Sign in to follow this  
ajpongress

Real World Ops vs FCOMv1

I've been watching this video:

I took notes and compared them with the FCOM volume 1 supplied with the NGX.My questions: (some related to the vid and some not) - In the video, both A and B hydraulic systems are switched on as part of preflight.I read in the FCOM that this is only done if the "nose gear steering lockout pin" is installed.If it's not installed, only system B should be on because system A may cause unwanted tow-bar movement.How do we know if it's installed or not in our NGX? - the after start checklist calls for the engine start levers (fuel cutoff) set at IDLE detent.From what I can tell, there's only off and on. How do I move them to idle detent? - in the FCOM, I found there are THREE takeoff procedures based on the plane's options.These options are: 1. Option - With auto T/O thrust reduction and with FMC U10.7 and earlier2. Option - With auto T/O thrust reduction and with FMC U10.8 and later, FCC Collins P4 and later or FCC Honeywell 710 and later and CDS BP06 and later3. Option - Without auto T/O thrust reduction and with FMC U10.7 and earlier Based on which option the plane has, things like VNAV are engaged at different times of the initial climb.So....again, where do we find out which option our NGX has in order to operate it properly? Thanks for reading!

I wondered about all of the items in your list. I went with option 2 because the NGX has FMC U10.8 and I think the VNAV just depends on the operating procedures of the operator and the pilot's discretion? I'll be interested to see the other replies.

That is one thing i still need to learn about. I am more familiar with the 777. I remember that VNAV and LNAV would be switched on even before pushback and on the FMA you would see modes TOGA/TOGA both for vertical and horizontal, with VNAV and LNAV showing below as armed. Later, during and after take off, the flight director would show attitude related to the take off and climbout procedure and eventually switch to VNAV and LNAV. I am not sure you can do that in the 737. At the moment I'm selecting HDG and LVL CHG before take off to get some FD indications. Anyone's read about it?

Omar Josef
737/757/767

I preselect LNAV and usually preselect VNAV too, they become active at 400RA so I pitch up to 15 degrees and try to maintain V2+20 for the initial climb out.Once gear is up and I'm stable in the climb out 400RA passes fairly quickly and then I follow the flight director.I find it quite hard to maintain V2+20 as I usually overshoot by 5-10 kts, the flight director commands a pitch up to 20 degrees but I don't follow because at 1500RA Climb thrust is selected and that can cause a reduction in IAS unless I pitch down very quickly, not very comfortable I'm sure!At 3000 its acceleration time and I hold about 7.5 degrees till 250kts and engage the auto pilot. Thats just how I do it in FSX, I know each operator has different VNAV procedures so pick an operator and follow whatever they do. Dan.

In reality, you would arm LNAV on the ground (normally after you receive your airways clearance, but just depends on company SOPs). Currently the one i fly doesnt have the option for VNAV arming on the ground like the 744. We dont select HDG SEL and MCP SPD on the ground. When you select TOGA on the rwy, you should see: N1 | | TOGA The Roll mode should be blank with a white LNAV shown in small indicating LNAV armed. Once airborne, 50ft LNAV should engage (provided you have an active route in the FMC). At thrust reduction height (1000ft), set flaps up speed on the MCP and start retracting flaps when the speed trend shows a positive increase. Once flaps are up and above 3000ft AGL, we then select LVL CHG or VNAV as appropriate. Note though when you select an AP, you have basically cancelled takeoff mode and therefore will default to HDG SEL and MCP SPD if no mode armed on ground. Regarding Engine start levers, there is CUTOFF and IDLE detent. Gather you can call Idle detent ON if you like. Our aircraft has version U10.8 and later. Thrust reduction automatically takes place at 1000ft (as set on Takeoff Ref Page 2/2). There is not need to select N1 manually on the MCP as it is done for you unlike the older version. Hope it helps

Braytoncycle, Is the 1000AGL thrust reduction standard now? Did it used to be 1500? If that is the case I'll have to review my procedures LOL. I fly mainly UK and Europe in the NGX, do you fly in the states? I thought 1000AGL was for the US (I'm probably wrong). Cheers, Dan.

Braytoncycle, Is the 1000AGL thrust reduction standard now? Did it used to be 1500? If that is the case I'll have to review my procedures LOL. I fly mainly UK and Europe in the NGX, do you fly in the states? I thought 1000AGL was for the US (I'm probably wrong). Cheers, Dan.
Hi Dan, our company uses noise abatement procedure NADP2 so our ops states 2 Eng Thrust reduction 1000' and Eng-out 800'. May be different in your part of the world though or with other airlines. Plus we dont have the luxury of the 10min limitation at full take off thrust like some operators do, only 5minutes so 1000ft seems to work just fine.

Based on which option the plane has, things like VNAV are engaged at different times of the initial climb.So....again, where do we find out which option our NGX has in order to operate it properly? Thanks for reading!
IDENT page. It should be the first thing you look at on the FMC. It'll also tell you what engines you have and whether or not your NAV database is current.

Matt Cee

IDENT page. It should be the first thing you look at on the FMC. It'll also tell you what engines you have and whether or not your NAV database is current.
The IDENT page displays which version of the FMC is installed? Any word on how we determine if the nose gear steering lockout pin is installed or not?Or does it matter if I engage both A and B hydraulic systems even if technically it's not?

Any word on how we determine if the nose gear steering lockout pin is installed or not?Or does it matter if I engage both A and B hydraulic systems even if technically it's not?
There is another active thread with three or so rw airline pilots participating. http://forum.avsim.n...is/page__st__25 one or more of these guys might have a clue at how to find your answer. I went thru this with one of the checklist makers the last few days. Somewhere in this forum I posted screenshots with highlights of the Hyd pump switches and electric Hyd Pump switches call outs in the Normal Procedures. It just keep repeating the caution about the nose wheel pin. I was not successful in finding an answer that I had a lot of confidence in. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I did my MCC on a 737-jurassic (737-200) That one had 3 start lever positions: Cutoff, Idle and Start. I recall, in start mode the fuel flow was limited to reduce EGT heat up during start. On the newer 737's fuel flow during start is automatically regulated by the engine control unit so the start position was removed. It is still possible, to lift the start lever and not lock it in the idle position. it could 'fall' from its position to cut off during a bump in the taxiway. that's why the check is for. just feel if the lever can't be pushed down without pulling it forward.

vpa118.png

Rico van Dijk