Sign in to follow this  
Kuckoo

Saving Airport Diagram/Approach PDFs to the Kneeboard...

...Is this possible? I've been toying around in modifying the info available in the kneeboard. Unfortunately, Microsoft tripped and fell backwards from a cliff when they made the KB unable to browse the web in FSX. I've been downloading airport diagrams, approaches, and departures - all in PDF format - from the FAA website. Later, I will merge them all into one PDF file, if that will aid in the efficiency of searching within the KB. My question: is there any way to save this info to the KB? Thanks.

Can't seem to get it to work in FSX. Installed the "PDFKneeboard.dll" into the Modules folder and edited the "dll.xml" per the instructions, and FSX registered the installation on the next startup, but no joy once the flight was loaded. No new menu entries were noted in the menu bar and in the "Add Ons", aka "Modules", menu drop down, and none of the shortcut keys worked.

If you are running Adobe Reader v10, note that most "PDF Reader" type addons will not work. I had to roll mine back to v9.x to regain the use of displaying PDF files in the sim... Yawn.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you, Father.Praying.gif

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Can't seem to get it to work in FSX. Installed the "PDFKneeboard.dll" into the Modules folder and edited the "dll.xml" per the instructions, and FSX registered the installation on the next startup, but no joy once the flight was loaded. No new menu entries were noted in the menu bar and in the "Add Ons", aka "Modules", menu drop down, and none of the shortcut keys worked.
You downloaded the FSX version, right? It should work, it works here. Its possible that you need to create a file called pdfkneeboard.ini in the FSX\Modules\ folder containing the following
[pdfkneeboard]Timer=1

If it still doesnt work then you might want to check the permissions of FSX (run as admininstrator). I have turned off UAC so I always run everything as admin. I dont have Adobe Acrobat installed either, I use a different pdf viewer (Foxit Reader).

Yep. PDFKneeboard for FSX, version 1.8. Using FSX Acceleration. I have rights. UAC disabled. The whole kit-and-kaboodle... Tried reinstalling. Followed instructions precisely. Still no luck. No PDFKneeboard selection in the "Add Ons" drop-down in the simulator (same place where FSUIPC and Ulitmate Traffic II traffic options show). Does it matter where I keep the actual PDFs themselves? They're temporarily kept in a folder on the desktop. I hope I'm just missing something terribly obvious, but the installation is very simple; hard to miss anything. Can I bother you to tell me how you installed it and how you actually use in in the simulator? Might help. Thanks.

I just followed the instructions as well. FSX SP2. I start the PDFKneeboard by pressing the 'K' button on my keyboard. I load charts using the menu. The location of your pdfs is not relevant for the loading of the module. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the way you entered the module data into your dll.xml. Or perhaps it was somehow corrupted before installation. You might want to look over it, either manually using a text editor or perhaps with a tool like Flight1's freeware utility FSX DLL.XML Viewer and Repair Utility http://www.flight1.com/files/FSXML.zip

Re-downloaded, reinstalled, and still no luck. I have no idea what the problem is. Think I'll just pass on this one. Appreciate the assistance.

Re-downloaded, reinstalled, and still no luck. I have no idea what the problem is. Think I'll just pass on this one. Appreciate the assistance.
himy guess is that you did not edit the dll file correctly with note pad. You just have to add: <Launch.Addon> <Name>PDFKneeboard</Name> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Path>.\modules\pdfkneeboard.dll</Path> <Commandline/> </Launch.Addon> just before the line </SimBase.Document> What is your OS? make sure you follow the instructions for your OS. You can post the lines you added in the dll file and I will compare with my lines to make sure that it is correct I hope this helps because the program is great.

I'm a bit disappointed because the program does seem like a gem, and I've got tons of approach plates, SIDs, STARs, ADs, etc. downloaded. I'm using Win7 64bit. The example you show is exactly how I edited the dll file. I'm wondering if pdfkneeboard.dll doesn't like 64 bit OSs...

Ok. Took a breath and tried again. Same result. angry.png This is one of the simplest installations I've ever done, and it's got me stumped. I have no idea whatsoever why this is not working. Here's what I have and what I've done. Most of the info below is irrelevant to the problem, but I'm desperate: > Win7 64bit> UAC disabled> FSX Acceleration> FSUIPC 4.7 Registered> ASE runs in the background while FSX is running> UTII, UTX USA and Canada, FSGenesis, EditVoicePack 4> Tons of WOAI, UGA, HTAI, for GA and military traffic> Tons more of Ray Smith and AIG AFCADS> Only been flying RealAir's Beech Duke B60 for the past several weeks now > I've downloaded PDFKneeboard for FSX, version 1.8> Extracted "pdfkneeboard.dll" to the [Modules] folder in the FSX root directory> With Notepad, opened "dll.xml" located at C:\Users\...me...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX> Copied and pasted... <Launch.Addon> <Name>PDFKneeboard</Name> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Path>.\modules\pdfkneeboard.dll</Path> <Commandline/> </Launch.Addon> ...between the very last </Launch.Addon> and </SimBase.Document> at the bottom of the field. > Then I launch FSX> FSX asks if I really want to run pdfkneeboard, I say "Of course"> FSX asks if I want to "trust" pfdkneeboard, I say "Well, yes"> FSX UI loads> I start my saved flight> The flight loads (full-screen mode)> I "right-click" to bring up the menu bar> I click on the <Add ons> drop down menu ...and pdfkneeboard isn't there. Pressing <K> does nothing. I also looked to see if a "pfdkneeboard.ini" was created in the [Modules] folder, and there wasn't. So I created one and entered: [pdfkneeboard]Timer=1 Of course, that's all there is in the .ini. I restatrted FSX again and still no joy. I even restarted the system, just in the remotest case that the system files needed to be updated with the entry of pfdkneeboard - though I seriously doubt that it does - and still the same result.