Sign in to follow this  
ashleyjames

LVL CH after takeoff

Hello captains,I finally downloaded the ngx after a few weeks away in sunny phlippines. Anyway finally back at Yssy and just want to know what the usage of LVL CH is after takeoff instead of vnav. I am very luck to have bought the official Boeing manuals from eBay but it not clear to me wheather I should use LVL CH instead of vnav after lift off. It only states LVL CH only with 1 engine inop unless I'm reading incorrect. Anyway I know a roll mode should be selected first but I'm interested toKnow what you all select other than vnav after lift off? I know V/S is not great as it does not provide speed protection.

I preselect LNAV and LVL CH prior to takeoff. Engage autopilot once airborne. Then select VNAV when I'm ready. I don't think you can preselect VNAV prior to takeoff. Martin Wilby

VNAV is probably the standard. V/S can be used to smooth out low-level level-offs so it's more comfortable for the passengers. Most of the pilots I see using LVL CHG tend to be 737-200 pilots who don't like automation. I'd say stick with VNAV.

Matt Cee

I preselect LNAV and LVL CH prior to takeoff. Engage autopilot once airborne. Then select VNAV when I'm ready. I don't think you can preselect VNAV prior to takeoff. Martin Wilby
If I understand correctly your post, of course you can... Before take off you can push Vnav (may be you must but not sure) if you have a route in FMC. Generally LVL CHG used to follow controlers orders... I said "generally" not every time... Regards, Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I preselect LNAV and LVL CH prior to takeoff.
I don't think that'll do anything, will it? When you hit TOGA for takeoff, you'll cancel the MCP SPD and it'll go to TOGA.

Matt Cee