Sign in to follow this  
Guest WolfgangLiehr

About Mr. Randazzo's Post "Latest Hot-Fix Updated 16AUG11"

Guest WolfgangLiehr
First, during our research into these freezes, we found that some users are creating out-of-memory problems for FSX inadvertently. We have spent a significant amount of time developing some recommendations to help you avoid this pitfall in the FS software design and we will publish those here later in the day, Monday. ... Okay- this is all I have for now- Ryan and I will be back later to give you those guidelines on memory use.
Did I miss those recommendations ?

Well, one significant way to reduce memory requirements is to switch to Lower Rez Textures. So its "chickens & eggs" Which comes first - "Lower Rez Textures" or "Recommendations" -- or maybe Both together.? Geoff

I have a feeling that a lot of these crashes are caused by people with inflated egoes, thinking that their system is capable of running settings it isn't. Ie, NGX VC, max sliders, max traffic, max autogen etc.Oh and tip of the day for saving memory: Turn down autogen from extremely dense to normal. I run mine at normal. Why? Because this aircraft is flown over 30,000 feet, not 500 feet.

I have a feeling that a lot of these crashes are caused by people with inflated egoes, thinking that their system is capable of running settings it isn't. Ie, NGX VC, max sliders, max traffic, max autogen etc. Oh and tip of the day for saving memory: Turn down autogen from extremely dense to normal. I run mine at normal. Why? Because this aircraft is flown over 30,000 feet, not 500 feet.
The NGX made me re-evaluate my settings and I too went with normal autogen. I lowered my UT2 commercial traffic to 46% which I am finding is a nice level to run with. Plenty of traffic to look at and parking spots available and no traffic jams waiting to takeoff. Jim

Jim Wenham

That's it. You've just got to consider what you NEED and what you WANT. Sure we all want max everything, but for this style of flying, normal autogen is more than sufficient. And same with traffic really. I use UT2 on 65% and my Aerosoft EGLL only has 1 or 2 gates empty at each terminal. But the performance increase from 100% was quite large!

I've been running the NGX mostly error free since night 1; OOM's were a problem on the first night only. Since then, I've been flying the wings of this thing. My FSX machine is ancient (check sig), yet I can still wring decent performance out of it (I only care about smoothness). My installation uses UT2 (around 46%, just installed this), GEX and I run ASE with it (with X-Graphics enhanced texture sets). My Autogen is "normal" and my scenery setting's are 10/7 as Nick suggests in his performance post. My sacrifice came through AA settings, going from 4x Combined to a 2x Multi...that made all the difference for me...it still looks gorgeous. I also run the AiviaSoft EFB Dataprovider on the system, using another laptop to provide EFB's display unit (handy to sit on the couch away from the FSX machine yet still keep an eye on the flight with the other laptop). At times, I also run Air Hauler on the FSX machine. To "tune" my system and avoid the OOM's, I ensured that no non-critical services were running (basically non-MS stuff and things not related to FSX add-ons) and enabled the 3GB switch. I let O-O Defrag do a name defrag on the system once a week (can take many hours, btw). My memory usage went from 85-100% on NGX release night to an average around 60% nowadays, if that. I've had zero OOM's since that first night and only one other serious error in the NGX since (I made too many pretzels from approaches in the FMC and it freaked). Sure, I'd love to have museum quality scenery settings and stuff, but the reality of my old system dictates otherwise...and I accept that. Back to flying...on approach to KPAE now. ;)

With my girly man hardware, there is no way I can run this plane with max scenery settingslike I can with the default, or other more simple models.So I throttle everything down. But I also kill a lot of unneeded stuff that is running beforeI even fire up the sim. IE: I go into task manager and kill all my TV/Video stuff that runs inthe background, and anything else that is not needed. Probably 8 or 9 items that getwhacked before I close it up and fire up the sim. Every little bit counts when you are running32 bit XP OS like I am.I guess I'm fairly lucky. I haven't had a single glitch since I downloaded the 2nd hotfix, andstill no glitches after installing the 3rd 8/16 hot fix. As long as I keep things dialed down, Ihaven't had any trouble. Except for the MCP digit snafu, which was a problem on my end,it's been fairly flawless since the 2nd patch.Haven't crashed, froze up, or had a OOM since the 2nd patch.

As far as I know, the US Forest Service doesn't fly any 737NGs. I don't fly on FS to count trees... normal autogen is all I need. Cranking it up all the way doesn't add nearly as much as it takes away. Of course I'm quite jealous of the people that can run whatever settings they want so take my opinion for what it's worth... I run the NGX pretty well with settings I'm happy with given my system. I'll try lo-res textures when they release them and see if the performance is worth the decline in detail. A few people have played with texture resolutions and reported an FPS improvement.

I have a feeling that a lot of these crashes are caused by people with inflated egoes, thinking that their system is capable of running settings it isn't
And I have a feeling that you assume to much. When will you finally understand that software can react completely different on different systems, because of tons of variables? Just because it works flawless for you and many others it doesn't mean that everyone who experiences problems is too stupid to use it and that there isn't an underlying problem that can be fixed by PMDG. Makes me wonder who really has the inflated ego here...

You're going wrong with what she said which is completly right. She was talking about people who are always complaining because their games are freezing or crashing, not to people like you. We are really lucky now, it's like having a real NG simulator at home (without motion). So personaly,my goal is to simulate this beautiful aircraft because i'll have a typerating on it in two years. When you see pictures of real airlines simulators, they dont pay attention to the outside or even the external model of the airplane ( PMDG modeled it perfectly ). Latest hot fix hasn't any problem. I used to have some issues with it but a quick and proper reinstallation of the aircraft solved everything.Also i can tell you that the NGX is much more stable and FPS friendly with this hotfix...