Sign in to follow this  
Michael Steininger

Framerate loss due to latest nVidia drivers

Updating my drivers sometimes resets my inspector profile resulting in an apparent decrease in performance until I've reset it. Could that be the issue?

Chris Hicks

This will be a local problem with your machine. No issues here on a 580 at all. That being said, I only install the driver and physx software; leaving the 3d stero stuff and driver helper services out. Very unlikely, but the issue may be related to those install options.

That being said, I only install the driver and physx software; leaving the 3d stero stuff and driver helper services out. Very unlikely, but the issue may be related to those install options.
No it isn't.Tested first beta release from the Release 280 family of drivers (280.19) some weeks ago and I got a framedrop about 50% after some minutes in cockpit view.If I switched from fullscreen to windowed mode, frames went back but just for some minutes and framedrop started again.Therefore I didn't test 280 WHQL.With 270.61 WHQL no problems at all. It's an FSX only machine, so no need for Physx software, driver helper and 3d stereo for me, I only installed the driver himself. Tested installation by removing the old driver via Nvidia uninstall menü and also via Win 7 uninstall menü and Driver Sweeper afterwards, like I did it before every time with new divers with no difference.

Updating my drivers sometimes resets my inspector profile resulting in an apparent decrease in performance until I've reset it. Could that be the issue?
That happened to me... I reset to the recommended values and no problem...

Hello,I think it is very important to write this here! I'm using a Nvidia GTX580 in combination with an Intel Core i7 980X.With the latest nVidia drivers 280.26 (released 09.Aug.) and 275.33 (rel. 01.06.) I have a graveframerate loss especially playing Microsoft Flightsimulator X. The Frameratesare exactly halved and FSX in some situations isn't playable.The last good driver for FSX was the Version 270.61 released 28.04.2011I recommend to download the archieved driver 270.61 on the nVidia homepage.A Simmer who is living next to me made the same experience with a core i7 and a GTX260. http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us Regards Ps. I am angry about that I didn't post this issue earlier here. Sorry
Thanks for sharing! I was think update my driver tonight......

No it isn't.Tested first beta release from the Release 280 family of drivers (280.19) some weeks ago and I got a framedrop about 50% after some minutes in cockpit view.If I switched from fullscreen to windowed mode, frames went back but just for some minutes and framedrop started again.Therefore I didn't test 280 WHQL.With 270.61 WHQL no problems at all. It's an FSX only machine, so no need for Physx software, driver helper and 3d stereo for me, I only installed the driver himself. Tested installation by removing the old driver via Nvidia uninstall menü and also via Win 7 uninstall menü and Driver Sweeper afterwards, like I did it before every time with new divers with no difference.
The problem IS specific to your machine, methods of updating, or something else that you are/aren't doing after installation. If there was an issue with the driver itself, it would effect everyone with a 580 in the same way. There's a huge amount of variables though, and it's up to you to figure out what the problem is. I'm just pointing out that although easy to pass blame straight to the driver, it is not it's fault directly. By your own admission, you haven't even tested the release version of the driver! Probably best to do that before passing judgement.