Sign in to follow this  
trisager

SIDs, STARs, and Transitions - Worked Example IV

(Apologies for double posting - went in wrong forum the first time) Here is a more advanced example of how to use the NGX' flight management computer to fly SIDs and STARs, and how to transition between the different phases of flight. It takes you from Innsbruck to Moscow, and along the way you have to deal with metric flight levels and altitudes based on QFE. This worked example is in pdf format and can be downloaded from this location. I hope you enjoy it! Feedback is always welcome smile.png

Tom, Excellent. Thanks a million for all your attention to these tutorials. Special thanks for posting the pdf for downloads - so much easier to print and reference. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Tom, I can't tell you how invaluable these 'mini tuts' have been. You can only fly the same route so many times before you don't learn anything new. While we wait for Ryan's massive "holy grail of all flight tutorials", these have been a great bridge between 1 and 2. I used to do something similar to this for a living, and while it can be great fun, I know you really have to keep your head in the game, and is a great mental challenge. Thanks again for all your good work. D

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Tom, Excellent. Thanks a million for all your attention to these tutorials. Special thanks for posting the pdf for downloads - so much easier to print and reference. Ray
There are some serious conversion factors going on with this one. Wow.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Absolutely excellent tutorial. Can I suggest you x-post it to the general Tutorial forum, or just the FSX forum - I'd really have appreciated it there, but wouldn't've spotted it without the NGX in my hangar. Thanks for the hard work.

Paul Skol

Nice instructions... But if you are like me and don't like to fiddle around changing settings and digging around for charts, here is a simple version just to get a feeling of taking off from Innsbruck. Go to FS Commander (it's free but you can't save in the free version), and choose Innsbruck as the starting location on runway 8, and UUDD as the end location, and choose the J1 SID from the menu and add it to the flight plan. This will make a flight plan as far as RTT. Save it (make sure that the PMDG save option is clicked on) and call it something like INNSTakeoff, and start FSX with the right plane at Innsbruck. Then put say 2/3 fuel and full cargo in the FMC, and put the starting location at Innsbruck on the FMC. Now load the flight plan into the FMC by pressing the LOAD CO button. Press the dep/arr button but no SID (it is already loaded), and do the usual preparations described in the tutorial, which will give you the various v speeds if you do it as in the tutorial (don't use derate since youneed full power). Once you are on the runway (you can start there to save time), do the takeoff as in the tutorial. In the air, retract the gear, press the Vnavand LNav buttons and the CMD button to put everything under auto control. Except for retracting the flaps, the autopilot will fly you through the valley and up over the mountains to reach RTT at 10,000 feet. Just for fun I then hand-flew the aircraft back to Innsbruck without any navaids by following the flight path backwards. Everything went well as I followed the valley back to the airport, but I landed too slow (I was still heavy), and the tail hit the ground before the wheels and I crashed...DUH!

Henri Arsenault

Thanks, guys! Paul, up to this point I wasn't even aware that a Tutorial forum existed smile.png I'll make a post over there linking to these worked examples.

There are some serious conversion factors going on with this one. Wow.
Ray, I already thanked TOM for all tutorials but I also would like say you THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all others pdf. In last weekend I spent a lot of time with these material! FANTASTIC! Thank You!