Sign in to follow this  
wardp

ASE haze better than AS6.5?

HiI am currently using AS 6.5 in FSX but I am not happy the the haze depiction. I have tried changing the settings but I seem to be flying with unlimited views or in a fog. I mainly fly airliners so I am generally at around FL350 but I have either a perfect view of the ground (except for the scattered clouds)or the haze layer completely completely obccures it. Does ASE give a better and more realistic haze level?Perhaps I should say that I download the current weather and when I fly in my local area where there is a haze in the distance which reduces visibilty from around 20 miles onwards AS 6.5 still shows me flying in a fog. Would upgrading to ASE be worthwhile? ThanksPhil

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

HiI am currently using AS 6.5 in FSX but I am not happy the the haze depiction. I have tried changing the settings but I seem to be flying with unlimited views or in a fog. I mainly fly airliners so I am generally at around FL350 but I have either a perfect view of the ground (except for the scattered clouds)or the haze layer completely completely obccures it. Does ASE give a better and more realistic haze level?Perhaps I should say that I download the current weather and when I fly in my local area where there is a haze in the distance which reduces visibilty from around 20 miles onwards AS 6.5 still shows me flying in a fog. Would upgrading to ASE be worthwhile? ThanksPhil
Hi Phil, I would stick to 6.5 until all the bugs get worked out of ASE. The cloud popping issues are still there even with using Jims settings. The weather is not very accurate . I live in a subdivision with a ga airport for our residents and 10 miles from a regional airport and 20 miles from an Intl Airport. Everytime I fire up FS the weather in ASE will show something different than what is going on in my area. Wind shifts are all over the place. I've had the software from the release date and regret wasting the money. 6.5 was much better than ASE.

Hi Phil, I can point you to the Gold Star Award that AVSIM granted to ASE and the detailed review that goes along with that award. If you mean that FSX haze layer that follows you wherever you fly, then yes, there is an option in ASE to disable that milky layer. We now also have an option to extend any visibility layer beyond the 10K limit in FSX. That is also something that is not present in ASv6.5. So those are a few of the many improvements we have made since ASv6.5!

Jeff/Jim Thanks for your replies. I must re-read yhe review and keep in mind he comments from you both. ThanksPhil

Suggest reading the forums here to see if ASE is for you. Users still seem to have the same bugs since released. I have had it since the release. I upgraded from as6.5. The forums speak for themselves in regards to problems with winds, accurate weather depiction, cloud popping, and causing directional problems with certain autopilots. ASE has a nice interface but falls behind in accurate weather depiction. There was a post here in the forum regarding Hurricane Irene and ASE not depicting correctly. The reply was that the weather stations shut down. I checked it and the stations were reporting. I have Jims settings in ASE and have the weather change from sunny skies to rain overcast and fog just by taxying from one side of the airport to the other. Hopefully ASE will be fixed someday. AS 6.5 seemed to be better than ASE. I ended up using REX for weather. I might go back to ASE if the bugs ever get worked out.

After much reading I have made the purchase of ASE and so far after a few flights I am very pleased with it. I set it up with the suggested settings from Jim, and one or two of my modifications, and so far find the weather in FSX much better than with AS 6.5. As yet I have not come across any of the issues others have found, but there's still time!Thanks for you helpPhil