Sign in to follow this  
namida

How to perform LAND 2 autoland?

I know it is easier to do LAND 3 but for learning, how can I actually see a "LAND 2" in my PFD?I understand both operational and passive concepts.. Tried autoland with Fail Passive mode, but it shows "CMD" instead of "LAND 2".When I made a failure of ILS of change NAV frequency, there's simple "NO AUTOLAND" rather than "NO LAND 3". I wanna know how it works.. both way. (basically fail passive from beginning and downgraded from fail operational). Thanks in advance!

I know it is easier to do LAND 3 but for learning, how can I actually see a "LAND 2" in my PFD?I understand both operational and passive concepts.. Tried autoland with Fail Passive mode, but it shows "CMD" instead of "LAND 2".When I made a failure of ILS of change NAV frequency, there's simple "NO AUTOLAND" rather than "NO LAND 3". I wanna know how it works.. both way. (basically fail passive from beginning and downgraded from fail operational). Thanks in advance!
FCOM Vol 2 page 217. The following annunciations provide the flight crew with autoland system mode and status:•LAND 3 – two autopilots, three inertial sources, and the associated sensors are operating normally for an automatic landing and rollout.•LAND 2 – a failure has occurred above Alert Height and redundancy is reduced; but the autoland system is still capable of making an automatic landing and rollout.•NO AUTOLAND – the system is unable to make an automatic landing. With a LAND 3 (fail-operational) indication, the autoland system level of redundancy is such that a single fault cannot prevent the autopilot system from making an automatic landing.With a LAND 2 (fail passive) indication, the level of redundancy is such that a single fault cannot cause a significant deviation from the flight path.The NO AUTOLAND status is annunciated if a system failure has occurred. FLARE and ROLLOUT will not arm when NO AUTOLAND is annunciated.

Sorry Steiner, it's an irrelevant answer to a question.Well, we both know that theory but how to perform it in NGX to SEE a word "LAND 2" in PFD? Does anyone know which failure is appropriate to make LAND 3 to LAND 2?And which options should be set to autoland with LAND 2 at destination? Any screenshots? Is this function not implemented or psudo-implemented like IAN?

Land 2 IS a Fail Opeartional autoland but with a failure in some system so the level of redundancy is reduced.There is no change to procedures as it is still an autoland with Flare and Rollout. I am not sure which failure or failures are needed to show Land 2 as the autpilot status.I will play with it for a while and let you know if I discovered anything. It's an interesting question. Fred.

All right, thank you for kind answers for most my questions :)As mentioned in FCOM,

With a LAND 2 (fail passive) indication, the level of redundancy is such that a single fault cannot cause a significant deviation from the flight path.
If I set Fail Passive in CDU Page, It should be LAND 2, not just CMD in PFD.I can't find there is CMD represents Fail Passive Dual Autoland. IT SHOULD BE LAND 3 if FCOM is correct and NGX has this function. Am I wrong?Wish someone answer for this.. p.s. I'm just curious of many functions of NGX with pure intention. happy.png

As for CMD (single channel) vs LAND2/3 this happens below 1500 AGL after the systems have self checked themselves if the right options are selected and all other criteria met. Like having both NAV radios tuned to the ILS freq, being established on the G/S, and then selecting CMD B witch would have both flight computers in control vs the one. Then your still in Single Channel as systems cross check. Later in approach you will see LAND3 or LAND2 depending on the status of the auto-land systems check. As for you setting Fail Passive in CDU I think your not allowing any of this to happen, Fail Operational need to be the option selected AND IF a faults is detected then you have a Fail Passive system that still has the LAND2 with less redundancy. So in summery a LAND2 to is a Fail Operational mode but that's because a Fail Passive systems was at fault in the auto-land systems self check. I'm not 100% on this just to note. Personally my LAND3 is the "Runway bot" AKA HUGS/HUD and a cheaper option for airlines to buy. FPS games like call of Duty have "Aim Bot" now FSX has it's runway bot!

Edited by VLJ510

So in summery a LAND2 to is a Fail Operational mode but that's because a Fail Passive systems was at fault in the auto-land systems self check. I'm not 100% on this just to note. Personally my LAND3 is the "Runway bot" AKA HUGS/HUD and a cheaper option for airlines to buy. FPS games like call of Duty have "Aim Bot" now FSX has it's runway bot!
Absolutely agree laugh.pngAs you can't sure how it works with NGX I just wanna know how these things actually works, too.Maybe one day one of users using failure based on service option encounters LAND 2 situation.Hope anyone of them or PMDG team clears this question. :)

If I set Fail Passive in CDU Page, It should be LAND 2, not just CMD in PFD.
That is not true !!!! If you use Fail Passive Single Channel always changes to CMD at 1500 ft.Never Land 2 or Land 3. Fred.

Land 2 !! The hint is : Which standby instrument is necessary for a Fail Operational autoland ?By setting it to fail before landing is what caused the Land 2 status.

******* christ! I had turned standby instrument to analog to block 3 autopilot but didn't think make it to failed status. Thank you Harris for clarifying LAND 2 needs Fail Operational and "being" downgraded, not Fail Passive from start.And Steiner, with all my respect, thank you for your great effort!! I drove my car to home how to test this but it has already been solved. YAY!