Sign in to follow this  
MRkid

How does PMDG develpo their aircraft.

do Vin and Jason work full time for PMDG ? and do you know what version of 3dsmax they use? Does PMDG have specific texture guys or do the 3d moddelers do the detailed texture work for the vc vic

do Vin and Jason work full time for PMDG ? and do you know what version of 3dsmax they use? Does PMDG have specific texture guys or do the 3d moddelers do the detailed texture work for the vc vic
They have specific texture guys who do the VC/external textures

Dithanks, how do you know about all that? I know that texturing is a big part of modelling in as much as uvw unwrapping and mapping has to be done by the modeller, or at least it has to be done from within 3dsmax its self. so i am assuming from what you say that either the texture guys have access to max or they just work on the texture multi bitmaps as arranged by the moddelers. If the latter is the case it must be hard as i find you need to keep looking at your progress within max to see how the textures are looking withing the program. i know many modellers do the texture work and modelling them selves so just interested to know how this works. are you connected in some way with the guys at PMDG then? thanks vic

Dithanks, how do you know about all that? I know that texturing is a big part of modelling in as much as uvw unwrapping and mapping has to be done by the modeller, or at least it has to be done from within 3dsmax its self. so i am assuming from what you say that either the texture guys have access to max or they just work on the texture multi bitmaps as arranged by the moddelers. If the latter is the case it must be hard as i find you need to keep looking at your progress within max to see how the textures are looking withing the program. i know many modellers do the texture work and modelling them selves so just interested to know how this works. are you connected in some way with the guys at PMDG then? thanks vic
Haha I get asked that far too much. No I'm not connected to PMDG. I wish but I'm not. I've watched these forums for a longgggg time. I think they have 1 or 2 dedicated texture guys, but some of the modellers also do texturing. Mix and match really

Ryan, can I ask. What is your speciality at PMDG? Coding? Modelling?
sound
No, I do customer support and the forum. I took a good chunk of the photography that was used for the textures and I had a small role with the sounds. Armen Cholakian is responsible for the vast majority of the NGX soundset.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Well Ryan I'm sure you'd agree with us when we say that the sounds are absolutely fantastic.

No, I do customer support and the forum. I took a good chunk of the photography that was used for the textures and I had a small role with the sounds. Armen Cholakian is responsible for the vast majority of the NGX soundset.
Sorry about that. I thought your were pretty involved in the sound because of your music

How many miles of code goes into a project like the NGX?
I'd love to hear an approximate line count too. I'd say over 2 million easily

Noah Bryant

sound
robert said he would tell us a story about how ryan went mad with the sounds during the development :)

The big programs used: Autodesk 3ds Max - VC and external modellingAdobe Photoshop CS5.x, Lightroom 3 - textures/photosMicrosoft Visual Studio - C++ codingAvid Pro Tools, Izotope - sounds
What version of 3DS Max?

robert said he would tell us a story about how ryan went mad with the sounds during the development :)
I'm sure he's referring to the engine pitch matching I did - my other job during the day is professional music transcription - I have a pretty good ear, so I sat with several recordings of the CFM56-7B engine runup that we'd done and I wrote down the precise musical "notes" that the different components of the engine sound make throughout the range. I then calculated the frequencies in Hz so that Armen could precisely match the pitches in the FSX sound engine. It took a few hours to do, but seriously, that's the extent of my involvement in the soundset.
What version of 3DS Max?
Version 8 Vin says.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I'm sure he's referring to the engine pitch matching I did - my other job during the day is professional music transcription - I have a pretty good ear, so I sat with several recordings of the CFM56-7B engine runup that we'd done and I wrote down the precise musical "notes" that the different components of the engine sound make throughout the range. I then calculated the frequencies in Hz so that Armen could precisely match the pitches in the FSX sound engine. It took a few hours to do, but seriously, that's the extent of my involvement in the soundset. Version 8 Vin says.
Ok, I got 3DSMax 2012 and its being a pain since I cant get the exporting to work for the games I make stuff for....

what problem are you haveing with max2012 exactly and what progs/games are you wanting to export too? vic

Can these programs especially the 3D modelling onw work well on you average GPU, average I mean what most of us have, gtx 560, 570, 580.
later versions of max are pretty demanding on resorces, If you have very complex scenes for example. Rendering times are where the biggest hit occurs and for slower machines this this is where you may get problems. If you not rendering then not such a problem. vic

Hello! Can you also tell us which program(s) are you using for the display units? Best regards, Christopher Schilly