this time! Money Eyes.gif] paying close attention to the tutorial, especially the bit about making sure that you've slowed down adequately before setting up your approach. As Sawydz mentioned earlier in this thread, the JS41 is difficult to slow down, and once you've started your approach, if you haven't done so, you're going to come in much too fast with no way to get your speed down.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Jerstram41 is my second choice aircraft(first is DA20-4X),nice VC and sounds and not hard to learn is this aircraft advantage,unfortunately if have keymaps and failures system would make J41 more perfect.

It's easy to fly, but be careful with the engines: it's easy to fry them, and it's frustrating when it happens ... and you don't know why.
How do you not know why? With this plane, it's generally very clear:-Fried engine on start? You didn't set the prop on the locks.-Fried engine on takeoff? You tried to depart with the locks on.-Fried engine on departure? Overtemp/Overtorque.-Fried engine in cruise? Overtemp. You have to be careful, but to say "you don't know why" is a bit of an overstatement. The plane is predictable, though in some ways, unfortunately predictable. The fortunate side is that, with care, you can avoid that.

Kyle Rodgers

I own the J41 for several months now and just recently purchased the FS2Crew Version, which is at a discount for now. Before I never flew the plane much, because of the engine handling and lack of autothrottle. But now I fly it more than ever. It´s hard at first to always watch the engines and the load sheet is pretty confusing at first. Recommend FS2Crew with it however.

Recommend FS2Crew with it however.
Agreed. It really adds to the experience.

Kyle Rodgers

Will I be able to save flights and return later? Patrick Boynton
Hi Patrick, Yes you can, but it don't save the FMC. So you have to remember where you were flying, load the situation, fill again the FMC and than use the direct to option.Then it picks up the flight where you were leaving it.It is a great airplane. Eric

The two most difficult things with J41 is to slow down on descend (almost terribly difficult) and to start up without burning your engines. I am afraid I had to stop using the plane without any serious flight because after 30 minutes of checklists the engines tended to burn and it was game over and quite frankly I don't have too much spare time to retry over and over. It is terribly beautiful though though there are still some issues.

Emilio, please give these forums a quick search and try and get your torchin engines issue resolved, you are really missing out on an excellent aircraft. If you could detail to us yur particular starting procedures, we could probably help you out.