Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

AI textures in FSX

I am sorry if this was discussed before. i was just updating to fsx finally and i wanted to update my AI traffic with new textures and models. since i have read that most if not all of models can be used in fsx from fs9, i can not find any info on textures.what kind of textures are the best to be used with fsx? 32bit, dxt3, with mips, no mips, default that come in texture folder with downloaded AI plane? since i really don't know the difference any help or advice would be greatly appriciated. thank you very much, ivan

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I've ported all of my AI traffic from fs9 without problems (Aardvark, The Fruit Stand, Craig Ritchie, etc.). For many years AI fans ran textures without mips, but it's now apparent it's much better to do so. I have DXT1 with mips, and with my Invidia card they look great. Also DXT1 will give you the smallest file size and I can't tell the difference in quality from DXT3. Cheers

The reduction of DXT3 or 32bit AI Daytime textures to DXT1 Mipped is the single greatest improvement to FPS AND visual quality for AI, at least in FSX. I took on the project of switching all my FS9 AI used in FSX to mipped DXT1 last year and immediately noticed the improvement. Filesize is drastically lower, helping with loading times and fps, and image quality is arguably nicer, because while the textures lose just a smidgen of sharpness, the AI appearance from a distance is nicer because shimmering is eliminated. Mips are a breakthrough for FSX textures that shimmer, not just AI, but also addon airport scenery.

guys thank you for sharing some wisdom. so DTX1 textures are the best to use in FSX, both for appearance and frame rates. now, what program(s) are\were you using for converting the textures? is it hard to do it?thanks

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

guys thank you for sharing some wisdom. so DTX1 textures are the best to use in FSX, both for appearance and frame rates. now, what program(s) are\were you using for converting the textures? is it hard to do it?thanks
********CAUTION******* Ivan, I agree with what A.J. said as I mip all my AI and my addon scenery files that aren't already mipped by the developer. BUT,,,, DXT1 isn't always the best route to go, especially if you are using a batch converter. Here's why, most AI textures by default are already DXT5 or DXT3, mostly DXT3 though since no one in their right mind would make AI textures in 32bit since it would kill you FPS if you had a resonable amount of AI in the area using 32 bit textures. Now, if you take a DXT5 or DXT3 texture and texture light map and batch convert it to DXT1 your going to wreck you light maps and the AI wont look right at night time. Here's a pic of a DXT3 light map of a DC-10 and you will see that it has the night lights for the windows. Now, here'e a pic of the same light map after being converted to DXT1 and you will see the night lighting for the windows is gone. So, if I were you, the first thing I would do is make a back up of everything you want to convert 1st in case you mess something up. Secondly, if I were you I would just keep them all DXT3 or DXT5 and add the mip maps that way you dont take a chance messing up your light maps and have AI at night without the proper night lighting. I've tried some AI as a test in DXT1 format a few years ago to compare it to DXT3 and frankly the performance difference isn't even noticable, at least not on my rig and I have an old rig by todays standards. Just add the mips and see how you get on with that, plus if you batch them it will save you a lot of time if your running an AI package like UT2, MTX or WOAI. I use imagetool with a batch file .bat to do mine.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

i will try with imagetool, adding only mips. thank you so much! is it worth getting an addon like ultimate traffic? or free woai is okay too?

Ivan Majetic