Sign in to follow this  
Paul Clancy

Ryanair Circuits

I've been really enjoying flying the NGX in slow tight visual circuits for touch and go practice, makes good fun to setup some FMC waypoints and do it in total overcast IMC using the ILS and the HUGS at times. I was shared a nice chart from Ryanair of how they are taught to fly visual circuits so thought i'd share here: 1c645.png

I always thought you weren't allowed to descent during a downwind of a circuit but I guess it's necessary with a heavy to get down to 900ft above field elevation when turning on finals

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

You don't need to begin the descent on downwind. The descent begins during the turn onto base. You should aim to roll out onto finals at 600-700 feet and stabilise by 500 feet. Cheers DZ

That diagram clearly shows a descent. I've practiced circuits in the NGX and have struggled with such a tight path of only 3.5nm around the airport, found it difficult getting down from 1500 - 900 and getting the airspedd back down (as featured in a recent video post on here) and getting lined up with only a couple of miles to the threshold...just all moves to fast!!Worried.gif

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

I'm pretty sure it's just an error in the drawing. The text shows that the 500fpm descent starts on the turn onto base. Of course you can adjust the descent rate as required. And yes, you must do things very quickly when executing a visual circuit. Cheers DZ

Cheer DavidMy wrong, I didnt read each instruction as it was just an initial observation. I now see the descent rate of 500ft per min and guess the 'descent' in the diagram is simply to the annotation could fit

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson