Sign in to follow this  
Buzz313th

Service Maintenance Model + Accelerated Wear

Does the Service Maintenance Model in the NGX simulate accelerated wear caused by abusing systems? Or, does it just take statistical data based from "System Use Time Before Service Intervals" to generate a potential failure rate? JB

interested too ...

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the Service Maintenance Model in the NGX simulate accelerated wear caused by abusing systems? Or, does it just take statistical data based from "System Use Time Before Service Intervals" to generate a potential failure rate? JB
This is all the intro manual says about it !! Service Based Failures: When using service based failures,you will experience a highly realistic statistical model formechanical failures that uses the airplane’s age and operatingexperience in order to predict equipment failures in a fashionsimilar to the real world operating experience of 737NG typeairplane operators. This model was created using real worlddata defining the Mean Time Before Failure for nearly everyoperational part of the airplane. This being the case, equipmentwill wear out, and mechanical failures will happen, requiring youto use the Quick Reference Handbook to manage mechanicalfailures, and the Aircraft Maintenance menus in the FMS toservice the airplane as you use it. So I guess that's it !!

This is all the intro manual says about it !! Service Based Failures: When using service based failures,you will experience a highly realistic statistical model formechanical failures that uses the airplane’s age and operatingexperience in order to predict equipment failures in a fashionsimilar to the real world operating experience of 737NG typeairplane operators. This model was created using real worlddata defining the Mean Time Before Failure for nearly everyoperational part of the airplane. This being the case, equipmentwill wear out, and mechanical failures will happen, requiring youto use the Quick Reference Handbook to manage mechanicalfailures, and the Aircraft Maintenance menus in the FMS toservice the airplane as you use it. So I guess that's it !!
So does, "that uses the airplane’s age and operatingexperience in order to predict equipment failures", mean that regardless of how many service intervals, we will see a higher rate of failures as the airframe accumulates hours over it's lifetime? And does, "Operating Experience", mean that, if the airplane is operated out of it's normal limitations that we will see acumulated wear? I have been horsing around with Short field takeoffs and have exceeded Engine EGT limits numerous times and have yet to see any engine related wear or failures. I have not installed any hotfixes and the test plane has over 100 hours on it without any maintenance being done. Not to mention, most of the short field landings have been at max brake effort with carbon brake temps exceeding limits. Still no brake failures. Yes I have service based failures checked. Just curious if the service based failure generator is smarter than just a linear failure curve. Thanks for any answers JB

I'd like to think that the "operating experience" portion of that means it will throw the occasional problem out there if you abuse the airplane. Take the "Nose Wheel Balance" item, for example, I seem to get this one if I'm too rough making a turn on the ground (making a sharp turn with too much speed). I have a particular airframe that's starting to accumulate a lot of time, so I'm looking forward to whatever crops up. It already has some quirks with the air conditioning system that only recently just started showing up.