Sign in to follow this  
NGX

Navdata out of date FMC Fix

<< I'm waiting for PMDG to fix the engines. They won't start unless the airplane is fueled. And, who wants to bother with that? >>Now that's naughty...LMAO.gif Bill Cusick

Updates are great and realistic but FSX database is frozen in time. There is no progression of magnetic variation for example. RW airports periodically modify navigation facilities or add/change runways and taxiways so upgrades are always necessary RW. But poor old FSX just lumbers along without changing so in our sim-world the charts of yesterday will always still be current tomorrow!!! Continually upgrading will only make the user progressively at odds with the FSX database over time... nothing worse than using a new published ILS frequency only to find out that FSX is still using the old one and you have already disgarded those old charts! Just some thoughts on the matter from an old pilot.

@HiFly: Look like you don`t fly online?So, in this case you do not really need new charts or database.But if you fly online, things changed.Look at EDDF in Germany. The 4th Runway is ready to use...

Updates are great and realistic but FSX database is frozen in time. There is no progression of magnetic variation for example. RW airports periodically modify navigation facilities or add/change runways and taxiways so upgrades are always necessary RW. But poor old FSX just lumbers along without changing so in our sim-world the charts of yesterday will always still be current tomorrow!!! Continually upgrading will only make the user progressively at odds with the FSX database over time... nothing worse than using a new published ILS frequency only to find out that FSX is still using the old one and you have already disgarded those old charts! Just some thoughts on the matter from an old pilot.
You can even solve that by adding new scenery that has the proper airport data etc..............

Yes I just bought German Airports 3 and am very pleased with it.Now I can do EDDT and EDDW

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

FSX can be a dynamic environment if you want it to be. There are updates for everything you have mentioned. :-)

FSX can be a dynamic environment if you want it to be. There are updates for everything you have mentioned. :-)
Now if only someone would create a system where users could submit updates and they could be installed automatically per chosen area by a program downloaded and installed on a user computer.. just dreaming Praying.gif

The problem is that, as far as i know, FSX is not very "plug and play" friendly with its internal navdata. It is extremely hard, even practically impossible to update navaids and airways. Things would have been immensely easier if they would have had some kind of system in place for all that data, but i think it is hard coded. Even so, as has been previously mentioned, you can update airports as need, if you have the money, or you're lucky enough to find a free version.

Cristi Neagu

The problem is that, as far as i know, FSX is not very "plug and play" friendly with its internal navdata. It is extremely hard, even practically impossible to update navaids and airways. Things would have been immensely easier if they would have had some kind of system in place for all that data, but i think it is hard coded. Even so, as has been previously mentioned, you can update airports as need, if you have the money, or you're lucky enough to find a free version.
Well, there is a navaid update to bring most of the VORs up to date, there are magdev updates to get the runways more in line with the magnetic headings, you can go on the AVSIM file library and scour them to find Afcads to get the default airfields to match more current if no THE current config, and who the hell cares about the FSX internal navdata? Not a single add-on aircraft that I know of uses internal navdata, it all uses information from the navigraph AIRAC, which will update all the waypoints and airways for you, and that is what you are using to fly so what is the big deal? When you jump into the world of FSX add-on aircraft, especially ones of the NGX's class, like the Level D 767, the Leo Maddog, other PMDG aircraft, the Eaglesoft C750, Wilco stuff, feelthere stuff, heck even the Coolsky Super 80, the internal FSX waypoints and airways become irrelevant, all of these do not interact at all with the FSXs default internal waypoints and airways. ILS will still be read from the FSX scenery, but with the Afcads it is pretty simple to update, and if there isn't one available, it is actually quite easy to use a freeware program (I cannot recall the name of it at the moment) to go in and edit the airport. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Go get a navigraph subscription and you will always have the up to date stuff. If you don't, but a new cycle every three months or so, or when you notice some of your favorite airports updates their procedures. But it is quite easy to keep your data reasonably up to date.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Myself, I just applied the "fix" so I wouldn't get the message. But already I haveseen issues where airports seemed to have changed.. IE: I flew to I think it wasTampa a day or two ago.. They changed the danged runways on me... The N/Srunways changed from 19 to 18, or visa versa.. I forgot which way they changed..But it kinda buggered me up when I checked ATIS for the runways in use on approach,and I didn't find it listed in my database.. But I quickly figured what had happenedand landed using the old runway numbers and ILS..I guess I'll need to upgrade FSX a tad to get things right. But until then, I'll keepusing the old database, being as it's a closer match to my current state of sim.I'll start looking for FSX updates first, and then maybe consider getting a new navdataset. For the vast majority of the airports I fly into, the old data is still OK.

Well, there is a navaid update to bring most of the VORs up to date, there are magdev updates to get the runways more in line with the magnetic headings, you can go on the AVSIM file library and scour them to find Afcads to get the default airfields to match more current if no THE current config, and who the hell cares about the FSX internal navdata? Not a single add-on aircraft that I know of uses internal navdata, it all uses information from the navigraph AIRAC, which will update all the waypoints and airways for you, and that is what you are using to fly so what is the big deal? When you jump into the world of FSX add-on aircraft, especially ones of the NGX's class, like the Level D 767, the Leo Maddog, other PMDG aircraft, the Eaglesoft C750, Wilco stuff, feelthere stuff, heck even the Coolsky Super 80, the internal FSX waypoints and airways become irrelevant, all of these do not interact at all with the FSXs default internal waypoints and airways. ILS will still be read from the FSX scenery, but with the Afcads it is pretty simple to update, and if there isn't one available, it is actually quite easy to use a freeware program (I cannot recall the name of it at the moment) to go in and edit the airport. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Go get a navigraph subscription and you will always have the up to date stuff. If you don't, but a new cycle every three months or so, or when you notice some of your favorite airports updates their procedures. But it is quite easy to keep your data reasonably up to date.
I was actually replying to Kyle's post (JET 1):
Now if only someone would create a system where users could submit updates and they could be installed automatically per chosen area by a program downloaded and installed on a user computer
The one real problem with FSX's navdata is when you're flying online with an aircraft that doesn't use internal navdata, but instead relies on the standard GPS, Even RealityXP's GNS530 isn't very good at navigating, because it relies on navdata form 2009, if i remember correctly.

Cristi Neagu

Ok I understand. And the RealityXP really is a pain in the you know what to update, but it can be done. Since the RealityXP GNS really is nothing more than the Garmin trainer software coupled to FSX for the inputs (where the Gramin trainer software you just input the numbers yourself and it sort of pretends to fly a fake plane), updates are available only when Garmin updates the training software. There was one that just came out so you can update the RealityXP GNS to fairly current NavData, within a year.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/