Sign in to follow this  
Airbus

Palm Springs KPSP no ATIS

I have Shez Ansari's excellent Palm Springs airport. Unfortuately there is no ATIS for this airport. I contacted Shez and he said the scenery was not developed in AFCAD. Did anyone ever figure out a way to get it to work properly? Thanks!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

I was able to fix it with the following procedure using ADE9X and BGLComp. 1) Open KPSPMAIN.bgl in ADE9X 2) In ADE9, open the COMMS list. The only one listed will be ATIS. Delete it. 3) Verify you have the "save XML when compiling" box checked in ADE9 options 4) Compile the airport 5) Delete the resulting .bgl 6) Open the resulting .xml with Notepad 7) Search for "delete", without the quotation marks. This will take you to the deleteAirport statements. 8) Change deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE" and deleteAllApproaches="TRUE" to deleteAllFrequencies="FALSE" and deleteAllApproaches="FALSE". Make sure you use caps as I have done. 9) Close the file, saving changes. 10) Copy the .xml and paste it in the folder containing bglcomp. There is a copy in the FS9 folder in your ADE9X install. 11) Drag the .xml file and drop it on bglcomp.exe. If all goes well you should get a new .bgl. 12) Place your new .bgl in the KPSP scenery folder. IMPORTANT: don't forget to disable KPSPmain.bgl by moving it out of the scenery folder or renaming it something like KPSPmain.shez 13) test, rinse and repeat regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

If you provide a link I can look at the scenery. If you want to add ATIS it can be done probably with ADE9. AFCAD is not really safe to use for changes. I am attaching four images from FS9 default frequencies and then from current IFR plates. I suggest arrival and departure that 126.7 be used or the current values. ATIS is FS9 default 118.250. Let us see how ATIS if there is coded into Shez's scenery. Maybe I can add it.

I downloaded KPSP 2004, the only one I could find. I attempted to look at it with ADE the KPSPmain.bgl with ADE. It was incomplete showing no ILSs but it only also had ATIS in the comms. I attempted to look at PSPmain.bgl with some tools but that file failed to decompile to XML. At another time I'll install it into the FS9 scenery. I have another tool I can use to get the afd properties from all of the layers.

Success: I examined KPSPmain.bgl again. The ATIS had no name so I corrected that. In the utility I use it did not detect any approach navaids and surprise, that is correct! All approaches are RNAV so there are no localizers. There is a VOR - GPSB approach you can use or RNAV. The IFR plates are here: http://flightaware.c...PSP/ALL/all/pdf in one (free) bundle. The rest of the ATC comms were there as in the default so they were not excluded. Now be sure that this scenery is at higher priority (lower number at the list top) than any other afd types such as installed by some traffic applications. If you would like to use the modified bgl PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send that one file to you to replace the existing one in that scenery folder (after renaming KPSPmain.bgl to KPSP main.bgh to keep it as a backup. I tested it with the default ATC menu and it is now listed so it appears to be OK. Apologies to N60JBravo as I missed his reply but made a slightly different correction as noted. I also used ADE9.

There's no ATIS at KPSP because it's been so damned hot there the transmitting equipment melted.

Someone should also ask Shez if he's ever done an update for KPSP. Maybe if he has he'd be willing to release it...which would be pretty cool too. Remember, he was kind enough to remake KLGB for us...thanks Shez!Mark

Someone should also ask Shez if he's ever done an update for KPSP. Maybe if he has he'd be willing to release it...which would be pretty cool too. Remember, he was kind enough to remake KLGB for us...thanks Shez! Mark
Glad to see some success on the ATIS issue. What updates are there for PSP which should be included? Except for the commuter ramp I do not see much requiring a major update? Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Ah...Hey Shez! Good to hear from you. I thought that if you had one, (if), that you might post it. If not, then it's just nice to touch base with you. You know, say hi once in awhile :)Mark

Ah...Hey Shez! Good to hear from you. I thought that if you had one, (if), that you might post it. If not, then it's just nice to touch base with you. You know, say hi once in awhile :) Mark
Hi Mark! smile.png I am always reading the forums so anyone have any issue just post or better yet email me. Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi, Shez: I used ADE 9 to add the ATIS ICAO name to KPSPmain.bgl. He via PM now states that PSP is being treated like a non-towered airport with only FSS and ATIS present. He also observed that old buildings were not excluded. I would think that PSP2MAIN_Exclude.bgl and PSP2MAIN.bgl would perform any exclusion. I did not notice the default/new main terminal superimposed in spot view. I used BGL2XML to look at KPSP2main.bgl to look at the ATIS properties. The other .bgls would not decompile stating not correct correct file type. (I'm doing this for diagnostics only.) I see you used SDE but since it makes simconnect mandatory I can't read in those files since I don't have FSX installed. I sent him the order of the .bgl files since that can have an effect on the layer order when in the same folder. As for losing the tower frequency and others I should state the Pete Dowson's makerwys utility used by RC to create an airport scenery afd property database did pull off all of your assigned and default comm frequencies correctly. I'll look at the ADE XML to see if added a generic delete all comms instruction. If so I'll just reenter them in ADE. I have the default and current data. Bottom line is in his installation why aren't the old buildings excluded and mine seems OK. I'll check again. Did you add the moving traffic headlights in night view on the highways? Nice touch. Thank you.

Hi, Shez: I used ADE 9 to add the ATIS ICAO name to KPSPmain.bgl. He via PM now states that PSP is being treated like a non-towered airport with only FSS and ATIS present. He also observed that old buildings were not excluded. I would think that PSP2MAIN_Exclude.bgl and PSP2MAIN.bgl would perform any exclusion. I did not notice the default/new main terminal superimposed in spot view. I used BGL2XML to look at KPSP2main.bgl to look at the ATIS properties. The other .bgls would not decompile stating not correct correct file type. (I'm doing this for diagnostics only.) I see you used SDE but since it makes simconnect mandatory I can't read in those files since I don't have FSX installed. I sent him the order of the .bgl files since that can have an effect on the layer order when in the same folder. As for losing the tower frequency and others I should state the Pete Dowson's makerwys utility used by RC to create an airport scenery afd property database did pull off all of your assigned and default comm frequencies correctly. I'll look at the ADE XML to see if added a generic delete all comms instruction. If so I'll just reenter them in ADE. I have the default and current data. Bottom line is in his installation why aren't the old buildings excluded and mine seems OK. I'll check again. Did you add the moving traffic headlights in night view on the highways? Nice touch. Thank you.
I used SGX for this scenery and I think it was an earlier build so it probably caused issues with the frequencies etc. ADE is a much more updated program so it should be able to resolve the issues. Shez

Shez Ansari

ADE 1.50 stripped out all of your excludes and changed delete all frequencies to true. I also did not see any generic buildings you had placed in the file. Maybe there are preferences to set. There were no technical errors on its decompile. I am installing the FS9 SDK bgl compiler plus MSXML4. I already have MSMXL6. Since you are passing through the default.com frequencies by setting that to false there is no need to redefine the ATIS with the ICAO code name. If I get the bgl compiler to work then it is an easy matter to correct the original. As I stated the excludes in that file appear now to be the issue as well as importing the generic buildings you added and that is where ADE is failing. So in your code all I have to do is add the ATIS name or scrub the whole frequency and let it pass through. This whole business is just an exercise for me. Occasionally in support of RC I have found scenery errors where it caused problems in the RC database. One such case was the incorrect ICAO in the afd file as an example. FYI, the freeware non-FSUIPC dependent utility makerwys.exe which works with FSX and FS9 creates several data files and also a log of its actions It is very handy as a diagnostic for afd properties: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/ Thanks for your reply.

I finally got a usable version and have sent it on to Airbus. All of the excludes and added buildings are there. I just left the changed code in for the ATIS assigning the ICAO and frequency. The default frequencies are now all there and the airport is treated as towered, that is Ground came up in the intial menu and when selected all of the options were there. I don't see any default buildings merged with the new ones. Shez; I used ScruffyDuck's BGL2XML decompiler with the GUI front end on your original KPSPmain.bgl, made that one change in the ATIS line adding the ICAO (just in case you wanted to keep it in there), and then passed it to the bgl compiler from the FS9 SDK using the front end GUI for that from ScruffyDuck. It took me a while to get the bgl compiler with all of the components working. The only code it did not like was DeleteAllApronLights as part of the airport family delete. It was a schema error. i checked the xsd schema file and it was in there so ???? Anyway I got a successful compile in spite of the error. The file was there.

Hey Ron, can I have a copy of it as well?Mark