Sign in to follow this  
hoes

Autoland in tutorial flight to EHAM

Hi all. Despite reading all the various posts on not being able to engage CMD B once fully established with VOR/LOC and GS fully annunciated, I still cannot stop CMD A tripping out leaving me with a CWS annunciated. I have started cold and dark and have all hotfixes loaded. To be sure I was establshed I left it quite late before selecting the second autopilot and the diamond was pink (magenta?). I have the autopilot set to realistic. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.John

Hi all. Having had no replies to my earlier post, I trawled again through all the posts including the recent ones on autopilot disconnect at 100 feet etc. Having also read that some users had reinstalled to backtrack from the hot fixes, I did that as well. The tutorial flight was more stable I think, but, I stll could not get both autopilots to engage even when well established on the localiser and GS. Turning on CMD B turned off CMD A and left me on FD only. Reconnecting CMD A let me fly as normal to the landing (better practice I know!) but I am still intrigued as to why I cannot do a full autoland. I would still appreciate any advice on what I may still be doing incoreectly. ThanksJohn

You can only engage both autopilots by pressing APP !!!!

Hi all. Having had no replies to my earlier post, I trawled again through all the posts including the recent ones on autopilot disconnect at 100 feet etc. Having also read that some users had reinstalled to backtrack from the hot fixes, I did that as well. The tutorial flight was more stable I think, but, I stll could not get both autopilots to engage even when well established on the localiser and GS. Turning on CMD B turned off CMD A and left me on FD only. Reconnecting CMD A let me fly as normal to the landing (better practice I know!) but I am still intrigued as to why I cannot do a full autoland. I would still appreciate any advice on what I may still be doing incoreectly. ThanksJohn
You need to have both nav radios tuned to the ils. Also, you need to set the ils course on both course windows (captain and first officer).

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Thanks but I have done all of that. Both NAV radios are set to 110.10, both courses are set to 184, VORLOC is armed and APP has been switched on. Even with VORLOC and GS fully annunciated in the FMC I still cannot get both autopilots to engage.

Thanks but I have done all of that. Both NAV radios are set to 110.10, both courses are set to 184, VORLOC is armed and APP has been switched on. Even with VORLOC and GS fully annunciated in the FMC I still cannot get both autopilots to engage.
Are both FD's on ? A screenshot would be very helpful !!

Hi Frederick. Yes both are on from the start of the flight.John
Well it must be something very simple so !! What is your autothrottle status ?MCP SPEED ? A screenshot(s) would be great !!

Frederick. Thanks. I will fly it again and see if I can get a screen shot (if I can work out how!!). At the point of trying to engage CMD B I have single channel annunciated and I have set MCP to 148 (Vref+5). If I am actually faster than that and the "A" warning is displayed, is that enough to cause autoland to fail?John

Frederick. Thanks. I will fly it again and see if I can get a screen shot (if I can work out how!!). At the point of trying to engage CMD B I have single channel annunciated and I have set MCP to 148 (Vref+5). If I am actually faster than that and the "A" warning is displayed, is that enough to cause autoland to fail?John
Hi John ! To get a screenshot just press the Print Screen key at the top right of your keyboard.You can then paste it into paint or other programme and save as a JPG. When you then Reply to the topic you can Attach the pic that way.(do not use quote) Single Channel is correct with or with out both autopilots.It changes at 1500 ft.

Thanks Frederick. One last question then I'll try again and try the screenshot. I set everything up with 184 in Cap and FO course and 110.10 on both NAVS. However, at some point, without my intervention, it changes to 183 on both course displays. I'm guessing that makes no difference because otherwise I wouldn't even get single channel annunciated.I will end posts now given the time, try another flight and repost tomorrow with screen shot if successful.Thanks for your help so farJohn

Thanks Frederick. One last question then I'll try again and try the screenshot. I set everything up with 184 in Cap and FO course and 110.10 on both NAVS. However, at some point, without my intervention, it changes to 183 on both course displays. I'm guessing that makes no difference because otherwise I wouldn't even get single channel annunciated.I will end posts now given the time, try another flight and repost tomorrow with screen shot if successful.Thanks for your help so farJohn
That is not a problem but you can turn that off in the CDU PMDG seup section.It changes to 183 because it says 183 in the Nav Data from Navigraph.

Frederick. That's all understood. ThanksJohn
You are very welcome John. I like to be of help if I can. Fred.

Frederick - problem over!! The answer lay in taking more care throughout the process ensuring the correct actions were taken at the right time. I now have several satisfactory flights. Thanks again for your assistance. John