Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

CPU Cooler for a GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 and Antex 902v3 Setup

The title says it all...I've got a GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 motherboard and Antex 902v3 case setup. I will be overclocking this rig and would like some opinions on a high end CPU cooler that will fit in it. So please advise and thanks!Mark

Value:CM Hyper 212+ Good Air:Noctua NH-D14 Value Liquid:Corsair H60 with aftermarket fan Good Liquid:H100 although I am not sure it'll fit.

The title says it all...I've got a GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 motherboard and Antex 902v3 case setup. I will be overclocking this rig and would like some opinions on a high end CPU cooler that will fit in it. So please advise and thanks! Mark
I can't swear it will fit in your case ( I know of no reason it will not) but in order of preference http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001 you will need buy fans seperate you will need two 120mm. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018 and a good paste http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154012

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Thanks Gary and Andrew...Man, those coolers are huge!!! My goodness...I've got a Thermaltake ISGC-400 on my other system and I thought that was already large. I suppose that's why I was asking as well. You know, I've never been a fan of liquid cooling in the past because of it's complexity and ongoing maintenance. But I have to say, that H60 looks pretty easy to install and use.I suppose that would be a winner but a question, how long does an enclosed system like that function for? I mean, are they prone to failure or could I get a couple of three years out of the thing? That has always been one of the attractions to mechanical coolers, they last and last...Mark

I have had my H60 for a month and a 1/2 and nothing wrong. They are supposed to last a lifetime and they are not a typical water cooler. you get near WC performance with air cooling practicality. And believe me, they are easy to install if you have a motherboard cutout on the case.

They are supposed to last a lifetime and they are not a typical water cooler. you get near WC performance with air cooling practicality. And believe me, they are easy to install if you have a motherboard cutout on the case.
A water loop will never last a lifetime, sooner or later there will be corrosionCorsair is giving 5 years of warranty for his top of the line H100. 7 years for AX/HX PSU's ... and no, those closed water loops don't even come close to a quality WC kit. neither noise or performance wise I'm not saying they're bad, they're not bad at all, but I'm no fan of the Hydro series since I don't care about looks. A Silver Arrow or NH-D14 is cheaper, quieter and will last a lot more than a H100 for exampleRAM clearance is the only issue with those monster air coolers, but it's just a matter of picking low profile kits.I also don't like the fact that you need to have the rad fans set as intake for maximum performance. With a graphics card like mine for example, last thing you want is more hot air blowing into the case, let alone with two overclocked GPU's in SLI

Fair point. I didn't really mean lifetime but what person doing custom PCs is going to wait 5 years to replace his cooler when there are probably new sockets out an he would need a new one anyway

Hey Dazz...good points...and I also have a tendency to build new systems every two to three years as well...good call Andrew. I usually keep a system around with Windows XP in case one of my clients needs software written for that particular OS (makes development and debugging easier). But for me at least, its a case of a normal downgrade from my main system.In this case, I've got the luxury to make a new box for myself because my wife's system is on it's last leg and she gets my current system (her's is an older core duo). So when I said I hoped that the cooler would last a couple of three years I probably will only keep it for two and some change. Then do the downgrade thing again and build a new box. If I keep the current system then all I'll need on that would be the stock Intel i5 fan and heat sink as it won't be used as an overclocked little Ferrari :)Mark

Noctua ships the mounting brackets for new sockets at no cost if you have the HSF invoice, even if you have to pay for them it's just a few $/€Considering that CPU's tend to run cooler with each new generation and each die shrink, that's another reason to go with air coolers IMO

I know but with a proud window on your case and looking inside, they are soo ugly, erghh. How hard can it be to paint fans black!