Hello all, I currently just upgraded my computer a tad bit for better overall performance. I am very happy with what I have achieved but need to upgrade my graphics card. The thing is I am unsure of what I should do. I currently just upgraded my system to:Intel core i7 2600k @ 4.8 GHZH7016 Gigs DDR3 1600 OCZAsus P8z68 Pro motherboard I currently have a 9800GTX+ and was looking into the GTX 580's. I will not buy an radeon card so please dont give any suggestions with that route. There are two 580 types I am intersted in. One being the 1.5 Gig version and one being the 3 gig version. I will not be running multiple monitors so I do understand that 3 gigs wont help me much but I was still wondering if it would help getting the 3 gig version for futureproofing for a tad bit. Any advice towards an nvidia card would be appreciated. I do not want to get a 590 nor dual cards as fsx cant utilize it. Thanks for any information.

If you have the money, 1.5GB 580. You could even look at the likes of eVGA's superclocked ones. The 3GB, as you said, really only benefits using multiple monitors or extremely high resolution photoscenery for example.

Well I have the money for 3 gigs as well. I won't be using dual monitors but do you think for the 100 dollar more pricetag that double the ram is better? Even if I may not use that ram in a year or so games will increase even more. I wasl ooking for a card not just for fsx but for other high end games as well. The reason why I wont do dual is obviousley because of Fsx not being able to use dual solutions. Thanks for the input NGX, really appreciate it.

I can tell you that the standard 580 will run just about every other game maxed out hahaa. But you're right. If you can afford the 3GB, go for that. For all we know Flight could be heavily graphics dependent.

Yes. Definitely get the second one. Make sure you have a big enough case though. That thing is huge!

I have a Raven 2 by silverstone I think it will fit. It only adveritses 10.5 in cards but the 5970 fits in there which is 11.5 just making clearance. so Hopefully it will fit haha.

Have a search around for the dimensions just to be sure. It's tri-slot I know that for sure.

Only the mods can move posts I'm afraid. Over in the hardware forums the idea of getting another mod to move hardware threads to the correct location was discussed. Not sure though. But back to the topic. If your case supports those dimensions then it supports the card. Have a look on the cases website

Guest Turboblower
Only the mods can move posts I'm afraid. Over in the hardware forums the idea of getting another mod to move hardware threads to the correct location was discussed. Not sure though. But back to the topic. If your case supports those dimensions then it supports the card. Have a look on the cases website
Jim has been round long enough to know that only a "Mod" can move a thread. But you can re start the thread in the hardware forum. You are very quick at playing moderator on the NGX forum, maybe now is a good time to put your money where your mouth is.

Jim has been round long enough to know that only a "Mod" can move a thread. But you can re start the thread in the hardware forum. You are very quick at playing moderator on the NGX forum, maybe now is a good time to put your money where your mouth is.
You are not helping at all my friend. You are just a very bad troll. Please get a life. He was just trying to help me and made a comment regarding what Skorna said. You making useless comments is not helping out this post at all. Please leave.

Guest Turboblower

Whatever, but you could at least get her gender correct.