Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Auto throttle help

Good question Fred I dont think I did hmmmOk Mats I will give it a go right now be right back

Rich Sennett

In the CDU, under PMDG options, Equipment, then 2nd page, A/T Manual Overide is set to what? Thinking he might be knocking it out that way.

Rick its set to"never" is that right also just noticed after take off you cant engage the speed button so as I went along it came on by itself then I could change the speeds must be me thats what I meant when I said does a condition have to be met ? appreciate this help guys.

Rich Sennett

Rick its set to"never" is that right also just noticed after take off you cant engage the speed button so as I went along it came on by itself then I could change the speeds must be me thats what I meant when I said does a condition have to be met ? appreciate this help guys.
FCOM VOL 2 Page 222 !! Any of the following conditions or actions disengages the A/T:•moving the A/T Arm switch to OFF•pushing either A/T Disengage switch•an A/T system fault is detected•two seconds have elapsed since landing touchdownThe autothrottle also disengages if it is engaged in a Speed mode, Retard for descent mode, or an N1 mode other than A/T GA mode AND;[Option - Throttle Split Monitor, Honeywell MCP and Smiths A/T computer, with or without Quiet Climb]•thrust levers become separated more than 10 degrees during a dual channel approach after FLARE armed is annunciated[Option - Throttle Split Monitor, Collins MCP with integrated A/T, without Quiet Climb]•thrust levers become separated more than 10 degreesMay

Ah ok I just did a perfect autoland, the thing I noticed is I do not try to switch on the speed button it just does it all by itself, when it needs to I guess speed button illuminates by itself I can turn the speed down then also just use lvlchg to descend, does this sound right? seems to work.

Rich Sennett

Ah ok I just did a perfect autoland, the thing I noticed is I do not try to switch on the speed button it just does it all by itself, when it needs to I guess speed button illuminates by itself I can turn the speed down then also just use lvlchg to descend, does this sound right? seems to work.
This happen when it captured the glideslope? When it comes out of VNAV, the speed window comes active.

Yes !! Pressing speed will disengage the autothrottles. Once Flare & Rollout are armed the only thing you need to adjust is the speed.It will decend down the glideslope by itself for an autoland. Fred.

Yes Rick but during flight I guess I need to leave the speed button alone, then all works, it comes on all by itself when need be I guess?

Rich Sennett

Yes Rick but during flight I guess I need to leave the speed button alone, then all works, it comes on all by itself when need be I guess?
LNAV will disengage after Localizer capture and VNAV will disengage after glideslope captureleving you with just speed mode.Obviously if you then pressed the speed button the autothrottles would disengage because their would be no thrust mode. Fred.

LNAV will disengage after Localizer capture and VNAV will disengage after glideslope captureleving you with just speed mode.Obviously if you then pressed the speed button the autothrottles would disengage because their would be no thrust mode. Fred.
I just tried this at cruise. I put it into spd mode (by clicking the VNAV). I then click the SPD button, light goes out of course, then try manually moving the throttles, and nothing happens. Throttles stay in one spot, A/T switch stays on, but doesn't seem to be doing anything, and I can't adjust them with manual throttle.

So leaving the speed button alone is the ticket and I am not talking about landing its during the cruise ? thanks Fred for the help Sir. Did you spin the speed knob to adjust it Rick ?

Rich Sennett

Hey Rich, one other thing you can do, if you really want to take control of the MCP speed, is to push the SPD INTV (Speed Intervention) button, it's right over the LVL CHG button. This doesn't disengage A/T.

Rick I did SPD INTV button not sure what its doing lol I thought that was a switch to go back and forth from fmc to mcp ?

Rich Sennett