Sign in to follow this  
Sorux123

Issue getting lined up with the runway

Hello forum The last couple of approaches ive done the autopilot have lined me up a bit aside of the actual runway. Spesificly this happend in LOWI and ENBO. What caueses this and is there anything one can do about it ?Thanks in advance!

The ILS at LOWI will not line you up for the runway.

The approaches at LOWI and ENBO are not aligned with the runway. The approaches at Innsbruck aren't even named after a runway (West and East LOC approaches), which may be some European thing. I believe in the US they're associated with the runway unless they are >30 degrees off, at which point they are circling only approaches (but don't quote me on that... its been a while since instrument training!). Straight in minimums are still published, so I'm not sure why they aren't called the LOC/DME 08 and LOC/DME 26...

The approaches at LOWI and ENBO are not aligned with the runway. The approaches at Innsbruck aren't even named after a runway (West and East LOC approaches), which may be some European thing. I believe in the US they're associated with the runway unless they are >30 degrees off, at which point they are circling only approaches (but don't quote me on that... its been a while since instrument training!). Straight in minimums are still published, so I'm not sure why they aren't called the LOC/DME 08 and LOC/DME 26...
Thanks for your responses! What do you do if the ILS dosent line you up with the runway, and youre not capable of alligning manually due to visibility conditions?And by the way, is it intetionally that some ILS's wont allign you with the runway, or is it just some kind of bug? Cause i think i remember reading something about it in the intro manual. Cheers

if you reach DA(H) (decision altitude(height)) and cannot see the runway or its approach lighting then you have to go around. Either try the approach again or go to an alternate destination. Of course, in the sim, do what you want.

Thanks for your responses! What do you do if the ILS dosent line you up with the runway, and youre not capable of alligning manually due to visibility conditions?And by the way, is it intetionally that some ILS's wont allign you with the runway, or is it just some kind of bug? Cause i think i remember reading something about it in the intro manual. Cheers
For approaches that aren't aligned with the runway, the minimums should provide adequate time/distance to maneuver the aircraft so that you are aligned with the runway on touchdown. Obviously, if you can't see the runway environment at MDA/DH, go around. There are some LLZ based approaches that don't line up with the runway, due to terrain, traffic, etc. (Innsbruck, SFO LDA 28R) The bug described in the manual has to do with the fact that FSX uses 2006 navdata, and the NGX ships with 2011 navdata. When there are discrepancies, the airplane will throw a fit. The fix offered forces the plane to use the FSX navdata, avoiding unintended glitches.

Joe Sherrill

For approaches that aren't aligned with the runway, the minimums should provide adequate time/distance to maneuver the aircraft so that you are aligned with the runway on touchdown. Obviously, if you can't see the runway environment at MDA/DH, go around.
if you reach DA(H) (decision altitude(height)) and cannot see the runway or its approach lighting then you have to go around. Either try the approach again or go to an alternate destination. Of course, in the sim, do what you want.
So just to make sure. While im on the ILS approach(that wont allign me with the runway) i'd want to see the runway at 2500ft, which is DH as far as i know. If i do see the runway at this point, i try to manually allign the plane with the runway. If not, i go around or abort. Is that about right?Oh and, how do i know in advance that the ILS approach im on is one that dosent allign me with the runway?:D Thanks for your help guys! Appreciated!

Thank you for that bit of information,Frederic,because like the OP, I've just completed a landing into LOWI---challenging it certainly is---but despite having the correct ILS frequency generated by EFB, capturing the VOR/LOC, then G/S, it still approached slightly to the left of the Rwy 26 until I took over manually. Now,thanks you your vast RW knowledge,I know why. There's always something new and somebody who knows a bit more, in this Forum.

Manual FTW! JkThis is because LOWI has an Offset ArrivalIt wont take you exactly to the centreline, time to use the help section on FSX see if you can learn the manual landing, it's not hard really.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Typically an offset localizer approach will be identified as an LDA approach (think "Localizer Darn Angle)

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

Hey you should use rudders and check by moving yourself a little bit to the right or left depending where you sitting I do that in my Baron 58. Are you having any crosswinds ? then you would have to do a crab landing.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus