Sign in to follow this  
korn101

Flight1 BN-2 Islander vs. RealAir B60 Duke

Hey,I'm new here :) I already currently own the RealAir Beechcraft B60 Duke (prop version) for FSX and I think it's a great aircraft. Among my collection, I think it has to be my favourite balance between Entry level GA to Professional GA :D I love it I recently saw at the SimFlight Awards 2011 that the Flight1 BN-2 Islander actually beat the RealAir Duke in votes in the "General Aviation Commuter Aircraft" Category. Now I'm eye balling the BN-2 Islander :D and I just wanted to get some feedback from people who are currently flying this bird :) and I want to hear how it stacks up against the B60 Duke. Would it be worth buying the BN-2 when I already have the B60 Duke? The duke is really slick. Almost any other aircraft I fly after it doesn't compare (apart from PMDG's amazing add-on aircraft) so I'm wondering if this BN-2 will have any profound 'Wow' factor to me. Thanks and I hope to hear some cool reply's :D Cheers!

It's good but not in the Real Air Class. The panel doesn't look as if it's just come straight off the production line. Besides, the're two totally different aircraft for different purposes. Both aircraft are worthy of purchase.

Guest bstolle

If you like the extremely high standard the RealAir Duke features, it will be most probably rather difficult to like the BN-2. Not by much, but the BN-2 is noticable inferior in every area, VC, sounds, external model etc...

Korn,Two great products!!!! The RealAir Duke and the Islander have been visually modeled and simulated very well by their, and the flight characteristics and performance of both aircraft are significantly different. The Islander has amazing STOL capabilities, even when fully loaded, but is a slow aircraft. The Duke is a faster aircraft but does not have the STOL capability of the Islander.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I don't have the Duke but am thoroughly enjoying the Islander. I think it comes down to what you like to fly and where you like to fly. If bush flying or island hopping interests you, the Islander is a must. Unfortunately, the Islander isn't working well with FSCaptain. Hopefully a fix will be found. Also, I replaced the GPS with something I'm more use to. Sounds, feel, and fun are all there. Randall

I bought both planes and I like them both for totally different reasons. I personally find the BN-2 more fun to fly and I use it way more than the Duke despite its lower visual quality, but thats just me.

Guest bstolle

That's a good point. One of the reasons I fly the BN-2 90% more than the Duke is that I love to watch the scenery down below. In most twins (as IRL) you don't see anything because the wings and the engines are completely blocking the view.Also a reason why I'm looking forward to the Cessna 337 ;)

Get the Duke Turbine and a RXP GNS530 and you'll never touch either of those other aircraft again, lol.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) really appreciate it. I love the Duke so much I haven't been able to like any other payware GA aircraft. Even some of the earlier Carenado GA aircraft I find myself frowning at after flying the RealAir for so much :( don't get me wrong carenado do make some very awesome aircraft.

Get the Duke Turbine and a RXP GNS530 and you'll never touch either of those other aircraft again, lol.
Is the turbine duke and RXP worth it?

If you love the Duke as much as you say you do then the Turbine will have you hooked completely believe me. Getting up to 20,000 feet plus in a little as 9 minutes is fantastic, landing at short strips is now possible with the Turbine version, where as with the normal Duke you needed long runways. Adding the RXP to the Duke Turbine is the icing on the cake in my opinion, I even went as far as buying the unlimited pack.

Cheers, Andy.

If you love the Duke as much as you say you do then the Turbine will have you hooked completely believe me. Getting up to 20,000 feet plus in a little as 9 minutes is fantastic, landing at short strips is now possible with the Turbine version, where as with the normal Duke you needed long runways. Adding the RXP to the Duke Turbine is the icing on the cake in my opinion, I even went as far as buying the unlimited pack.
Then I will have to take a look at that :) Thanks and If the BN-2 islander is "inferior" to the Duke in almost every way then why is it the Winner of the simflight award with the B60 trailing behind it?

Another vote for Turbine duke. Like strapping a rocket to your back, challenging though, not to overtorque the engines, and also on approach, quite a delay for power commands. Just like the real thing I imagine.

Personally I don't think the BN2 is inferior in any way. You are trying to compare two completely different aircraft. Low and slow? I fly BN2. Want to get somewhere in a hurry? Turbine Duke every time. I own and make extensive use of, the Orbx scenery package for the Pacific Northwest (all products) and the BN2 is the only way to go. Like Bstolle, I'm a scenery gazer. Truthfully I find nothing at all wrong with the visuals, sound package, etc in the BN2. Only the most discriminating will be offended by the visuals. Great sim. I also own and make extensive use of the Turbine Duke, having graduated upwards after putting in over 200 hours on the original version. IMHO, it is the best GA sim in the world today, bar none. When I want to travel it's the Duke. When I want to play tourist and enjoy my high end sceneries, BN2 every time.

Guest bstolle

I wouldn't take these 'awards' as a guideline or even serious.Best example is the CH Fw190. The A2A Spitfire outclasses the 190 very easy by a much bigger margin than the B60 the BN-2. Guess it's as almost everywhere in journalism.....A2A and RealAir simply don't need it to pay anyone to get their products promoted ;)

The RealAir Turbine Duke is ridiculously fun. I would (and did) pick that over the piston version. It's less complex, gets in and out of tighter spots and the performance is so good it almost seems unrealistic (but of course, since it's RealAir, it's as realistic as it could possibly be in FSX). The hardest part is actually slowing down, keeping below the reline at lower altitudes, and keeping up during the takeoff and climbout where it only takes seconds before you're at several thousand feet. I believe they offer a discount if you already own the piston version.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP