Sign in to follow this  
sarahguiney

Real World Pilots opinion requested.

Yeah it's the NGX heads up display. Remember that you're also trying to view the field of vision of a human on just a computer screen. Unless you have a full home cockpit or 9 monitors covering forward, forward up and forward down, you're going to be limited. The perfect view would be imagining what you would see if you took a piece of glass in the dimensions of your monitor, sitting in the captains or F/O's chair and looking through it. You wont see everything.
Alright thanks.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Thanks to all for the help. To JD345, thanks for giving me a smack with reality. I guess I was so focused on getting it perfect, I forgot about the common sense part you brought up. I will just make it work for me. Thanks again everyone.
haha, not a problem :)

I use Track Ir and have gotten to look pretty real...60 zoom, snug to the panel. The one thing that bothers me is the guard above the window handle looks too big in my opinion. Kind of in your face if you are in the realistic position. Not so in the real plane.

@ stewcal. I remember visting a westjet 737 cockpit after a flight once, and thats the first thing I noticed, how far back the displays are under the glaresheild. That would be hard to simulate on a computer screen.
Yup, there is a lot of potential for glare on the instruments. That's why it's so big.

Steve Giblin

FCOM state where the pilot should be positioned and what things should be referenced to obtain the right position.

I use Track Ir and have gotten to look pretty real...60 zoom, snug to the panel. The one thing that bothers me is the guard above the window handle looks too big in my opinion. Kind of in your face if you are in the realistic position. Not so in the real plane.
I think that's another thing just related to the "camera vs. eyes" issue. A 17" square with the top of the glareshield, the window handle, and the DU's below is NEVER going to all be in clear focus with real eyes... your eyes will be focused on whatever point you're looking at. Maybe someday someone will figure out how to simulate binocular vision... won't hold my breath, though... :)
Yup, there is a lot of potential for glare on the instruments. That's why it's so big.
It loses its meaning in FS but... they don't call it a glareshield for nothing!

I think that's another thing just related to the "camera vs. eyes" issue. A 17" square with the top of the glareshield, the window handle, and the DU's below is NEVER going to all be in clear focus with real eyes... your eyes will be focused on whatever point you're looking at. Maybe someday someone will figure out how to simulate binocular vision... won't hold my breath, though... :) It loses its meaning in FS but... they don't call it a glareshield for nothing!
All things considered I think they've done an absolutely incredible job....

Steve Giblin

just make yourself comfywith an appropriate view of required flight systems

Would not a 737-800 pilot in RL want a view of the cockpit where he can reference the horizon like during a SLF / Climb / Descent when in VFR or do they rely on instruments even during contact flying ?

All things considered I think they've done an absolutely incredible job....
I'd say the NGX has hands-down the best VC, period... no qualifiers required...

Would not a 737-800 pilot in RL want a view of the cockpit where he can reference the horizon like during a SLF / Climb / Descent when in VFR or do they rely on instruments even during contact flying ?
All airline flying is done IFR...Visual approaches are common though...

Steve Giblin

All airline flying is done IFR...Visual approaches are common though...
Don't tell me that , what is the reason behind it if do not mind me asking. Do you mean to say even day flights in commercial airlines are IFR ?

In the US, where Class A airspace starts at 18,000 feet ( I.e. FL 180), all flights a ove that altitude must be IFR. I'm not sure about other countries.and flying the NGX at something lower than that altitude, unless a very short flight, , is unrealistic.Most airlines fly Part 121 operations, I'm not sure but think that these may also need to be IFR regardless of altitude.IFR flight offers a lot more safety than just flying in clouds, as you are in a system that provides radar control, and through your own IFR flight plan your planned flight plus ETA atwaypoints isoniazid file. On the C172 thatI fly, I often fly IFR on a severe clear day, just together the added protection from ATC.And yes, many approaches are " visual", as the previous poster indicated. Note that you mist be cleared for anILS approach to do an auto land.Thanks, Bruce.

In the US, where Class A airspace starts at 18,000 feet ( I.e. FL 180), all flights a ove that altitude must be IFR. I'm not sure about other countries.and flying the NGX at something lower than that altitude, unless a very short flight, , is unrealistic. Most airlines fly Part 121 operations, I'm not sure but think that these may also need to be IFR regardless of altitude. IFR flight offers a lot more safety than just flying in clouds, as you are in a system that provides radar control, and through your own IFR flight plan your planned flight plus ETA atwaypoints isoniazid file. On the C172 thatI fly, I often fly IFR on a severe clear day, just together the added protection from ATC. And yes, many approaches are " visual", as the previous poster indicated. Note that you mist be cleared for anILS approach to do an auto land. Thanks, Bruce.
When I did ground training I was told that during a VFR instruments should be checked with reference to your attitude and stuff and never depend on the instruments during contact flying as they are there just for reference you have to look outside , but that was for a PPL training never completed :) . Probably for the heavies it may be different as they are so huge and complicated. and as you said air space also counts. Thnx.

That's the difference between VFR and IFR flight. VFR you look outside and not at the gauges other than to crosscheck information. Now, when IFR in clear weather you do need to keep a look out for traffic since VFR traffic that is not talking to ATC might be there, and you can't always count on ATC to tell you, but flying the airplane is done from the gauges, not by looking outside.Will you ever go back and get your PPL?Thanks, Bruce.