Sign in to follow this  
Paulvanuf

Following tutorial; stops climbing at FL100

Started tutorial 1 twice now with the same result.Everything is normal until reaching FL100. Dialed FL250 when the FMC asks.When reaching FL100 (with 250kn), speed drops to plm 210, with the green 'up' at the speedtape.Until FL100, everthing went normal.Grz.Paul

Regards,
Paul - near EHRD

Have you tried deleting the speed restriction at FL100 ? In the tutorial they advise to edit it so as to stop the plane from leveling out and slowing down. I think you should maybe read that section carefully again. Hope that helps. Fred.

Thanks Fred,I just shot down, but I thought I'd edited the Fplan accordingly. But the drop in speed to manouveringspeed (correct?) is that managed by the FMC too? Or is that a result from another condition? Btw the plane does climb, but very, very slowly at 210kn. Grz.Paul Grz.Paul

Regards,
Paul - near EHRD

i had this issue think it was my hardware throttle not allowing full power, Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Did you hit the alt intervention button? You have to do that if youreached the dialed MCP alt.. Hit that button and it will resume the VNAVclimb and will climb to the new alt that is on the MCP. The reason forthat is so you don't bust ATC assigned altitude on the climb out.If I want to keep the climb uninterrupted, I hit the alt intervention buttonbefore I reach the dialed MCP alt. That way it will keep the VNAVclimb through that assigned alt without the level off.When passing through 10,000, the plane should pitch down a bit andpossibly throttle up a bit to get to the normal climb speed. Which isaround 300 IAS + or - depending on the cost index used. A costindex of about 45 or so will usually give you about 300 IAS..Or that's about what I seem to see.. If you use a cost index higher,say 55-60, you will goose it on up near 310 IAS or so.. Usually endsup doing about 308-309 or so.. :/If the plane slows down at 10,000, Houston, we have a problem.. sad.pngMark keith BTW, I edited some stuff where I typed in the wrong words..IE: speed intervention.. huh?.. :/Too much of a hurry typing..

What weather program are you using? The performance issue is probably caused by the air temperature outside your plane at higher altitudes. This is quite a common problem, maybe a pinned FAQ thread would help.

I followed the tutorial completely, so I did hit the button mentioned. With the two alt restrictions at 5000 en 6000 I did that twice before. The cost index in the tutorial is 25. It uses furthermore a derated climb mode 22K and a temp 40c. Clb-1 is selected. What is interesting, is that after fl100, the speed during the (attempt to) climb is ca 205kn (in stead of ca 300 what I would expect), equal to the green 'up' mark on the speed tape. My analisys is that there must be a combination of factors at fl100 in my situation that causes the problem. I am too unfamiliar with the plane and its systems to understand what is happening. I don't use a weatherprogram. So no solution yet... Thanks anyway for helping me out. The plane is beautiful. The pilot needs help :). Paul

Regards,
Paul - near EHRD

Thanks fot your suggestion. I will first try a flight without the derated climb.

Regards,
Paul - near EHRD

Gents, Problem solved. It appeared that in the FS-setup, it is necessary that US system for units is active (menu Settings - General, International, Units of measure = U.S. System (feet, inches)).So the PFD wasn't in feet, but in meters, so my FL100 was >30.000 feet. This accounted for another strange thing that I didn't mention above: the altitude in PFD and sec.HSI didn't match. Also solved :). Should be added to the Introduction or tutorial PDF (or both). I found the clue elsewhere in this forum. Now happily flying at FL250 inbound REDFA :). Grz. Paul

Regards,
Paul - near EHRD