Sign in to follow this  
sarahguiney

Real World Pilots opinion requested.

I've spent a great amount of time looking at pictures and looking at videos and trying to match in the simulator, the viewpoint a pilot (left seat) would see when he was sitting in his seat. I was hoping a real world pilot would be able to maybe post a screenshot of this view. Thanks in advance for the help. PS. I know in the manual that it gives a recommended viewpoint, I was just looking for how a actual pilot sitting in his real world 737 would view the cockpit.

Bluepilot said the zoom should be 0.6

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I go by the HGS. I move my seat position so that the HGS display lines up perfectly in the HGS screen.

Di, what's a HGS, forgive my ignorance.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

So for instance if a pilot is sitting in his/her seat ready for flight, can he/she see the top of the glaresheild or would it be more like top edge of mcp panel and then windscreen. I know these sound like really anal questions, but i guess thats just the way I am. Really sorry if I'm annoying anyone with all the questions. Ironmaiden - HGS - Headsup Guidance System. Also referred to HUD.

In the PMDG-Introdution-PDF (0.00.104) is a screenshot of a perfect fitting captain-view.

I always zoom out to 0.5... with any first-person view in anything, you're never going to get "the view" that you'd get actually sitting there. It's totally different from the way your eyes and head work... you're never going to get "the view"... it's better just to find a position you think is practical and stick with it. Whip out your cellphone camera and look at what IT sees sitting at your computer... YOU see everything just fine, and look around and focus on different things, but note how everything looks bigger and closer even if you have the camera right where your eyes are, like you need to zoom out significantly to get everything you see sitting there in the frame... I had to stand six feet away to get both my monitors on the viewfinder when I barely turn my head more than an inch sitting in front of them.

When you're sitting the real NG cockpit with the seat in position you are really looking directly out the window. You have to glance down to see the instruments. The one thing that's hard to simulate is just how far the glare shield sticks out. You are sitting very close to the panel. When I see people's screen shots that are really zoomed out it's not realistic.

Steve Giblin

Thanks to all for the help. To JD345, thanks for giving me a smack with reality. I guess I was so focused on getting it perfect, I forgot about the common sense part you brought up. I will just make it work for me. Thanks again everyone.

Yeah it's the NGX heads up display. Remember that you're also trying to view the field of vision of a human on just a computer screen. Unless you have a full home cockpit or 9 monitors covering forward, forward up and forward down, you're going to be limited. The perfect view would be imagining what you would see if you took a piece of glass in the dimensions of your monitor, sitting in the captains or F/O's chair and looking through it. You wont see everything.

@ stewcal. I remember visting a westjet 737 cockpit after a flight once, and thats the first thing I noticed, how far back the displays are under the glaresheild. That would be hard to simulate on a computer screen.