Sign in to follow this  
magnetite

Autoland the NGX?

I was wondering if there was a way where you could land the NGX without the pilot at the controls. Maybe this is something I saw in a movie, but to land a plane without any pilots at the controls, is this possible? Basically in the movie, both pilots were dead and they said that the plane landed itself because they said the airport where they landed it had some sort of new autoland system (Boston, in the movie). I know how to do an autoland, but not sure how to do what I'm describing.

do you mean if it's possible to remotely control the aircraft from the ground? If so, i don't think it is possible.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

They have tried with an Airbus aircraft, you can see it on youtube, the airplane takeoff but flies straigt out and into a wood..... :)

Nobody is doing it at the moment -- true. But, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Look no further than the UAVs deployed in Iraq/Afghanistan. The U.S. Air Force converted a slew of F-4 Phantoms into unmanned drones for target practice more than 15 years ago. Controlling an aircraft remotely is nothing new.

They have tried with an Airbus aircraft, you can see it on youtube, the airplane takeoff but flies straigt out and into a wood..... :)
That aircraft was not radio controlled as many people think. There were pilots onboard, and also journalist. The only airliner that has been radio controlled is a Boeing 707.

If I remember right, the pilot claimed to have set the aircraft up for a low flyby, but the flight computers decided it was a landing! Will Evans.

Thank you, TLC network, for misleading thousands upon thousands of impressionable viewers!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thank you, TLC network, for misleading thousands upon thousands of impressionable viewers!
Yea, that was indeed a big gaffe on their part.