Sign in to follow this  
Biku

Recording New Video

I am recording at 1280x720. The monitor at the moment is 1280x1024. How do I change the resolution in Fraps?

Looks pretty good here, nice and smooth and thanks for NOT adding music :)
The engines sound so much nicer

FSRecorder has an option to render the video directly from the replay. You dont need FRAPS or any of that.

Now I have it with little lag. I am saving to a USB 3.0 HDD and not a USB 2.0. Quality is still low. In fact I uploaded the video in case you want to have a look.http://www.youtube.c...12?feature=mhee
Bad idea. I don't care if it's USB 4400, it's not a good idea to record to USB drives, too much going on. I recommend clearing some things off another drive and put that stuff on your USB drive and then use an internal to record to. Far less going on.Nice video though. Anything with Fly Tampa's St.Barts is win win in my book!
I am recording at 1280x720. The monitor at the moment is 1280x1024. How do I change the resolution in Fraps?
You don't change that. Even in older versions where you could it was a mistake to try. Chances are there are one of 2 things happening. Either you have FSX set for 1280x720 or whatever you're using to render the video (if anything that is, like Premiere or Sony Vegas) is defaulting to that.
The engines sound so much nicer
I agree, but keep this in mind; that's why so many people don't record audio. Recording both video and audio in real time is quite a challenge when you're using so much CPU power already just to run FSX. See tips below.
FSRecorder has an option to render the video directly from the replay. You dont need FRAPS or any of that.
Have you actually tried that in FS Recorder? You might want to and then go back to Fraps like the rest of us haha. A couple tips that may help. I am pretty knowledgeable in things like After Effects, Flash etc, but never did recording in FSX until recently so have learned a lot from the powers to be (the experts). 1- Get familiar with FS Recorder. That's a must and will let you do more advanced and creative ideas later and is easier on the CPU for playback normally from what I've seen then recording in real time.2- If you really want to record audio and with the best result you can get you'll need software. Not sure what you use but I know you can do this in most editors (not freeware crap either). First do #1, then record with it. Record again with it using audio. The one with audio will be craptastic and the one without audio, better. Strip the audio from the 2nd and fit it to #1 in your editor. You then get the best of bother worlds. 3- This one you cannot use #2 and the ability to record and playback with audio has gone "bye bye Egon", BUT it will show you one of the many tricks those FSX video peops do when showing you video that looks to have better FPS then you'll ever have ;)Again, you'll want to record in FS Recorder, but not 100% necessary. Set your FSX play speed to 1/2. FSX will slow down. Record as normal at your desired frame rate (say, 29.97). In your video editor (again, I can only speak for Premiere & Vegas) right click the video and set the playback speed higher. You would think that double the speed would play half speed video at 100% but let's just say Microsoft may say 1/2 speed but it's not. If you set it to 200% then your aircraft is going to look like it's flying on crack. I found from 150% to 180% was perfect but that depends on so much that you'll simply need to preview it and decide for yourself. I never used Microsoft's video player so that may have similar options however I doubt it. If you have nothing then it's at least worth trying. Good luck bro!

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Oh and one other thing that I feel I might mention. I've done custom builds for years and it always bothers me when I read people on this (or any) forum say they're building a rig "JUST" for FSX. That in itself is a joke, to build a comp based on a 10 year old app. I then see people saying nonsense like "Over 4gb of ram is a waste on a new comp". These peoples statements can ONLY be in answer to someone saying the last quote in being just for fsx, again, a joke and very wrong a statement to make and should be shot for giving such terrible advice. Don't build a comp for FSX and expect it to be great at video editing. Build a computer for video editing and maybe then you can expect it to be able to handle FSX great, but not the other way around. To stop the trolls that think they know more, let me explain this. Typically, I would have a customer say all they want to do with their comp is "Browse the internet and email". After several very unhappy people I started to ask the man of the couple "Ok sir, don't lie, do you now or ever plan on gaming?". I then see later in forums people simming and asking comp advice for computers and for the most part are always given good advice but keep in mind this; A computer for gaming is not necessarily for simming and is normally MUCH more powerful. So to say "Just for FSX" is the real dumb thing people say since that's like saying they want their car "JUST for Nascar". Anywho, video editing is something people often later wish they considered when getting a comp moreso then FS anything. Your Ram and hard drive(s) lack. Not for FSX but this is why I hate people saying "You don't need more then 4gb", so wrong to say since they are technically correct since FSX will only use 2gb, but guess what other things also use memory and people giving advice are like me 20 years ago before asking the guy if he plays games haha. Buying memory is ALWAYS cheapest when doing the build since normally what you settle on will go in the trash come the time you upgrade later. Having more does not at all hurt FSX but will help a lot later when someone wants to do other things, especially video. My next rig will have a minimum of 32gb, over kill? Not at all, maybe for FSX but... The hard drives and having a 1T in my opinion is a good storage drive and nothing more. I would have it for my F:\ drive or as my external. Two fast internals. One for OS, one for not. Serious video editors and simmers will have 3 or more drives. Two is all you need but storage other than them two is a great thing too. I look forward to SSD getting better especially pri$e wise. Even my WD 10k Velocies have a hard time at my res and video and audio. I couldn't imagine doing what I do (my res) with 4gb of ram. I think my computer would shut down and ask "Are you serious?"

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Bad idea. I don't care if it's USB 4400, it's not a good idea to record to USB drives, too much going on. I recommend clearing some things off another drive and put that stuff on your USB drive and then use an internal to record to. Far less going on.Nice video though. Anything with Fly Tampa's St.Barts is win win in my book!
I only have the one HDD in my system but its an ex-internal so I could just put it in the system and maybe try. I think I will stick to the USB interface though.

I only have the one HDD in my system but its an ex-internal so I could just put it in the system and maybe try. I think I will stick to the USB interface though.
You lost me Andrew. You have one hard drive in your computer and it's an ex-internal? I have external USB drives and love them, but I guess for storage purposes and light games years old. Video editing though? Well if you like the USB interface then more power to you. For those that want to do it correctly though and since I like to put actual useful information out there for others, I think I'll stick with all the facts I mentioned ;)

Dan Prunier

You lost me Andrew. You have one hard drive in your computer and it's an ex-internal? I have external USB drives and love them, but I guess for storage purposes and light games years old. Video editing though? Well if you like the USB interface then more power to you. For those that want to do it correctly though and since I like to put actual useful information out there for others, I think I'll stick with all the facts I mentioned ;)
It used to be in my old system. Only one system survived the power surge and the one that survived (my external) is only 80GB.

Turbine gave you some great tips, so let me reinforce one of them. As long as you are using a USB you will never get a good quality video, the transfer rate just isnt fast enough. For serious video work you need to use a dedicated internal HD, and keep it drefagged both before and after capturing.

Jay