Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Can a CPU upgrade help me run FSX mostly maxed out

I have a AMD 6000 X2 3.1 Ghz with 4 GB RAM and NVIDIA GTS 250 1 Gb on Win 7 x64.I see Phenom II X4 CPU on 3.2-3.6 GHz. How much would that help performence in FSX?I Tun ORBX addons and also addon planes Radar Contact ASE .I think I would expect a significant improvement, But I suppose FS9 wouldn't be helped sinceit only runs on one core,How limited woud I by mt Gts 250 1 Gb videorard?

FSX, well lets jut say nothing can run it maxed out smoothly if you through it all at it. That upgrade would help a fair bit in your performance but you won't be able to max it out at ORBX airports. The GTS 250 is not the most powerful card but it'll do the job pretty well since fsx is a CPU dominant application. If you can afford an upgrade you would probably aim for a GTX 550 for some nice performance but if you can't, just stick with the 250.

Like Andrew said, the upgrade will give you increased performance, and many AMD users here run FSX well. But the problem is the level of sliders. A lot of AMD users say they run their FSX on max settings and smooth as silk. This is impossible to start with. Most are actually running their sliders on mid/mid-high settings in the 60-75% area. At scenery like ORBX I'd assume they'd have to turn them down a little further.

Just get a couple of profiles in the display saves. One for VFR and one for IFR. For VFR you only usually fly at little airports and not extreme planes like the NGX so settings go up nicely.

jfri, I run my setup right now with full sliders , the same is tested on my friends system similar config and OC'ed 3.8 running NGX @klga in Gray n Rainy we manage low 15 and high 23 on ground. If I run NL2000 EHSE I achieve lows 17 and max 29-30 on ground. FSX max core usage would be a quad you definitely will achieve something better than I am getting using certain tweaks. A Phenom is much better than the 6000 X2 series. As Andrew said no system can run FSX maxed out at decent frames.And then it will also depend on the addons you shall use. You should first try it out on the current system and see the performance you will be the best judge at that moment. All systems perform a bit different.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

jfri, I run my setup right now with full sliders , the same is tested on my friends system similar config and OC'ed 3.8 running NGX @klga in Gray n Rainy we manage low 15 and high 23 on ground. If I run NL2000 EHSE I achieve lows 17 and max 29-30 on ground. FSX max core usage would be a quad you definitely will achieve something better than I am getting using certain tweaks. A Phenom is much better than the 6000 X2 series. As Andrew said no system can run FSX maxed out at decent frames.And then it will also depend on the addons you shall use. You should first try it out on the current system and see the performance you will be the best judge at that moment. All systems perform a bit different.
After reading a lot of customer reviews for this CPU I found out that indeed performence is much better compared to my current 6000 X2. And that was propably with games other than FSX(which would benefit even more). Another experience almost all had with phenom II X4 was that the stock cooler was so loud during gaming that another cooler is a must. So that cost needs to be taken into account.One thing I might mention is that I don't have DDR3 Ram. Actually I don't think I have the fastest RAM my MOBO supports.I do intend to use addon planes. Got for example A2A Cub Quest Codiak BeaverX. I already have fairly descent performence as long as I stay away from city areas.I really thought that the newest computer with the new Sandy Bridge CPU could run FSX maxed out in sceneries like orbx and with add on planes

After reading a lot of customer reviews for this CPU I found out that indeed performence is much better compared to my current 6000 X2. And that was propably with games other than FSX(which would benefit even more). Another experience almost all had with phenom II X4 was that the stock cooler was so loud during gaming that another cooler is a must. So that cost needs to be taken into account.One thing I might mention is that I don't have DDR3 Ram. Actually I don't think I have the fastest RAM my MOBO supports.I do intend to use addon planes. Got for example A2A Cub Quest Codiak BeaverX. I already have fairly descent performence as long as I stay away from city areas.I really thought that the newest computer with the new Sandy Bridge CPU could run FSX maxed out in sceneries like orbx and with add on planes
I doubt the SB's run maxed and can't comment as I don't have a SB. What are you using and which RAM modules are those ? For a after market cooler the best in the budget is Cooler Master Hyper 212+

I doubt the SB's run maxed and can't comment as I don't have a SB. What are you using and which RAM modules are those ?For a after market cooler the best in the budget is Cooler Master Hyper 212+
I haveKingston ValueR. DDR2 PC6400 4096MB CL5,Kit w/two matched ValueRAM 2048MB DDR2

Hahaha even I am running FSX at max except water and effects and some traffic but @1024x768 and at klga in bad weather I am getting 22 fps and in the air clear weather I achieving 29-30 of course after a few tweaks and Ocing. yes the SB's may pull fantastic FPS and no doubt about it. DDR2 may just not cut it. FSX requires speed. and 4GB is fine for FSX. Phenom's are an older tech then the SB's .

Try adding ImagineSim's KLGA and the NGX then watch a picture slideshow!

Try adding ImagineSim's KLGA and the NGX then watch a picture slideshow!
HAHAHAHA not again, there is no debate going on about AMD / Intel , lets not compare an older tech with the new ones Tounge.gif The default KLGA is with the NGX.

HAHAHAHA not again, there is no debate going on about AMD / Intel , lets not compare an older tech with the new ones Tounge.gif The default KLGA is with the NGX.
Still I would like to know which Intel processor is closest in performence to this Phenom II X4?

The newer core 2 quads supporting DDR3. They're on the similar architecture.

The C2 quads and the Phenom II x4 closets rivals.

Not sure if you have noticed but FSX is probably almost as old as you are!
What is with you and attacking every single person? Are you wanting to be banned??