Sign in to follow this  
shafs

would it improve my PC if

If i put mor ram in or change the video card? specs below X58a-ud7i7-960 3.20ghz2 GTX470s SLI 8GIG high end corsiar ram.

CPU - You could overclock it if you got a good 3rd party CPU Cooler. FSX scales very well and the higher your clocks the faster it will go. 8 Gig Ram - That is all you really need. Video Cards - FSX Doesn't support SLI. So turn off SLI and either Use 1 Video Card with the other disabled when running FSX. Or you can use both cards to power seperate monitors just long as they are not in SLI mode. Test it out yourself and you will probably find that SLI has been slowing you down and that 1 card is actually faster than 2. The CPU accounts for 75 percent of your FPS, The Video Card accounts for the other 25 percent.

I will have a look at the SLI and see if it works better on one card.

I tested it with one card and didn't see any jump in FPS down or up.

Overclock. Simple as that. Pick up a good CPU cooler and OC to around 4GHz.

Sell 1 graphic card and buy some water cooling system and more RAM
Erm, sorry, But extra RAM will have no effect at all as FSX is a 32bit program. 6Gb of RAM is the ultimate. If running an i7 chip, which is three channel, then the ideal set would be 3 x 2Gb sticks of RAM. As has already been said, FSX is a CPU heavy program and places far less work on the GPU. The best thing would be to OC the i7, which is a chip that is particulalry easy to OC, providing you know what you're doing. I have the i7950 stock at 3.05Ghz and have taken it to 4.15Ghz on air, with temps never higher than 78c under test load. Do your own sums, but you could easily go beyond 4Ghz I would imagine, that would provide substantial increase in performance. But more RAM or changing the video card? No, unless you want to be extremely disappointed! wink.png EDIT: The other obvious solution (for some) to increase the peformance is to tweak the cfg file. however, this is only to be recommended once you have a stable system and you have got FSX running as good as possible. If tweaking, it should be done methodically and with a standard test flight, with one change at a time. Never simply add a handful of tweaks that have been collected off a forum somehwere. Add each individually and test and test. With a successful OC and some good tweaks it is possible to get FSX to fly (sorry) but it takes time.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Look, he do not have to sell graphic card, but in that way he can finance cooling upgrade. He do not need 2 graphic cards in SLI for FSX. Why not 3x4 gb ram?

My advice: Change your ram for this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226241 Get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181016 and OC that processor. Forget about the GPU's. Leave them as they are. Changing that will only do minimal change

He might have other stuff on his system besides FSX. If he has games like Quake, Doom, Unreal Tournament, Crysis etc. Then having 2 cards in SLI will give him a huge boost in performance. Most all 3d games out there today can take advantage of multiple GPU's. Even X-plane 10 is supposed to be Multi-GPU capable and will use a blend of the CPU and GPU to give you that flightsim you always dreamed of. Not sure if Microsoft Flight will be the same but if it is, then you wont need a Cray to run it well. All I was saying is FSX doesn't support SLI, so whether you have 1 or 2 or 3 it is not gonna give you any extra FPS. The only thing your doing having 2 or 3 cards running in SLI with FSX is turning your computer into a heater in the middle of summer. Tounge.gif

All I was saying is FSX doesn't support SLI, so whether you have 1 or 2 or 3 it is not gonna give you any extra FPS. The only thing your doing having 2 or 3 cards running in SLI with FSX is turning your computer into a heater in the middle of summer. Tounge.gif
Sorry Paul but that's not completely true. Under certain conditions where CPU load is reduced, FSX will in fact use more than one GPU to high loads (over 50% each card). Granted, even with modern hardware, the sim is going to be bound by the CPU more often than not. It certainly seems like multi GPUs could come in very handy for those of use who choose to run multiple monitor setups, or running with unusually high levels of AA. Point is, contrary to popular belief, there are people who have shown FSX to be somewhat capable of running SLI. Have a look through the following thread for one example.http://forum.avsim.n...rtual-cockpits/ To the OP, there is nothing wrong with your system at all. No need to change the RAM whatsoever, just as there's no need to add in any more. All you need to do with that rig for better performance is to get it overclocked as high as you comfortably can. Aside from that there's no need for any upgrades at all, unless you start from scratch and go sandybridge.

There is absolutely no need for more RAM. FSX can only read into 4 GB Ram. Not more. Check your page file . You need enough there and also no need to overclockWhat are your Frame Rates?In 2 D , in 3 D excluding and including HUD, on the deck , in flight etc. Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

Sorry Paul but that's not completely true. Under certain conditions where CPU load is reduced, FSX will in fact use more than one GPU to high loads (over 50% each card) The only time that comes into play is if your using a resolution over 1920x1080 and running a 30 inch monitor for example. The majority of people on here are running at 1920x1080 resolution or less so I didn't mention it. Dual GPUs are not needed and won't benefit you until the higher resolutions and extreme amounts of AA and AS.

Sorry Paul but that's not completely true. Under certain conditions where CPU load is reduced, FSX will in fact use more than one GPU to high loads (over 50% each card) The only time that comes into play is if your using a resolution over 1920x1080 and running a 30 inch monitor for example. The majority of people on here are running at 1920x1080 resolution or less so I didn't mention it. Dual GPUs are not needed and won't benefit you until the higher resolutions and extreme amounts of AA and AS.
I wonder where I fit in. 2x580 in surround and a gt520 powering a 1080x1920 touchscreen. Best bang for the OP's buck is to buy an aftermarket cooler & OC the cpu, as has already been mentioned a few times.

I am running win7 64bit. the only other gameing i do is Company of Hero’s. since we are on the subject i am getting a 15fps at KSEA thats with mid to high end settings on the sliders. One issue i am seeing jerking and the FPS will jump up and down. Also i am useing smart6 that came with the X58a-ud7 is it a good add on.