Sign in to follow this  
veeshy

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Redistributables

For all of you guys running applications on a windows platform you would be aware that many applications requires the installation microsofts visual c++ runtime files. this includes fsx, pmdgs aircraft and varuius other games and apps. if you look carefully at ur progams you will find many copys of varius version of the files which can be quite messy. alot of the time even new applcations force you to install old runtime files. even inteligient installers will install older version even if u have the lastet version install. there a 3 base versions of the runtimes: 200520082010 all have been updated to sp1 for some time now. even so there are still minor secuirty fixes etc and you will find that there are many different versions. to keep it simple ill but up the latest builds of each runtime so you will always have the latest runtime files. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 (KB2538242)http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26347 Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 (KB2538243)http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26368 Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 (KB2565063)http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26999 These are the lastest installers so you only need these versions and not any previous versions. For those of you running 64-bit OS id recomend you install both x86 and x64 files. The way i go about it is when a application or program request to install a redist, i say yes and let it install. After all the instaltions are complete i go back to control panel are remove ALL (EACH AND EVERY ONE) c++ runtime file one by one then only install my new latest ones in acending order eg 2005sp1 2008sp1 2010sp1. after installation might be a good idea to reboot too. this way i only have the lastet verison with the latest files and fixes and no other conflicting versions. Please note when unsitalling all the runtimes, remember to only uninstall the microst runtimes, there is also an intel c++ runtime file out there and id advise NOT to touch it unless ur updating the intel ones too from intels website. (THEY ARE SEPERATE TO MICROSFTS ONE) by having this clean method i hardly come across any problems regarding stability of games, programs etc. its always good to have a clean pc and have everything up to date drvers, windows itself, bios files, programs, and every other component installed cleanly. half the problems my friends run into are software based conflicts through laziness and lack of awarness on whats on their pc and how it got there. ***another one to watch out for are the .net instalations. XP users need to install the standalone installers for .net 1.1 then .net 3.5sp1 which includes .net 2.0 and finally .net 4.0. 7 users only need to install .net 4.0 as all the previous versions are already intergrated into windows 7. also remeber to use windows updates as there are usualy updates and service packs availible for all the versions of .net that dont come with the standalone installers.*** Kaveesh

The way i go about it is when a application or program request to install a redist, i say yes and let it install. After all the instaltions are complete i go back to control panel are remove ALL (EACH AND EVERY ONE) c++ runtime file one by one then only install my new latest ones in acending order eg 2005sp1 2008sp1 2010sp1. after installation might be a good idea to reboot too. this way i only have the lastet verison with the latest files and fixes and no other conflicting versions.
This is not correct. Different programs require different versions of the runtimes as specified in their compiler manifest - that's why there's always so many different ones listed the programs list, every program installs exactly what it needs and the different versions of the dlls all go into their own separate folders within the Windows/winsxs folder. This folder is the Windows "side-by-side" system for maintaining different versions of system dlls. When a program runs it requests exactly the version that it was programmed with and the Windows side-by-side system directs it to the correct dll. "SP1" on runtimes is not the same thing as SP1 for FSX or Windows or whatever - it means that those runtimes are for applications programmed using the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 development software with *its* SP1 applied. It means SP1 of the actual Visual Studio suite that's used to make programs, it's not saying those are an SP1 version of the runtimes and you can uninstall anything else. Runtimes don't get outdated in the sense that normal programs do. This is my own runtimes list: redistributables.jpg All those different versions are there because I have programs installed that specify that they want those exact versions when they run. By removing all but the ones on the MS website, you're forcing programs to use versions of those runtimes that aren't necessarily the same ones they were programmed with and this can cause problems.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

As a side note, it's the same for .Net Frameworks..Net Framework 4.0 is no better than .Net Framework 3.5 or 2.0 (or whatever), they're different and each precise version is needed by the application that triggered the installation.

Not to mention that the NGX has absolutely nothing to do with .NET - it's pure C++ and DirectX stuff, that's why those are the two runtimes that get installed by it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

really? wow i didnt know that. bt then how come everything works absolutly perfectly for me including pmdgs stuff when i only have the lastest runtime clients installed? pretty much everything i run depends on runtimes iv removed including ati catalyst drivers, fsx, pmdg aircraft, my audio production suite running ableton live 8 and a number of vsts and plugins, games both old and new work absoultly without a glitch. if ur 100% sure then please let me know ill grab the other c++ redists too. all these years i was under the impression that i only needed the new ones. i even had problems with a few games crashing but these were fixed after removing and updating to the new runtimes odly enough. thanks for the info tho if its right. Kaveesh

Ryan works for PMDG and i'm a software engineer... so i think we're pretty sure and you can trust us on that ;) @Ryan > my comment about .Net Framework was just so that Kaveesh knows it's the same and he's not supposed to delete them

This is not correct. Different programs require different versions of the runtimes as specified in their compiler manifest -
So, what versions of what C++ 2008 runtime libraries does the PMDG manifest call for ? Maybe if that was known by users, they could check that they have the correct ones "still" installed.( and also do not have the same one installed more than once ).

really? wow i didnt know that. bt then how come everything works absolutly perfectly for me including pmdgs stuff when i only have the lastest runtime clients installed? pretty much everything i run depends on runtimes iv removed including ati catalyst drivers, fsx, pmdg aircraft, my audio production suite running ableton live 8 and a number of vsts and plugins, games both old and new work absoultly without a glitch. if ur 100% sure then please let me know ill grab the other c++ redists too. all these years i was under the impression that i only needed the new ones. i even had problems with a few games crashing but these were fixed after removing and updating to the new runtimes odly enough. thanks for the info tho if its right. Kaveesh
+1 This is my understanding, and EXACTLY the same "practical" experience as well. As far as PMDG is concerned, I initially has major instability issues after installing.After I removed all the 2008 C++ libraries,( and their Duplicates !!,) and then just installed the Latest version of the 2008 library, my computer has been rock stable, both for the PMDG 737NGX, as well as all other programs that use the C++ 2008 runtimes. I had always "assumed" that later version were always backwards compatable, and that any Version entries in the maifest, were to define the MINIMUM version that was needed. While this may be wrong, that assumption has never caused me any issues. If I am wrong, in this case, ignorance is bliss :) It works for me.

The .6161 I believe.
The only manifest dependancies I see are Microsoft.VC90.CRT" version="9.0.21022.8" "x86"(Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (9.0.21022.xxx)) Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect" version="10.0.61259.0" "x86"(FSX SP2 or Acceleration) Microsoft.VC80.CRT" version="8.0.50727.762" "x86" <----- 2005 = Strange ? ( Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 sp1 redistributable 8.0.50727.762 )

Microsoft.VC80.CRT" version="8.0.50727.762" "x86" <----- 2005 = Strange ? ( Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 sp1 redistributable 8.0.50727.762 )
OK, not so strange -- required by Simconnect.dll ?? Playing about (getting into trouble) with Dependancy Walker Whistle.gif MSVCR80.dll and MPR.Dll seems to have issues on my PC Maybe my system is not as "OK" as I first thought !!Then again, "If it aint broke, don't fix it" Anyone else who uses "Dependancy Walker" seeing anything amiss on their systems ?

Facinating Hypnotized.gif My PMDG 737 is installed on a 5 year old XP pro, that has not been rebuilt for 5 year. It has been through every version of FSX, including many of the FSX Betas. I also have a newer XP pro machine, a Win7 64 desktop, and Vista 64 laptop.4 in total. All seem to run FSX in a stable manner, ( some run FSX, for weeks at a time) Tried "Dependancy Walker" on all 4 machines, looking at local copies of the 737 dll gauge. All 4 returned multiple different dependancy errors. I have only the 737NGX installed the old XP machine, so I have no idea how would perform (or not) on the other developent test machines, but the point is : 4 different machines, each showing multiple different dependancy errors .... I would think this was significant, and may be an indication of why different users are getting seemingly different stability issues ? I would ideally like to see at least my PMDG 737 PC not have any dependancy error !! OK - Enough Yawn.gif ... maybe i'll get back to this over the weekend, after some feedback from others.

yeah thats what i though, im sure a new instalation would overwrite the previous dlls, for example i can only find one copy of MSVCR80.dll dll not 10 from each instalation on my pc. but i guess with ryan being the software developer he would know, although i might see if i can get an answer from other software developers or even microsofts visual basic department to be sure. Kaveesh

i can only find one copy of MSVCR80.dll
in MSVCR80.dll the 80 stands for 8.0... it's the Visual Studio version "attached" to the package that contains this dll... Visual Studio 8.0 is Visual Studio 2005... so MSVCR80.dll belongs to MS Visual C++ 2005 package.MSVCR90.dll => Vistual Studio 9.0 => Visual Studio 2008
even microsofts visual basic department to be sure.
Visual Basic (.Net) is based on .Net Framework, it's a different package... but same principle as i said

yeah was going through them just then just figured it now. ahh well ill ask the visual c dev guys. if i need multiple instlations, i go grab each one of mircrosofts website if necesarry. thanks. Kaveesh