Sign in to follow this  
THRUSTER57

NGX AND ORBX

chris, (y)our fellow simmer TexXxan91 had these issues and even the REX cloud texture reduction to 1024 did not help. but he actually sent me a PM that his frame rate limiter seemed to have caused crashes. no idea which one he is using but if you use one too and have not eliminated that cause yet then it may be worth a try...
Believe me I have tried ALL viable options, reduced cloud textures, monitoring gpu demand as some think its related to load if scenery etc too demanding, I've tried with and without a fps limiter, tried it with fsx internal limiter, there isn't a single thing I have tried, different OS's, different hardware, different settings and config, different drivers....the scenery is fooked, it somehow causes issues FSX was never designed to work with. FSX would appear not to be as open sourced to allow addons as intended. Chris Ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Guys,don't have any of ORBX sceneries but reading many of you have problems with them and PMDG 737NGX. Have you ever tried to perform a flight with other heavy aircraft addons, such as PMDG MD-11 or 747X?

I have all of the above addons and NGX. I used to get ntdll.dll crashes all the time no matter what I enabled and disabled. It was a bad overclock. My memory O/C settings were borked. I looked at forums, spoke to ASUS, fiddled and fiddled (I'm an IT engineer which helps) and finally achieved a fast, cool and, most importantly, stable overclock. My ntdll errors went away. I *never* have them anymore. Now all I get is g3d.dll errors. g3d.dll seems to be the main renderer in FSX. From what I can gather, most of the ORBX ones come from corruption in bgl files causing GPF's in memory allocation.. ORBX are very coy about this subject, as has been pointed out above. I think the installer of one or more of their SP's perhaps? Not overwriting a critical bgl file when installing? Having two conflicting bgl files seems to be an answer. That means a complete rebuild. Although i do this at least twice a year anyway and it sucks. However, I can stop these errors, most of the time, by reducing my FSX autogen slider when flying out of, or over heavy sceneries, then kicking it back up again when I'm outback. Also, Don't change view constantly. If you want a true "real" experience then stop looking outside of your plane and then looking at the wheel well while the wheels retract, and looking at all of the cool little internal and external touches that this awesome plane has. Stick to your pilot's eyes and overhead panels. That's all you got in RL and it will stop your video card having to switch large chunks of video ram about. It works. I've tested long flights (which at some point will also always trigger a g3d error) with and without view-switching and I can get about a 5:1 ratio in favour of not switching views. Don't blame PMDG ORBX and REX for that, that's MS's sloppy programming at work. REX definitely causes g3d.dll crashes too. Don't use 4096 clouds, as pointed out above, and be careful with the runway textures on some of their preset themes. They are very heavy. FSX crashes when you ask it to do too much because it doesn't talk to your hardware very well. If they'd carried on making it and subsequently patching the code properly, it might be better..perhaps Flight will work..perhaps not Whistle.gif

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Guys,don't have any of ORBX sceneries but reading many of you have problems with them and PMDG 737NGX. Have you ever tried to perform a flight with other heavy aircraft addons, such as PMDG MD-11 or 747X?
With me anyhow the error occured within these regions using ORBX enabled scenery with heavy payware aircraft or basic GA payware aircraft. It doesn't appear to be triggered by system overload as I would even get it 'out in the sticks' as we call it in Ireland i.e. out in the middle of nowhere. It doesnt always occur within a demanding airport. Also tried with zero Ai traffic Chris Ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

This is really making me nervous about NGX. Take a look at my post #7 and i mean "Not One Issue".

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

This is really making me nervous about NGX. Take a look at my post #7 and i mean "Not One Issue".
Rick In my experience if you dont get the G3D.dll error in ORBX scenery then you probably wont as I got it in the simplist of aircraft in the outback so there wasnt much load on the system. I get very good performance with FSX and get 30fps with the NGX even using Ultimate Traffic so the crashes aren't really related to the aircraft you fly. Chris Ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Rick In my experience if you dont get the G3D.dll error in ORBX scenery then you probably wont as I got it in the simplist of aircraft in the outback so there wasnt much load on the system. I get very good performance with FSX and get 30fps with the NGX even using Ultimate Traffic so the crashes aren't really related to the aircraft you fly. Chris Ibbotson
Thanks Chris. Please excuse my paranoia biggrin.png

Rick Hobbs

ORBX recommends turning traffic down to 16% and scenery detail to normal. Thats what I do, I was having the blue ring of death when running on high settings especially taking off out of Brisbane or approaching Melbourne. Amazing how I can run FSDT KDFW or KLAS with Megascenery and have great FPS's and no freezes( Fatal Errors). And that is with UT2 at 50% or more and dense or very dense set. When flying the GA airports in AustraliaSP4 or PNW along with Carenado type AC I can crank things up with the sliders to the right. Seattle though still requires UT2 at 16% and scenery turned down to normal.

:P Timothy Murphy

I just feel it would be much more enjoyable (to me) if you just find the "happy medium" so that you don,t have to keep reconfiguring this, that and the other before flying each time. Just my thoughts.

Rick Hobbs

I have all of the above addons and NGX. I used to get ntdll.dll crashes all the time no matter what I enabled and disabled. It was a bad overclock. My memory O/C settings were borked. I looked at forums, spoke to ASUS, fiddled and fiddled (I'm an IT engineer which helps) and finally achieved a fast, cool and, most importantly, stable overclock. My ntdll errors went away. I *never* have them anymore. Now all I get is g3d.dll errors. g3d.dll seems to be the main renderer in FSX. From what I can gather, most of the ORBX ones come from corruption in bgl files causing GPF's in memory allocation.. ORBX are very coy about this subject, as has been pointed out above. I think the installer of one or more of their SP's perhaps? Not overwriting a critical bgl file when installing? Having two conflicting bgl files seems to be an answer. That means a complete rebuild. Although i do this at least twice a year anyway and it sucks. However, I can stop these errors, most of the time, by reducing my FSX autogen slider when flying out of, or over heavy sceneries, then kicking it back up again when I'm outback. Also, Don't change view constantly. If you want a true "real" experience then stop looking outside of your plane and then looking at the wheel well while the wheels retract, and looking at all of the cool little internal and external touches that this awesome plane has. Stick to your pilot's eyes and overhead panels. That's all you got in RL and it will stop your video card having to switch large chunks of video ram about. It works. I've tested long flights (which at some point will also always trigger a g3d error) with and without view-switching and I can get about a 5:1 ratio in favour of not switching views. Don't blame PMDG ORBX and REX for that, that's MS's sloppy programming at work. REX definitely causes g3d.dll crashes too. Don't use 4096 clouds, as pointed out above, and be careful with the runway textures on some of their preset themes. They are very heavy. FSX crashes when you ask it to do too much because it doesn't talk to your hardware very well. If they'd carried on making it and subsequently patching the code properly, it might be better..perhaps Flight will work..perhaps not Whistle.gif
Excellent report, nothing to add, but I eliminated my g3d.dll errors over OrbX Sceneries (especially over/at YBBN) by deleting the freeware OzX Libs from the FSX library. Regards

Seattle is just a disaster even with the default scenery. In the attempts to make it detailed, Microsoft made a giant mess. I have just sort of given up flying large aircraft anywhere near seattle and just stick to the A2A Accusim cub to tool around the PNW airports. -stefan

Ive just done a fresh format and reinstall and only installed - NGX, ORBX (AUsp4, YSTW, YMLT, YBBN) and REX and flown a lot of times and not had a single CTD or anything, so im thinking something else is causing the issue.