Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

NGX lands but cannot be stopped!

Yes this really is weird and has happened three times to me now. I have searched the forum but not found anything (although the Avsim search engine leaves much to be desired). On three occasions now I have landed the 737NG-800, which from 1500 feet AGL, were in full manual control - the autopilot and A/T were both off and flaps set at 30 with gear down. Autobrake was set to level 3. After t/down I hit F2 to get reverse thrust and the reversers activated ok. When down to about 60kts I hit F1 to idle the throttles and applied manual braking, so disconnecting the autobrake. But the plane kept going and did not appear to be slowing. It was certainly too fast for a taxiway turn-off, even the high speed ones. The first two times this happened I ended up crashing on the ground and as is the case with FS you cannot then review what might have been wrong. The third time I was able to steer the plane off the end of the runway and on to the grass and it gradually slowed down but not in response to anything I was doing. When it came to a halt I used FS Recorder to do a replay and watched inside the cockpit. Sure enough, the A/P and A/T were both off after 1500 AGL, flaps were at 30 and the gear was down. The landing was fine if a little firm but otherwise quite normal but Madam NGX just wanted to keep rolling as I've described above. The only common factors between all three incidents is that they occurred at airports with scenery by UK2000, thr first time at Belfast Xtreme the other two times at Gatwick Xtreme. I mention that but really cannot see how the scenery would influence what happened. Anyone else have anything like this happen? My rig, btw, is Gigabyte board with Core2 Quad Q9650 not clocked and 4GB DDR2 RAM/Geforce 9600GT 512MB. Iain Smith

sounds like the panel freeze ...some people have this problem ... and there is no fix/workaround for it now ...at approach/landing the plane freezes with panels and input and you are not able to control it anymore and it will do weird things.Hope they will fix this in the future

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

Check your failure menu in the CDU (FMC). you may have had a brake failure. It does happen if your not careful. I've had this happen a few times.

There is a bug in the autobrake where if you disconnect it manually, the brakes will not work. with autobrake still enabled, try braking twice for a couple of seconds each time to disconnect the autobrake. Then manual brakes should work.

There is a bug in the autobrake where if you disconnect it manually, the brakes will not work. with autobrake still enabled, try braking twice for a couple of seconds each time to disconnect the autobrake. Then manual brakes should work.
That is what I did Di - well more or less. I didn't turn the switch to disconnect just clicked on my trigger switch, as usual. Thanks to all who responded. Let's hope for a quick fix! Iain Smith

Possible brake fading? Steel brakes? Just covering all the possible bases...

I had something similair but it was on the taxi out.I had a brake failure on a previous landing. I coasted into chocks and was doing a 30 minute quickturn and I called maintenance to fix the brakes (reset the failure). On the taxi back out the brakes were still acting like they were failed eventhough I reset them several times and the CDU confirmed it was cleared in the ALL SYSTEMS page. I tried several things including shuting down and going back to cold and starting back up. The only thing that worked was to reload the NGX from the aircraft menu. Now i make it a habit to reload the aircraft after a failure reset to ensure the failure is cleared out.

Chuck Biggins

no, this is not a break failure-it´s a break bug. i have just the same problem as described above-each time. so this bug can be reproduced.turn off the auto break while using it during the landing. e.g. at the speed of 60 knots only disonnect the auto brake manually (turn auto brake to zero) and you will have no manual brakes.if you dont turn the auto break off, let the plane slowing down to 0 knots, then disconnect the auto break-you can use manual breaking normaly. or is it a normal 737procedure not to turn off the autobreak when you dont need it any longer? i´ve never seen really 737pilots just stopping on the runway after landing-they are directly rolling to the taxiway

no, this is not a break failure-it´s a break bug. i have just the same problem as described above-each time. so this bug can be reproduced.turn off the auto break while using it during the landing. e.g. at the speed of 60 knots only disonnect the auto brake manually (turn auto brake to zero) and you will have no manual brakes.if you dont turn the auto break off, let the plane slowing down to 0 knots, then disconnect the auto break-you can use manual breaking normaly. or is it a normal 737procedure not to turn off the autobreak when you dont need it any longer? i´ve never seen really 737pilots just stopping on the runway after landing-they are directly rolling to the taxiway
You break hard twice for a couple of seconds (with the period (.) key or whatever) and it disconnects the autobrake

I noticed after Hotfix 3 that holding the brakes down twice and applying more pressure than the autobrakes is using doesn't work as it did before Hotfix 3. To get around that, what I do now is wait until about 60 knots and start manually braking and reach over and turn the AutoBrakes knob to the Off position. I have never lost my brakes doing it this way. At 60 knots I am also disabling reverse thrust and retracting the spoilers. I don't know if these actions all combined together are the reason I am not having any problems and others are? The only time I have lost my brakes was when my Saitek pedals briefly lost their connection to the USB Port. It was just for a split second (kind of like a power surge) and the only reason I noticed it was cause the lights on my X52-Pro Throttle and Stick blinked for a fraction of a second. It is like when there is a storm and the power lets you know its about to go out. The slight dimming of the lights in your house. Be sure your controllers are snugly and firmly plugged into your USB ports, and that they are calibrated before takeoff and before landing. If for any reason your controllers lose communication with the computer you will lose your brakes.