Sign in to follow this  
drewsaw2

SP2 is killing my sim

I own FSX Gold Edition and have had to reinstall after I goofed my previous intall after 11 months; I'm to blame. After careful reinstallation of FSX,before reinstalling Acceleration disc. I was adviced to run FSX once to create certain files amongst other a .cfg file. I made alittle flight during this short session. I couldn't believe it how smooth it was,Never have I experienced FSX performing like this.As soon as I installed th acceleration disc and run it again Humph I was back down to 15 FPS as it was what FSX detected my system could deliver. I know I'm below minimum specs.Waiting for the money tree to give more fruit...Worried.gif

Ripples to me sounds like vsync. Is it disabled or enabled?
I've set it to force off

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Ok if it's forced off (FWIW I run it OFF as well), you'll get the ripples (the usual term is tearing). However, if I run it enabled it gets rid of tearing but I get less fps (which is normal). So, what I do is disable vsync and run an external limiter. Just google external limiter fsx or search the avsim threads for a link. I used the v.02 fps limiter. You need to have java installed if you want to use the program, otherwise you can create a command line for the .bat file.Also if you do it this way run FSX with unlimited fps in the game.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok if it's forced off (FWIW I run it OFF as well), you'll get the ripples (the usual term is tearing). However, if I run it enabled it gets rid of tearing but I get less fps (which is normal). So, what I do is disable vsync and run an external limiter. Just google external limiter fsx or search the avsim threads for a link. I used the v.02 fps limiter. You need to have java installed if you want to use the program, otherwise you can create a command line for the .bat file. Also if you do it this way run FSX with unlimited fps in the game.
im Not Worthy.gifim Not Worthy.gifim Not Worthy.gif Ryan, I could kiss you haha. I just went in and selected force on and it fixed it. Actually without a drop in frames in the default flight (mind you, AA and things are all off still so it looks pretty bad). Still some slight stutters but the tearing is gone. Now its on to fixing the shimmmers cheers

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Actually one more thing, my Nvidia Inspector options do not look like everyone else's

You didn't click that 'funnel' thing at the top (10th icon from the Home symbol)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

You didn't click that 'funnel' thing at the top (10th icon from the Home symbol)
It doesn't seem to be highlighted. Can't click

Something's wrong with the installation, then, Drew. I have the same version as you, and - once MS Flight Simulator X is selected - like yours - it can be clicked without issue. Does the button not change to a more prominent button with a surrounding black-line square as you hover the mouse over it?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Something's wrong with the installation, then, Drew. I have the same version as you, and - once MS Flight Simulator X is selected - like yours - it can be clicked without issue. Does the button not change to a more prominent button with a surrounding black-line square as you hover the mouse over it?
No it doesn't change. I had it running properly before I reinstalled the OS and drivers, but after downloading it again this time I noticed it right away. Its just blanked out. That and the show bit editor icon. I even tried an earlier version this morning - 1.9.4(?) - and was having the same issue. Strange

Hmmm... maybe uninstall it and run a registry cleaner, reboot and reinstall... see what happens.Ownership? .... UAC perhaps?

Thanks Paul, I figured it out. I deleted it, ran ccleaner and cleaned the registry. Then I downloaded it again and selected run as administrator and all is good now. Cheers

Excellent! CCleaner is a great little tool, isn't it!

Excellent! CCleaner is a great little tool, isn't it!
It would be the only thing I'd want with me stranded on a deserted island, put it that way.