Hey guys, and girl One of nicks instructions is to unhide the hidden files when tuning W7. After I did that two desktop.ini files showed up on my desktop. Should I leave them alone? Cheers

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Let it be , you never know what will happen if you delete them.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Should be fine to get rid of them without any worries. Back them up first just in case if you wish. They're usually temporary files that things like installers create then just leave behind as junk.

Should be fine to get rid of them without any worries. Back them up first just in case if you wish. They're usually temporary files that things like installers create then just leave behind as junk.
are you sure it's ok to delete them , as windows is a funny piece of software.

Windows is not a funny piece of software at all. It's understanding the software that people struggle with. They are safe to remove as they aren't critical files whatsoever. All they do is hold folder view options for the desktop folder when viewed in a window. EDIT: OP, if you want to get rid of them whilst still having hidden files shown, you can do the following. Go to folder options and make sure "Hide protected operating system files" is checked. If it already is, un-check it, hit apply, then re-ckeck it before again hitting apply. They should now be hidden.

What if I compromise and stick them in a folder on the desktop? I just want them out of the way. As long as windows knows they're there. I don't want to cause performance issues.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Wrong! Desktop.ini's can contain boot information, which removing can cause the OS to be unbootable.

Wrong! Desktop.ini's can contain boot information, which removing can cause the OS to be unbootable.
Di, you are a savior was about to delete them and that too SHIFT DELETE blink.png

With my last PC, I had done a few tweaks to the OS, which some of the data was contained in the desktop.ini. I thought I was clever and deleted them. Bam. BSOD every time windows was booting. Had to fresh install windows. Just check the content within before deleting.

They look just great in the corner.

They do NOT contain any boot info. They contain ShellClassInfo, which has nothing to do with the boot process at all! If you ran into problems, it was due to something else. If you can explain to me any factual information on how they affect the windows boot sequence, I'm all ears. Otherwise it's just a case of what you think might have happened. OP, you can follow my advice above to hide them, I guarantee you that it is completely safe.

I reapplied the tweaks and had a look in the .ini. Without the .ini it wouldn't have booted. Maybe your standard OS Doesnt contain anything related but mine did. And no. It wasn't anything else. Don't try be a smart a$$ and say otherwise because I know what I did and why the BSOD's occurred.

I reapplied the tweaks and had a look in the .ini. Without the .ini it wouldn't have booted. Maybe your standard OS Doesnt contain anything related but mine did. And no. It wasn't anything else. Don't try be a smart a$$ and say otherwise because I know what I did and why the BSOD's occurred.
What tweaks? Di/Dianna/Steve, whatever your name is, you don't know what you're on about. You've already lost all credibility around here so at the very least I'd watch your language if you plan on staying. I won't be spoken to like that, and I know the mods won't tolerate it. 1000 posts in about a week will do crazy things to someone's head, perhaps you should go outside and chill out a bit.

chill people the posts headed in a wrong way , lets not jump to each other's throats. Everyone here needs some help or the other for the OS / FSX / Hardware and no one is an expert at everything. Hey if anyone does require help for Linux just buzz Big%20Grin.gif

What tweaks? Di/Dianna/Steve, whatever your name is, you don't know what you're on about. You've already lost all credibility around here so at the very least I'd watch your language if you plan on staying. I won't be spoken to like that, and I know the mods won't tolerate it. 1000 posts in about a week will do crazy things to someone's head, perhaps you should go outside and chill out a bit.
And clearly an over inflated ego goes straight to your head. You don't want to be spoken to like trash? Don't down talk on me as if I'm some form of unwanted muck on your shoe. Learn some respect and then I might respect you back. I know what I did/did not do. I know what caused the boot BSOD. You do not. So don't come and try and come across to me like Bill Gates junior because you've been here longer. Unfortunately for you, there is no relationship with length of time you've been a member here, and level of intelligence.