Sign in to follow this  
Jetman67

When to disconnect auto throttle before landing

Hello guys, I found this video: 

You can see the pilot disconnected the AP before the video, and discounted the A/T on about 130ft. "MCP SPD" gone at 1:38, and you can here a "click".   

You can see the pilot disconnected the AP before the video, and discounted the A/T on about 130ft. "MCP SPD" gone at 1:38, and you can here a "click".   

Full names in the forum, please.

I always caution the use of real world flight videos from YouTube as a source of "actual" procedures. Procedures vary greatly from operator to operator.

The answer for when to turn off the AP or AT is simply: when you're ready to assume control of the aircraft (provided it is above the minimum altitudes specified for AP use).

Kyle Rodgers

Exactly, operators vary.  At one time, and it may still be true, SWA pilots did not use A/T on approach.  Hands on throttles does keep you in the loop.

Dan Downs KCRP

At one time, and it may still be true, SWA pilots did not use A/T on approach.

If I remember correctly, they didn't use it at all for quite some time. Same with VNAV.

Kyle Rodgers

There was a big thread about this years ago. If I remember it seems that a lot of airliners like the pilots to turn off AT on approach.

I always turn AT off  on GS capture then AP off once am at flaps 30/40(unless vis is low),My landing have always been better with AT off as VAPP can often be more than +5 and I can judge when to be a retard :P  

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

downscc, on 23 Apr 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

At one time, and it may still be true, SWA pilots did not use A/T on approach.

If I remember correctly, they didn't use it at all for quite some time. Same with VNAV.

I think they still turn it off at the same appx time they turn off the A/P, but being I don't work

there, not 100% positive.. They didn't use A/T or VNAV until around the switch to RNP.

Where the VNAV button was usually had a metal cover over it instead. For a good while

they didn't use auto brakes either, but started using those a few years back a good bit

before the switch to RNP. 

Myself, I prefer the A/T off when landing, and usually turn it off when I turn off the A/P,

which is usually about the time I drop the gear and go to flaps 15, or shortly after.

I also prefer judging for myself when to be a retard..  :lol:

Who is we?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Who is we?

For what it's worth, people in aviation rarely disclose who they work for when they're currently working for them. I got quite a rude awakening when I worked for a contractor providing ground services to United Express ops at IAD. I'd posted an incredibly sarcastic (and, in my own mind, very obviously tongue-in-cheek) apologetic post on a real world aviation forum I frequented. I'd intimated that the handler was apologetic at the terrible level of service due to under-staffing and lack of workable equipment. While both were true, the company came unglued. Wasn't the brightest move on my part, but even less objectionable actions have been met with negative action from employers because their name was mentioned in the post.

Kyle Rodgers

I just disconnect when I am a thousand above and hand fly it in the rest of the way with Auto-Throttle on until the plane is down on the ground and slowed to 30 knots and turning off the runway.   I've watched a ton of real world documentary and it just varies.   I use to just sit back and let autoland have all the fun while I sipped on a a martini but now the 737 no longer intimidates me.   We're best friends.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

OK Joe, Kyle is saying you guys wont say who you work for so OK.

I was under the impression that in the 737 the advice from Boeing (and certainly SOP at a Big Airline here, and a large Irish one as well as far as I know) is 'all out, or all in'. In other words, if you take the A/P out you should also take the A/T out, mainly because you may end up with undesirable oscillations in pitch due to the effect of the underslung engines and the delay between, for example, your manual pitch input and the reaction of the A/T. Likewise, I'd always heard A/T off first, then A/P. Certainly the case for the non-FBW Boeings I'm familiar with: i.e. 737/747/757/767.

The FBW in the 777 (and I presume the 787) compensates for the thrust/pitch couple (and I suspect the A/T software is improved), therefore A/T to touchdown is recommended and regularly used. Same of course in the Airbuses.

Interesting to hear that Joe's operator allows & encourages use of A/T to touchdown whilst hand-flying!

A very informative and sensible thread in this topic. Also valid points on how much watching YT videos is not the gospel truth.

Likewise, I'd always heard A/T off first, then A/P

Yes that works well for me I have to say.

AT off. Set power as needed and let the AP sort trim and pitch with landing flaps set then AP off (time frame around 20 seconds) I then feel a bit of trim Nose down works well as the last thing I want is forward pressure at any point. Back pressure feels far more comfortable/natural.