Sign in to follow this  
bluepilot76

ATC

Hi Pilots! What can I do about the rubish default ATC. Is there a good addon somewhere, with realistic procedures etc?I hope so! Richard

Radar Contact 4.
+1 on that...G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

So Radar Contact 4 is a direct replacement of the FS ATC running as 3rd party software, correct? Does it include voices? Does it allow me to talk back in voice, like voxATC?

So Radar Contact 4 is a direct replacement of the FS ATC running as 3rd party software, correct? Does it include voices? Does it allow me to talk back in voice, like voxATC?
Radar contact replaces the default ATC, although it is for IFR only, it includes voices although you can't talk back it is prompts only...A massive improvement over the default though....G

I must totally agree with the above statement. RCv4 has real world ATC controllers on the team. Bob

Another alternative is Edit Voicepack X v4.0. It's a free, easy to use utility that speeds up the speech and uses correct phraseology and syntax according to either FAA or ICAO standards. You even hear all the "thank you's", "G-Day's", etc. that you typically hear between real world pilots and controllers. Also allows you in install custom voice packs when using custom AI traffic that have their own unique callsigns. I've been using it for years and is highly recommended if you don't fly online or aren't interested in talking to the computer.

Hmm, looks like my wallet might be taking a hit on payday...thanks. I'd always thought it was a multiplayer ATC client and dismissed looking more into Radar Contact.

Or take the effort of learning how to use default ATC properly as it was supposed to be. Jim Vile (jvile02) and his posts here and over at fsdeveloper.com contain a wealth of info on proper usage if for one reason or another you would not want to use any of the offered alternatives which all have their own shortcomings of course. Alex

The only add on you need is FSUIPC, although you don't need the registered version to make it work. I think there is an unregistered version in the download...G

Another alternative is Edit Voicepack X v4.0. It's a free, easy to use utility that speeds up the speech and uses correct phraseology and syntax according to either FAA or ICAO standards. You even hear all the "thank you's", "G-Day's", etc. that you typically hear between real world pilots and controllers. Also allows you in install custom voice packs when using custom AI traffic that have their own unique callsigns. I've been using it for years and is highly recommended if you don't fly online or aren't interested in talking to the computer.
I have Edit Voicepack, but I'm obviously not taking full advantage of it. You mention hearing "thank you's etc...where do find these enhancements?

I have Edit Voicepack, but I'm obviously not taking full advantage of it. You mention hearing "thank you's etc...where do find these enhancements?
It's part of EVP's default speech package (not the FSX default). I've only ever used the ICAO option, so I can't tell you if they're missing from the FAA option, though I can't imagine that they wouldn't be there. When you start Edit Voicepack you should see a row of icons on the top of the window, with only one of them not greyed out. It's the second-from-left icon, and opens the Update Voicepack Wizard. Click on it. Once the wizard is open you'll see three settings in bold under "Current Settings". These are the settings you can choose as you navigate through the wizard. Make sure that "Change Settings" is checked on the bottom. Click [Next] The descriptions for the first option, "Voice Speed Adjustment", are self-explanatory. Read the description and choose your speech rate. I recommend the maximum. The buttons on the side give you a sample of the selected speech rate, and at Maximum they may seem a bit frenzied, but actually in FSX it is slowed down just a hair because of all the multitasking done by FSX. The Maximum is the closest to real-world speech rates, and in fact real-world speech can actually be even faster, especially in very busy areas were everything happens very quickly. Click [Next]. "Change ATC Phraseology" allows you to choose which real-world phraseology your pilot and the AI and controllers and pilots use, either FAA or ICAO based, but not both simultaneously. Choose one and click [Next]. "Update Airline Call Sign List" simply adds all the callsigns that EVP uses to the call sign list in the airplane selection menu. Recommended. Click [Next]. "Confirm Settings" is just that. Review what you've selected and click [update]. Give EVP a moment to update the speech in FSX, then once it's finished exit out of EVP. You're done. Now just start FSX and enjoy the new ATC.