Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Joysticks with throttle and joystick?

I've enjoyed my saitek x52 for years now, but I may have accidentally destroyed it I was wondering if there were any out there like it but not by the same company? (looking for something a little different)

Something cheap but with perfect motion and good big aircraft feel:Thrustmaster T16000mNot sure if thats the right number though, but theres nothing similar in there range

HOTAS Warthog, if you have the moola...Best joystick I've every owned.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

HOTAS Warthog, if you have the moola...Best joystick I've every owned.Cheers,Noel.
+1 for the Warthog if you can afford it. The Hall Effect sensors (magnetic, not mechanical) give much finer, more precise control than anything else out there. Far and away the best controller I've ever used. I believe the Thrustmaster 1600 uses the same technology. I haven't used it, so can't comment, bu it might be another option.

I use the X52 Pro for all "stick aircraft" and find it very good. No problems with mine, very smooth response. Only thing I did was open the throttle unit and remove the little plastic lug, to get rid of the detents - my Cubs and Scouts don't have afterburners LOL.gif If you want more sticks to choose from, you can just buy a separate USB throttle quadrant unit from CH, Saitek etc. and use it with any joystick or yoke.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

If I may ask Alan_A and Virtualwombat, what do you fly with the Warthog? Light GA, combat jets, big iron boeings? Thinking of getting one, but wanted to make sure it would be good with small/light singles and twins in FSX. I know it will be great for DCS A-10 im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

If I may ask Alan_A and Virtualwombat, what do you fly with the Warthog? Light GA, combat jets, big iron boeings? Thinking of getting one, but wanted to make sure it would be good with small/light singles and twins in FSX. I know it will be great for DCS A-10 im%20Not%20Worthy.gif
The Warthog is my only controller - I use it with a whole range of airplanes. Current favorites include the A2A Cub, the Aerosoft/4X Katana, the A2A B-17, the A2A Stratocruiser, and the PMDG 377. Have also used it recently in the Aerosoft Dimona and Ant's Tecnam Sierra. Clearly it's not realistic for any of those airplanes. But the "feel" of the hardware and, more importantly, the precision of the control response makes it realistic for me in a way that none of my other controllers were. In the recent past I used the Logitech G940 (quite good when used with FS Force), and after that died, I set up multiple controllers through FSUIPC, so I could use the CH Yoke and multiple throttle quadrants with yoke-equipped airplanes, and the CH Fighterstick with stick-equipped airplanes. Unfortunately I could never get any of those controls to feel right - trimming was hard, and I was always either overcontrolling or undercontrolling on flare. With the Warthog, by contrast, hand-flying is a pleasure - I was just able to hand-fly the Stratocruiser through a whole flight, trim it for straight-and-level, nail the altitude, and nail the landing. To me, that makes it worth the tradeoff for not using a yoke. FYI that I also once used the Saitek yoke but could never get used to the sticky center detent - I preferred the CH in that respect. Now, in fairness, I've never used high-end yoke and throttle hardware like the units from PFC or (in regard to throttles) Go Flight. People who use them swear by them (though several seem to prefer the column yokes to the desktop yokes). The price is far higher than for the Warthog, especially if you want to use multiple PFC throttle quadrants with different aircraft. To my knowledge, none of them have the Hall Effect sensors, which make all the difference for me in the Warthog. Sometimes the Warthog feels like overkill in the Cub but the control quality is so good that holding a steel controller with lots of switches and buttons doesn't bother me much. You adjust. Obviously controllers are a very personal thing, and others will have different opinions. But for me the Warthog is the best across-the-board solution - and compared to the other high-end hardware, it's a (relative) bargain. Hope this helps.

Thanks for detailed response! I have a modded Cougar, but since my upgrade to Win7-64bit I can't get it working. Runs fine on a WinXP box, so I know it isn't the Cougar that is the problem. So I was thinking of getting the Warthog, but wanted to make sure it was OK for GA flying. And I am like you, realism isn't as important as control and ability to map function to all the buttons. My Cougar is great (it's an evenstrain mod), but I never flew a F-16 in FSX! LOL.gif

Glad it was helpful. By the way, in my list of current favorite airplanes, I should of course have written "PMDG 737," not "PMDG 377." While the latter might be interesting, I'm not sure it could beat the A2A 377, which is a fine piece of work in its own right. Beyond that... it's clear that typing fast and late at night is a bad combination... The Warthog works great for me in W7 64-bit, by the way. Good luck with it!

Well, I splurged and ordered the Warthog and Saitek combat pedals, since my old pedals are not USB. I have no willpower, sigh!
My rig exactly. I had the same buyer's remorse and put it aside the minute I unpacked the Warthog. Relax - it'll last you through several systems. Plus you'll love it. Enjoy!

My rig exactly. I had the same buyer's remorse and put it aside the minute I unpacked the Warthog. Relax - it'll last you through several systems. Plus you'll love it. Enjoy!
Hehehe....I know, I'd still be using my Cougar if I could get it to work, and that lasted 6 or 7 years I think (can't remember when I got it). Just got to get it past the wife!

Hehehe....I know, I'd still be using my Cougar if I could get it to work, and that lasted 6 or 7 years I think (can't remember when I got it). Just got to get it past the wife!
Oh. Hell There's me thinking of getting a new system with new O.S. - Win 7 64 bit - and it seems my Cougar will be no good Have you confirmed that there is incompatibility ?Is it a no go?

Oh. Hell There's me thinking of getting a new system with new O.S. - Win 7 64 bit - and it seems my Cougar will be no goodHave you confirmed that there is incompatibility ?Is it a no go?
I have not been able to get it to work, but plenty of others have it working without problems, so I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or my motherboard's USB ports are quirky. You need to d/l the latest 64-bit Vista driver from Thrustmaster (it includes foxy in the d/l), and then run it in compatibility mode as Vista SP2 and then run it as administrator. Also, don't use the default file location in "Program Files", install it to another directory like Games\HOTAS or something. I've done all of this, and can sometimes get it working for a short period, then it won't be recogninzed. But plugging it into my XP box, CCP always sees and can calibrate and d/l settings without a problem. I am leaning to a weird motherboard problem, but can't prove that.