Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

Painting

I would like to learn how to create a Livery for the NGX but how? I downloaded the NGX Paintkit, So what do I need to get started?

Theirs a manual that comes with the Paint Kit and this link may help too; http://forum.avsim.n...epaint+tutorial You need some kind of art program, such as but not limited to Photoshop, and be able to work with layers. If not I suggest you Google but the link I gave does describe layers. Think of it like dirt on a layer, aircraft windows on another, decals on a layer, shadow layer, the paint layer that that you add colour on, night time layer, shine layer and so on. When all the layers are added together that makes the plane texture. Each layer can be worked on separately to produce the whole texture without impinging on the other parts of the aircraft layers. Just take your time, keep backups and copies. Go search for pics of the skins you want to do and keep them all ina logical order in archive folders. Above all else have fun and enjoy, don`t forget to surface for air now and again. Steve

Theirs a manual that comes with the Paint Kit and this link may help too; http://forum.avsim.n...epaint+tutorial You need some kind of art program, such as but not limited to Photoshop, and be able to work with layers. If not I suggest you Google but the link I gave does describe layers. Think of it like dirt on a layer, aircraft windows on another, decals on a layer, shadow layer, the paint layer that that you add colour on, night time layer, shine layer and so on. When all the layers are added together that makes the plane texture. Each layer can be worked on separately to produce the whole texture without impinging on the other parts of the aircraft layers. Just take your time, keep backups and copies. Go search for pics of the skins you want to do and keep them all ina logical order in archive folders. Above all else have fun and enjoy, don`t forget to surface for air now and again. Steve
As stated above, you're not limited to PS, if you need to save money you can use GIMP : A freeware program that does just about everything as PS.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

He doesn't have enough memory to use Gimp and paint the NGX, Jamaljé. Edit: Actually I was looking at the specs of the first responder (I hear sleep fixes issues like that). However if he only has 4gb, he will in fact get out of memory issues. This has been brought up to me recently by my more active forum painter . The file size of course isn't the problem, but opening that 400mb file in PS will up your memory usage to approx 2.5gb. Now, run that on windows 7, count to 5 and watch for the out of memory window pop up. There are possible ways around that but of course you would still need to successfully open the master file to do it. Reducing the size by half would most likely work but even then I doubt painting with Gimp and 4gb ram would be a pleasure to do. You would also need to then cut all other PSD's down to 2048x2048. Still high def and enough res to do most if not all paint work. The large size though does help those of us that can paint them get details done but overall I think it's more a blessing to show off PMDG's detail and bump mapping then a painter honestly would need. I have several paints that not even Mac paint could tell were 2048 and not 4096 (other than looking at file size of course). As my ex tells me,,, it's not the size, it's how you use it ;) Edit of the Edit: Attached are 2 screenshots, before and after. Anyone with the NGX paint kit can compare and show I'm not smoking crack here. Even a PSD that is 20mb is going to use more memory than what the size of it's file is. Once the file is open, all the effects, fades, transparency/opacity etc... is applied so you can visually see it. So 20mb is binary, not what the file would be when alive in an editor. Sad but so many people only have 4gb of ram because they "Only" wanted a comp to run FSX, doh! Never listen to memory sizes for one program, you'll wish you spent the extra $10 on another 4gb at the time, trust me.Good luck to the original poster though. For the record, the paint tutorial linked there is fine, but I did have to repost it on my own forum where I could make constant corrections as users of CS4 and CS5 have made evident to me. If you use other than CS3 I recommend it over the linked one above. Otherwise that one is 100% accurate and you should still be able to use it and figure it out if using PSP or even Gimp.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Lets see now, I have 4 gig memory and get no OOM errors flying the plane, no OOM errors painting the plane. But then I never have had problems like that in the past. I also utilise certain methods that allow me to keep FSX settings high and still allow the system to work well, but I`ve already mentioned them many times in this forum and this thread isn`t about my machines capabilities-or at least not the OP`s intention to raise them. Some people with 64 bit Win 7 and 8 gig memory are getting OOM errors though as reported here in this forum, erm strange that one with more memory and still having the problem. But then my post was never about me or my abilities or lack of them in my machine, it was a plea for help and answered until sidetracked. As for the link I indicated it may help with layers if the OP didn`t have knowledge of them. Secondly, in this house I have 7 computers including a Mac. More 32 bit systems and 8/12 gig memory are not a problem, any number of spare video cards. all machines networked. Just because I use this machine to fly with doesn`t necessarilly mean I use it for everything else. But then I don`t have a problem doing any of them. Maybe now we can get back to helping the OP and not be sidetracked any further into a problem that at least for me hasn`t existed since a little while after FSX came out. Since then I`ve done some skinning and a whole lot of flying. Steve

First of all Steve, I do not sidetrack posts. I saw this and wanted to share my two cents. I also am not talking about "ME". The post you linked above was brought to my attention so came by to let the OP know that it will help, BUT also that since I wrote the thing I also learned from others that a lot of it will not work the same way in CS4. Now as for you painting the NGX with 4gb of ram, you sir are FOS. Do not bring your attitude to me my friend. That's like a boyscout going up against a serial killer. I give advice, nothing more. I know a little bit about painting and also strongly believe in forums being a knowledge base so pull out of me and be on your way.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

First of all Steve, I do not sidetrack posts. I saw this and wanted to share my two cents. I also am not talking about "ME". The post you linked above was brought to my attention so came by to let the OP know that it will help, BUT also that since I wrote the thing I also learned from others that a lot of it will not work the same way in CS4. Now as for you painting the NGX with 4gb of ram, you sir are FOS. Do not bring your attitude to me my friend. That's like a boyscout going up against a serial killer. I give advice, nothing more. I know a little bit about painting and also strongly believe in forums being a knowledge base so pull out of me and be on your way.
I`ll state exactly what I like. I use 4gig, it works, get used to it. I meet attitude and BS head on. END OF Mr. Cerial Killer, go get your corn flakes....

I can care less about your attitude. It's the fact that you think I stepped on your shoes and got your panties in a bunch from my post. OP has nothing to do with a Topic in a forum, you and lots of people need to learn that. A topic with good information is what it's about, and what I try to add if of course I can. My intentions and post being seen as you did are beyond comprehension. The fact of the matter is that people search and find topics (thus the knowledge base aspect of a topic). One good question leads to thousands after the OP to find it. My answers are seldomly to the OP and overkill to most OP's. They are for what others down the road may ask next down the road so I try to make them as thorough as possible. I wasn't trying to steal your glory or belittle your efforts. You really must be a sad individual to come to that conclusion from my original post.

Dan Prunier

He doesn't have enough memory to use Gimp and paint the NGX, Jamaljé. Edit: Actually I was looking at the specs of the first responder (I hear sleep fixes issues like that). However if he only has 4gb, he will in fact get out of memory issues. This has been brought up to me recently by my more active forum painter . The file size of course isn't the problem, but opening that 400mb file in PS will up your memory usage to approx 2.5gb. Now, run that on windows 7, count to 5 and watch for the out of memory window pop up. There are possible ways around that but of course you would still need to successfully open the master file to do it. Reducing the size by half would most likely work but even then I doubt painting with Gimp and 4gb ram would be a pleasure to do. You would also need to then cut all other PSD's down to 2048x2048. Still high def and enough res to do most if not all paint work. The large size though does help those of us that can paint them get details done but overall I think it's more a blessing to show off PMDG's detail and bump mapping then a painter honestly would need. I have several paints that not even Mac paint could tell were 2048 and not 4096 (other than looking at file size of course). As my ex tells me,,, it's not the size, it's how you use it ;) Edit of the Edit: Attached are 2 screenshots, before and after. Anyone with the NGX paint kit can compare and show I'm not smoking crack here. Even a PSD that is 20mb is going to use more memory than what the size of it's file is. Once the file is open, all the effects, fades, transparency/opacity etc... is applied so you can visually see it. So 20mb is binary, not what the file would be when alive in an editor. Sad but so many people only have 4gb of ram because they "Only" wanted a comp to run FSX, doh! Never listen to memory sizes for one program, you'll wish you spent the extra $10 on another 4gb at the time, trust me.Good luck to the original poster though. For the record, the paint tutorial linked there is fine, but I did have to repost it on my own forum where I could make constant corrections as users of CS4 and CS5 have made evident to me. If you use other than CS3 I recommend it over the linked one above. Otherwise that one is 100% accurate and you should still be able to use it and figure it out if using PSP or even Gimp.
Ah yes, I see what you're saying Dan...And if he does manage it, he'd have to go to the cinemas and watch a movie before it could finish :\Ignore the trolls.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

I`ll state exactly what I like. I use 4gig, it works, get used to it. I meet attitude and BS head on. END OF Mr. Cerial Killer, go get your corn flakes....
Don't be an idiot. It is unbecoming. Especially when said idiocy is directed toward a long time member of the community with a track record of helping anyone who asks.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Don't be an idiot. It is unbecoming. Especially when said idiocy is directed toward a long time member of the community with a track record of helping anyone who asks.
Scott ; +1 to this.Dan has been a great help on these forums.I hope to be like this one day. : And I've been off to a rough start so far.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue