Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

TuneUp Utilities™ 2011

Hey guys, I recently purchased Genie Timeline Home edition, and so far I really like it. For those that don't know it, it's a backup program with a similar operating method like Apple's time machine (being the main reason i bought it). It seems very user friendly and I'm so far quite happy. However, I know got an email from Genie about something called Tuneup Utilities 2011: a progrma that supposedly helps keeping your computer in good working order. I tend to be wary of such programs, because I rarely know what it actually is they are doing. I was wondering if anybody had ever used and if it's worth my money?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Hey guys, I recently purchased Genie Timeline Home edition, and so far I really like it. For those that don't know it, it's a backup program with a similar operating method like Apple's time machine (being the main reason i bought it). It seems very user friendly and I'm so far quite happy. However, I know got an email from Genie about something called Tuneup Utilities 2011: a progrma that supposedly helps keeping your computer in good working order. I tend to be wary of such programs, because I rarely know what it actually is they are doing. I was wondering if anybody had ever used and if it's worth my money?
I would say the central idea of this program is registry and temp file clean up. Apparently it also offers a few "memory tools" but you are rightfully wary. I would skip on this program and use CCleaner instead for the temp file/internet cleanup, registry cleaner, and uninstall tool. It's light weight and free. Just my .02 Personally I don't like tools like this, as I like to do the maintenance myself so I know what's running under the hood. These programs are mostly snake oil remedies, especially for advanced users.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I've been using Tune up Utilities since 2008 and it's a great program. I have never had an issue with it. It "can" do things automatically but thats just an option. It can do everything CC cleaner can do, plus it will defrag your drive if you want amoung many other things. It is spyware/adware free.I have it on both my desktop and laptop. Laptop I let Tuneup run on auto, desktop (FS pc) I do things manually. I'd suggest going to the website and reading about it. http://www.tune-up.c...CFUXf4Aod6zT57g Just another opinion :)

I've been using Tune up Utilities since 2008 and it's a great program. I have never had an issue with it. It "can" do things automatically but thats just an option. It can do everything CC cleaner can do, plus it will defrag your drive if you want amoung many other things. It is spyware/adware free.I have it on both my desktop and laptop. Laptop I let Tuneup run on auto, desktop (FS pc) I do things manually. I'd suggest going to the website and reading about it. http://www.tune-up.c...CFUXf4Aod6zT57g Just another opinion :)
Out of curiosity, was it worth 50 bucks? I tend to think that having a defrag option isn't exactly a selling point over CCleaner, as even Microsoft provided one with every Windows OS. But if it works for you, why not use it?!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Just out of curiousity, how do you like their timeline backup software. I've been using every new release of Acronis Home for years, and have had more than my share of catastrophic crashes. I have NEVER been able to restore to a blank hard drive, despite Acronis' guarantees of being able to do so -I have always had to install Windows first. Not trying to bash anybody's product here, but after the recent failure of my (non-FS) HP laptop and inability to restore using Acronis, I would REALLY like to find a good image restore package. If anyone has any (other) suggestions please let me know. I'd really appreciate it!

Well I have never had a catastrophic crash yet, so that part of Genie Timeline I don't know yet. However, I do know that it lets you make a disaster recovery disc which you should insert into your machine. I guess that it can boot from there and launch part of Genie Timeline that can then copy over the backup of your machine over to your machine. Thanks for the posts guys, I think I'll just stay away from Tuneup Utilities for now.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I would say the central idea of this program is registry and temp file clean up. Apparently it also offers a few "memory tools" but you are rightfully wary. I would skip on this program and use CCleaner instead for the temp file/internet cleanup, registry cleaner, and uninstall tool. It's light weight and free. Just my .02 Personally I don't like tools like this, as I like to do the maintenance myself so I know what's running under the hood. These programs are mostly snake oil remedies, especially for advanced users.
I totally agree with you Zach.Staying away from all those "maintenance" tool is a very wise advise.I solely use CC Cleaner for cleaning up the disk but NEVER use the Registry cleaning function.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I've used Ccleaner without problems for a year or two now. I have also used the Eusing free registry cleaner for longer; it does a more extensive job than Ccleaner, and I have never had any issues with that either. Eusing makes a registry backup before making deletions. As always, use these things at your own risk ;)

Tune up also makes back ups of before it does anything. including cleaning and defragging the registry. Don't use the defrag option on fsx pc, got O and O defrag for that. Only the laptop. Didn't pay 50, only 30. Get on their mailing list. Always get a sale :) Plus they have great support there. Main reason I pay for something like this. I have tried CCcleaner. Found it does not do as good a job cleaning the system as Tune up. Free demo on their site for anyone interested.

Tune up also makes back ups of before it does anything. including cleaning and defragging the registry. Don't use the defrag option on fsx pc, got O and O defrag for that. Only the laptop. Didn't pay 50, only 30. Get on their mailing list. Always get a sale :) Plus they have great support there. Main reason I pay for something like this. I have tried CCcleaner. Found it does not do as good a job cleaning the system as Tune up. Free demo on their site for anyone interested.
Glad you got a bargain! To each, his own.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'll probably just leave TuneUp for now. I'll use CCleaner and the standard Windows defray. That's cheaper...

Benjamin van Soldt