Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

Questions about Flight Sim X!

These will range from general to specific so please bear with me. I'm running an iMac (OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard) but I plan to install Windows and either Flight Sim X or FS9 via Bootcamp. While I realize this will be a Mac issue, not an Avsim-FS issue... I want to ask of you what version of Windows runs which version of FS the best? I'm thinking FSX appears to be the way to go, with Vista perhaps... But some of the add-on's I would like and already have are for FS9 so with that in mind what are some of my options? Is FSX much slower than FS9? I would like some input from those who are far more knowledgable with what version of FS likes which version of Windows best? Any advice is most welcomed! smile.png

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Guest simmer9304
I want to ask of you what version of Windows runs which version of FS the best?
Either Windows 7 64 bit or Windows Vista 64 bit, both are optimal for FS9 and FSX. There is an argument to be made for Windows XP 64bit for FS9 just for general compatibility but it would probably be a bit difficult to find a decent copy of Windows XP 64bit
Is FSX much slower than FS9?
Nah the planes fly just as fast tongue.png Anyways, FSX uses much more in terms of system resources than FS9. An older computer (especially single or dual core) that ran FS9 maxed out would not get similar performance in FSX. FSX is optimal with a quad-core overclocked to 4ghz or higher, 4GB of RAM or more, and a decently powerful GPU. For more advice on how FSX's performance and what is required check out the Hardware Forums

Thanks, I'm starting to shop now for a full copy of Windows. With regards to Windows 7 or Vista, I thought 7 was Vista, what's the difference?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

JacobaI would go with Windows 7 as it really did improve on Vista in many ways. (I usually comment that Windows 7 is Vista SP3 but its much more than that!)The best version would be at least Home Premium 64-bit (there is Professional & Ultimate) but I'm not sure how the MAC OS integrates with a 64-bit Windows OS or whether it can only work with a 32-bit OS?? LOL.gifWith FSX make sure you get FSX Gold, or FSX +SP1 +SP2 or FSX + Acceleration. FSX SP2 (included in Gold and Acceleration) improved performance of FSX, and certain planes, etc will only work with SP2.RegardsPeterH

Indeed, go with Windows 7. Not sure you can buy Vista even if you wanted to. With regards to 32bit vs 64bit Windows7 and bootcamp please see here.

Konrad

So Windows 7 and FSX Gold would be the recommendations? Regarding Windows 7, is this the one I'm looking for? http://www.amazon.co...m=A1SCDH4VF8F7R

Yes. Get at least the Windows 7 Home Edition. Do not get the basic version.The Windows 7 package gives you two versions to install: a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version. If you have a system with at least 4gb of RAM, install the 64bit version, not the 32 bit version. If you have a system with 2 to 3gb of RAM and you have no plans to add more RAM later, install the 32 bit version - though, frankly, you'll have a diffucult time running FSX smoothly on such a minimal system...

Hi Jacoba, I am running FSX on a Macbook Pro running a 2.2 GHz i7 (going up to 3.2 GHz with Intel Intel Turbo Boost), 750GB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024MB. I first created a 150 GB bootcamp partition from the Mac OSXI then installed Win7 64bits on that partition (I don't remember exactly, but I think that the Win7 installer automatically formats your HD in NTFS format)Then, back to Mac OSX, I created a new 300 GB FAT32 partitionThen, over to Windows, I converted this FAT32 partition in a NTFS one.Finally I installed FSX + addons on this partition. I also purchased Paragon NTFS for Mac OS that allows me to write on a NTFS disk from Mac OSX Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a copy of Windows 7, MS FSX and some DDR2 RAM for my iMac from Crucial... gonna double my existing RAM before I install W7.

Windows 7 64bit

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

By the way, you can absolutely inmstall FS9 and FSX. I have done that for a long time on my Macbook Pro, and now on my iMac. If there are addons that you really want to fly that are not available for FSX, that'd be the way to go. As for me, I did reinstall FS9 during my last FSX/FS9 cleanup, but I now only use it for testing purposes, not for actual flight. All flying has now moved to FSX.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I think most of the add-on's I want are FSX compatible except for the old Aeroworx King Air...