Sign in to follow this  
james_uk

LSGS IGS RWY 25 Approach in the NGX

Hi, I've got a question about IGS approaches, and the correct way to input these (either into the radio or the FMC). I'm flying the 737-NGX into LSGS (Sion, Switzerland). I've chosen IGS RWY 25 as the approach as it looked challenging/interesting, however i'm having difficulty programming the IGS approach into the FMC. I fly the following route: LSZH -> LSGS SID WILG5 FRIW105 SANETD MOTMOT086/25 The last entry into the FMC is part of the approach chart - i.e. 25 DME from MOT VOR on radial 086. I then initiate a left turn to 247deg to intercept the IGS (108.35, 246deg, ISI). There's no way of inputting ISI IGS on the DEP/ARR page of the FMC (it simply isn't listed). I've tried: - inputting on the RTE page- manually entering into the NAV radios and applying a CRS on the A/P panel- entering on DEP/ARR (isn't listed) however none of these work. I cannot seem to get a distance reading to ISI - it's as if I never get into range or something else is wrong. The left display in the VC (attitude / FD display??) shows "ISI" however the distance reading never kicks in, no matter how close I get to LSGS. I've also tried VOR/LOC mode, APP mode etc but none of them kick in and start to fly the IGS. Any ideas of what i'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance James

Do you have addon scenery for LSGS? The IGS may not be there in the default.

There is no way to program an approach into FMS, approaches come with the nav database and it has nothing to do with the scenery. Approach is either available in the FMS or it is not. Even if you managed somehow to program it in - the FMS would not know that this is an approach and you would not get proper sensing, in other words it would not work, this is specially true for precision approaches.

Why someone have to program FMC to fly that approach? You know, radio navigation is beautiful, just need a bit of practice...

There is no way to program an approach into FMS, approaches come with the nav database and it has nothing to do with the scenery. Approach is either available in the FMS or it is not. Even if you managed somehow to program it in the FMS would not know that this is an approach and you would not get proper sensing.
Technically correct, but not causing the problem the OP is seeing. If the IGS is in the scenery, he should still be able to intercept it in APP mode.

Hi thanks for the responses. I've tried the scenery fix suggested, however this didn't make any difference to the IGS approach. The FMC can find the ISI IGS if you enter it on the RTE page - in effect I can fly direct to it but I can't get it to be interpreted as an IGS - i.e. with the glideslope on APP mode. The best I can do is fly direct to it. I've attached a couple of screenshots showing my setup. The images show the approach with ISI as a waypoint on the RTE page. The nav radios were manually tuned to the appropriate frequency but I couldn't get the VOR/LOC or APP buttons to work. It's notable that the DME reading on the left display shows ----. thanks againJames

You should turn lights at pedestal panel... :( Please, read this, maybe you can try suggested procedure at PAGE 2 of document I supplied, because there are some FSX limitations as I see: http://www.vacc.ch/file/60 But, as I see on your screenshots you cannot catch that signal 13nm from station, that is very strange... I'll try to reproduce that, but I landed there many times and didnt see similar problem.

I've had a look at the the PDF and it does mention limitations in FSX that could cause problems with this approach. I did a test in the built-in 737 - i've attached some screenshots. Interestingly I could program the radio to 108.35 and actually get the autopilot to fly the approach. The autopilot correctly intercepted the localiser and eventually the glideslope when in APP mode. The only thing that was odd was that the DME reading was still not showing a figure (which is quite important on this approach given you fly visual at 5.5 DME!! So i'm certainly getting different results in the built-in 737 (I can fly the approach via the nav radio) but cannot in the ngx.