Sign in to follow this  
compressor_stall

Approaches to LOWI?

Who's flown into Innsbruck?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have flown an approach into the famous Flughafen Innsbruck (LOWI) using the PMDG 737-800NGX?

• I have flown into LOWI under VMC.
    • I have balls of steel and have flown into LOWI under IMC.
    • I am planning a flight into LOWI.
    • What and where is LOWI?

I landed twl times in LOWI. One time properly at the 26. And one time on the 08 after passing the Kempten VOR. Was a little bit tricky to slow down the 738 on final. Maybe half a mile before the threshold I reached Vref. I have to check out how I can Land at the 08 properly. The LLZ/DME Approach maybe would be the solution for that. :)

I have a video of a Transavia 737 800 flying from Amsterdam to Innsbruck. They lower the gear at 8000 ft. and use flaps 30 for the whole approach.They land on RW 8. Very interesting to watch.

I've done the approach many times with the J41. As you might know this turboprop is very tricky on the steep approaches. By the time the glideslope is alive the plane has to be configured for landing w. flaps 25 and gear down. Almost the same applies for the 737NG. Speed management is crucial considering the improved wings and glide ratio of the NG. How I fly the east procedure: from the Rattenberg NDB level at 9500 and minimum flaps up speed. Upon clearance OEJ localizer start reducing speed and lower flaps on sequence. At DME21 OEV (Innsbruck VOR) capture the localizer and further reduce speed for flaps 15. Ready for glideslope at V flaps 15. On glideslope capture at DME18 OEV select flaps 15. At average weight the jet should be able to hold the speed down the glideslope. For max landing weight the gear should be selected down for speed management. Because of the high MDA and visual part of the approach I am ready with the lading checklist latest by DME10 OEV. <disclaimer> the method above is "my way". I would love to compare it with some RL 737 procedures.

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

InnsBruck is easy. Cant see whatthe fuss is about. The Rattenburg2 departure is a little more tricky as you hand fly the first part of the SID until you are back over the airfiled at which point you can engage autopilot. see here http://ivao.xenoflex.de/Download/Charts/LOWI.pdf The mountains are very close indeed as you make that first left turn. terrain warnings are a feature of that dep. Wycliffe

^^ Just a quick note -> It´s the RattenbErg (translated to English: "Ratmountain", it´s a small village) SID LOL.gif Regards,Thomas

lol, funny poll... LOWI app is not so demanding as it appears to be... made, I dont know, probably over 100 landings there in FS without any problem...

So how many of you have flown an approach into the famous Innsbruck Airport (LOWI)?
I fly this regularly. Be it IMC or VMC. No big thing.

Dave P. Woycek

There are 2 different IFR-approaches to RWY 08: The official one (according to the charts) is by making a circle-to-land in the south of the airport. But a friend who lives there told me that there is a second way to do the circling in the north of LOWI with reducing airspeed to minimum (landing configuration) and then make a steep descent while circling.

I flew in from Zurich last week for the first time. Not the best of landings but safe.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have a video of a Transavia 737 800 flying from Amsterdam to Innsbruck. They lower the gear at 8000 ft. and use flaps 30 for the whole approach.They land on RW 8. Very interesting to watch.
Could you post a link to this video?