Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

Span across two monitors

I will have two identical 24" Samsung monitors and my question is, can the image be spanned across two monitors without losing the aspect ratio. I am planning to have two cards (GTX280 +GTX580) using the GTX 280 for the third monitor. The operating system will be Windows 7 with an Asus P868Z-Deluxe Motherboard and an I7 2600K CPU.I cant use DualHead2go as the connections will be DVI and the maximum refresh rate is 58Hz with this configuration. (Samsung Monitors 60Hz)This configuration was possible with XP but Vista and Windows 7 don't seem to support this.I realize that I am probably flogging a dead horse, but if anyone has any suggestions? Thanks in advance Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

You realize if you SLI a 580 and a 260, the 580's clocks will run at the same as the 260's? Anyways, when you get a 3rd monitor with SLI, if the monitors are identical you get an option in nVidia control panel called surround. Use this.

Di, does the 580 SLI with the 260 ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Someone clearly doesn't know the difference between SLI and having just two graphics cards in a PC without an SLI bridge, NGX please at least do a little research before posting and read the question properly, your advice is wrong in this instance as SLI was never mentioned in the first place.

Cheers, Andy.

You realize if you SLI a 580 and a 260, the 580's clocks will run at the same as the 260's? Anyways, when you get a 3rd monitor with SLI, if the monitors are identical you get an option in nVidia control panel called surround. Use this.
And, sir, if you kindly read what I actually said. IF you SLI. Did I say "you MUST sli?" no I said if you do SLI. Which brings me to the point that nVidia surround uses SLI. So having 2 cards without SLI won't work with it.

Ah now I see how you are posting 80 posts a day, by not answering the question asked and spouting some random comments, OK no problem another person on the ignore list.

Cheers, Andy.

And how exactly have I ignored/failed to answer the OPs question? I've told him that SLI opens the possibility of nvidia surround, exactly what he is looking for.

I think we should address it as extended display and not SLI or CFX as FSX does not support these modes when a user requests SLI n CFX configuration or posts problems. ATI EyefinityNvidia Surround.

No its not what he was after at all, Nvidia Surround only works with three monitors not two, he wants to span his VC across 2 screens not 3 and without SLI.

Cheers, Andy.

Dicko, I am not aware if you can use the 260 side by side with the 580, I would suggest something called as Widefs you might want to have a look at. I have tried FSX on two monitors and that was an ATI 3450 AGP card , I used FSX with FSMAP , I had to lower the res to match both resolutions but that again was a single core old system You may need to match all your display resolutions and the frequencies.

Hi Di, Wasn't thinking of SLI, GTX580 to run two monitors and the GTX 280 to run my 22' monitor for 2D panels FSCommander etc. For SLI I would have to purchase another GTX 580 and for $650.00 bucks a pop.................Money Eyes.gif Andrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Andrew, Yeah I didn't think you would. Unfortunately, unless you have DH2Go, there is no other way other than windowed FSX, stretched across both monitors which will ruin the aspect ratio. 3 identical monitors + SLI allows for nVidia surround, but there's nothing for 2 monitors without SLI other than DH2Go

Dicko, I am not aware if you can use the 260 side by side with the 580, I would suggest something called as Widefs you might want to have a look at. I have tried FSX on two monitors and that was an ATI 3450 AGP card , I used FSX with FSMAP , I had to lower the res to match both resolutions but that again was a single core old system You may need to match all your display resolutions and the frequencies.
Hi Ironmaiden, At the moment I have a GTX 280 with 2 monitors connected, a 24 and 22 inch monitor. These have different resolutions but work well together despite the difference. Andrew
No its not what he was after at all, Nvidia Surround only works with three monitors not two, he wants to span his VC across 2 screens not 3 and without SLI.
Spot on! Simple in theory a little more difficult to implement with W7 for some reason. Andrew

Andrew Dixon

Hi Ironmaiden, At the moment I have a GTX 280 with 2 monitors connected, a 24 and 22 inch monitor. These have different resolutions but work well together despite the difference. Andrew Spot on! Simple in theory a little more difficult to implement with W7 for some reason. Andrew
Andrew, what is the onboard card that you have ?

Andrew, Yeah I didn't think you would. Unfortunately, unless you have DH2Go, there is no other way other than windowed FSX, stretched across both monitors which will ruin the aspect ratio. 3 identical monitors + SLI allows for nVidia surround, but there's nothing for 2 monitors without SLI other than DH2Go
Dualhead2go Digital Edition only supports 58Hz an the the resolution I require. My monitors don't support display ports unfortunately. Andrew
Andrew, what is the onboard card that you have ?
Will be a GTX580 3G EVGA

Andrew Dixon