Sign in to follow this  
Spindrift

The Pressure is Now On Microsoft for a Realease Date!

Quote from: http://www.x-plane.com/news/ August 25, 2011 X-Plane v10 for desktop is coming! We have now finalized the X-Plane 10 release schedule for Macintosh, Windows, and Linux desktop computers! X-Plane 10 will be available on Christmas of 2011, at which time you will be able to order X-Plane from www.X-Plane.com! Well well, the overdue rival has risen to the occasion... mayhaps our weary beast will rouse it's mighty graces to the cry of battle? wink.png Cheers, dance.gif EDIT: Please allow me to RE-spell: RELEASE. You know, like what MS should be doing... sooner than later. Please.

I don't see X-Plane posing as a threat to Flight at all. It will appeal to a much smaller audience than Flight will. Also, on a side note, X-Plane 10 is practically a neighborhood simulator. I don't think the level of detail in the ground scenery is needed. It's not like you are staring at the houses while you fly or anything. LMAO.gif I want my computer to put the processing power into the details of more important things, like the aircraft itself.

Brandon Filer

I don't see X-Plane posing as a threat to Flight at all. It will appeal to a much smaller audience than Flight will. Also, on a side note, X-Plane 10 is practically a neighborhood simulator. I don't think the level of detail in the ground scenery is needed. It's not like you are staring at the houses while you fly or anything. LMAO.gif I want my computer to put the processing power into the details of more important things, like the aircraft itself.
So you have never praised Orbx?

So you have never praised Orbx?
ORBX is a PAYWARE addon. Xplane's scenery by default is an attempt to be like ORBX but it fails. What I am trying to say is that I would rather devs for Xplane AND MS to make a good development platform and leave the rest of the goodies for devs like PMDG, ORBX, Flight1 etc.

If some of you feel that the developers for X-Plane are wasting their time on scenery, I can just imagine how you feel about the Microsoft Flight team spending such an incredible amount of time on just Hawaii. Talk about a monumental waste of time! Microsoft should just leave the fancy scenery for Orbx and the others to develop. Regards, Mike Mann

The beginning of the (US) holiday season in Nov has always been a key time for big announcements , if not big releases. FS was normally released around this time. I'm prety sure MS will show us something pretty spectacular around this time (more than Hawaii) which will leave us all drooling for a few more months. 

De Havilland Comet was the first jet liner to reach production, first flew in 1949 and subsequently suffered well publicized and catastrophic structural problems. Withdrawn from service, re:launched with problems fixed and never recovered in the market. Boeing 707 first commercial flight flew in 1958, learnt from flaws of Comet and went on to dominate air transport in the 1960’s. Not a totally apt comparison, but my point is the Flight team should take their time and get it right. What’s the hurry or to be precise what’s the pressure? Isn’t is funny how those people who shout the loudest for a product to be released are normally those that complain most loudly that the product is not right.

Why bash the detail in Xplanes environment? And then turn around and praise the scenery in Flight, seems a little biased and nonsensical. I've also read how sparse the scenery in Xplane is, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally I am impressed with what they have done.

Personally I am impressed with what they have done.
Actually, I am too. And I think some healthy competition can only raise the level higher that us, as the consumer, can/should only benefit from. Flight has been called many things, but a ' weary beast' ?? Good Luck X Plane. But I will wait as long as it takes for Flight to be released.

I only wish I had a viable option to decide between Flight and Xplane V10 when I started simming, as now I have so much invested there isn't even a choice. I simply hope Flight can sort out the coding in FSX and ensure it runs as it should run.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Isn’t is funny how those people who shout the loudest for a product to be released are normally those that complain most loudly that the product is not right.
Flight has been called many things, but a ' weary beast' ??
rolleyes.gif Wow, so much for my stab at poetic license... I was referring to the entire series in reference against X-Plane. And no, I don't think it will really steal anyone away from Flight, but it is the only major contender. Maybe it will just keep some of us occupied while we wait... And one other thing, I've never been the one who shouted/complained about what's wrong with previous versions... more like sobbed quietly in the corner... Cry.gif

Howard old friend how are you? We may (pure speculation here....dance.gif ) for us FSX simmers receive a little something from MS to make FSX better.....just think about this for a sec...not only you or me but a lot of developers have invested a lot of $$$ into FSX as far as sceneries, planes and more and they still have a lot of project on the table, lets just take Canberra as describe here in post # 50, http://forum.avsim.net/topic/340775-ms-flight-hawaii-screen-shots-vs-fsx-add-on-ones/page__st__25 2 years of work and it's done at 75% so it's only fair to assume that this will take close to another year to complete....and future projects from other developers are announced all the time...take Aerosoft for examples, they have a section just for Previews of Unreleased Products....here.... http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php/forum/103-previews-of-unreleased-products/ will these projects get discarded because Flight is released.... Since (as we all know) developers are in the loop with MS it is "kinda" clear to me that they don't want to shoot themself in the foot by having everybody going Flight when a lot of good project are still in the making for FSX, so what can make us FSX users with a lot of money invested in FSX not jumping into Flight right away at release and keep buying FSX add-ons....better perf. for FSX will do it IMHO... I can already ear some of you saying "MS will not release anything to improve FSX, FSX is a done deal" and maybe you are right, as for me knowing that MS is using the same engine (rebuilt from the ground up keeping what they see fit from FSX... Talking Ear Off.gif ) I'll say it's not impossible. popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif
I'll bite biggrin.png Sure nothing's impossible but it's like saying the sun might explode tomorrow, so improbable it might as well be impossible, there is just no profit to be made in releasing some kind of patch for FSX (if that's what you're implying).As for developers continuing to work on FSX projects; maybe they do have some inside info but for the sake of argument let's just assume they don't. What are they going to do? halt production completely because there is a future release in the next couple of years? Of course not. Another thing to keep in mind is that the shelf life of something like Flight Sim extends long after the successor has been released, so even when Flight is in the market there will still be customers for FSX products.

rolleyes.gif Wow, so much for my stab at poetic license... I was referring to the entire series in reference against X-Plane. And no, I don't think it will really steal anyone away from Flight, but it is the only major contender. Maybe it will just keep some of us occupied while we wait... And one other thing, I've never been the one who shouted/complained about what's wrong with previous versions... more like sobbed quietly in the corner... Cry.gif
Spindrift, I think you are being a little sensitive. My referance to ' Those People ' was not directed at you personally. In fact it was not directed at you at all. I will certainly stand by my comment about 'Flight being a 'weary beast'' as being totally inaccurate, but I applaud your use of a colourful metaphor. At the end of the day you have an opinion which I respect. The most contributing factor to the success of these forums is that we have an opinion that we can throw out to the world. You were only trying to maintain that equilibrium. No hard feelings I hope.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.