Sign in to follow this  
petepawn

Ground textures etc.

Hello, first of all I have REX, ASE, GEX Europe, X-Class Eur and USA, and UTX Europe installed besides global mesh from FSGenesis. I fly mostly above Europe and have noticed that despite my add-ons some areas of our continent look bad - for instance Norway ( Northern) and Mediterranean and Balkan countries are mostly unrealistic brown "desert". Yesterday I tried two routes in North America ( only X-class landclass installed) and both of them offered nice views with green and real-like textures. And in the mountaineous ares CYVR-KMSO the mountains looked more real than the European Alps. One more thing was the night-lightning. With def textures it looked very beautiful in USA approaching KMSO when my add-on packed Europe sometimes is very dark... Weird. Should I return to FSX defaults? Petteri PulkkinenEFNU

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

FSX default will be worse. The problem is not the textures, but the landclass: landclass is what determines what textures should be used. You could decide to buy a landclass addon such as SceneryTech's landclass products. However, perfect it will sadly never be.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Yeah, the landclass is what tells FSX which texture goes were. If the landclass for Norway is telling FSX to use brown desert textures, and you install an enhanced texture set, you will still get brown desert, only you'll get a much better, more realistic looking brown desert - in Norway. You may want to look around to see if there's a better landclass product (free or payware) for the areas you fly.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest jahman
FSX default will be worse. The problem is not the textures, but the landclass: landclass is what determines what textures should be used. You could decide to buy a landclass addon such as SceneryTech's landclass products. However, perfect it will sadly never be.
The OP did say he has UTX Europe! Cheers, - jahman.

So? UTX does not include full landclass! It includes some city landclass, but that's it. Scenerytech includes much, much more.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

But I have besides UTX Europe X-Class Europe landclass too.. Petteri

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

Guest jahman
So? UTX does not include full landclass! It includes some city landclass, but that's it. Scenerytech includes much, much more.
"So" that's what you should have posted then. The way you posted it seemed the OP didn't have a clue as to landclass, when he does. Cheers, - jahman.

But I have besides UTX Europe X-Class Europe landclass too.. Petteri
In that case, there's nothing more to do... The only thing that could then work is photoscenery, which sadly doesn't exist for all of Norway... And I indeed now see you mentioned X-Class in the addons you use. Sorry, must have skipped over it -.- jahman: Considering that he didn't seem to think of the link textures-landclass, I assumed he didn't know what landclass really is, you are right about that. The fact that you have a certain addon really doesn't mean you know what that addon does. From his post it didn't seem like he understood landclass. If he has UTX or not doesn't make a difference toward him understanding everything the product really does (UTX adds roads, loandclass and such, sure, but the point is that you understand the way UTX does that). Instead of telling him about stuff that he doesn't have, I thought It'd be more useful to comment on what might not be optimal in his setup's representation of Norway, and then suggest a product that would complement the addons he already has, thus enhacing the visual representation of Norway. As such I posted what I posted and I don't really see a reason for posting anything differently. If you are concerned, however, that I should have said that UTX only includes very select pieces of landclass, you could have told him that yourself, right? No need to tell me what I should have or should not have posted...

Benjamin van Soldt

Guest jahman
...If you are concerned, however, that I should have said that UTX only includes very select pieces of landclass, you could have told him that yourself, right? No need to tell me what I should have or should not have posted...
Look, I just pointed out you miseed the OP saying he had purchased landclass, and when I did you replied with a rather odd "So?", rather than "sorry, missed that one", *so* I explained what needed to be explained. Cheers, - jahman.

You alerted me to the fact that he purchased UTX. UTX is, at heart, a road and water placement addon and the few landclass it has is more to be seen as a bonus then a big part of the product, moreover because it doesn't provide full landclass coverage, but only cities. My reaction was because I didn't see the relevance of UTX to his problem. However, I did miss that he said that he bought X-Class Europe, which is a full-featured landclass addon for Europe and as such supposedly Norway too. If your intention was to alert me to the fact he had updated landclass for Norway, you probably should have said he owned X-Class Europe. Perhaps you misquoted the product and mentioned UTX instead of X-Class? In that case I'm sorry, I indeed missed that one.

Benjamin van Soldt